PDA

View Full Version : 2 Xr30 Gen 3's or a 8x24w ati hybrid

Joke
02/16/2018, 12:49 AM
I'm setting up a frag tank that measures 36x30x18h and I'm just wondering what would be the best option. I already have the xr30 gen 3's that I got for a present a while ago. If I go the hybrid it will probably cost me an extra $500 with bulbs if I sold the radions. Is it worth the money or will the radions provide adequate coverage?
Note: The radions would be hung sideways to light the width (front to back) of the tank.

solitude127
02/16/2018, 09:06 AM
What kind of lighting do you currently have on your DT now? If it were me, I would try to have my frag tank lighting mimic my DT lighting so that the corals don't need to adjust to different lighting.

mcgyvr
02/16/2018, 10:34 AM
If you don't mind the added costs associated with the ATI then in general fluorescent is more "set it and forget it" vs LED only solutions..

Either are capable of growing corals.. Many feel that T5's will do it better..

jda
02/16/2018, 10:43 AM
Either use the Radions, or just get T5s. Forget the hybrid... they are the worst of both worlds... like trying to run a NFL team with 2 QBs. You will do better in a frag tank if you just invest 100% in either - the only reason to have the hybrid is for dusk/dawn, thunderstorms and tricks and this is not necessary on a frag tank where you should just use the cash and power for extra growth and color. This can make the switch a lot cheaper, as well.

Why get a 24" T5 fixture instead of a 36"? The 36" bulbs are barely any more than the 24" when you replace them.

I would personally do the ATI with 4 GE 6500K and 4 True Actinic bulbs. These will yield growth and color that the Radion or even a T5 using B+, C+ or P+ bulbs. However, I would also just run the Radions rather than buy a hybrid.

Joke
02/16/2018, 02:15 PM
What kind of lighting do you currently have on your DT now? If it were me, I would try to have my frag tank lighting mimic my DT lighting so that the corals don't need to adjust to different lighting.
Good point, my tank is being setup with a Giesemann Spectra, but everyone that I sell frags to only run leds.

Joke
02/16/2018, 02:19 PM
If you don't mind the added costs associated with the ATI then in general fluorescent is more "set it and forget it" vs LED only solutions..

Either are capable of growing corals.. Many feel that T5's will do it better..

I'm just worried about coverage more than anything with the leds. Should 2 xr30's provide good coverage over my tank?

Joke
02/16/2018, 02:33 PM
Either use the Radions, or just get T5s. Forget the hybrid... they are the worst of both worlds... like trying to run a NFL team with 2 QBs. You will do better in a frag tank if you just invest 100% in either - the only reason to have the hybrid is for dusk/dawn, thunderstorms and tricks and this is not necessary on a frag tank where you should just use the cash and power for extra growth and color. This can make the switch a lot cheaper, as well.

Why get a 24" T5 fixture instead of a 36"? The 36" bulbs are barely any more than the 24" when you replace them.

I would personally do the ATI with 4 GE 6500K and 4 True Actinic bulbs. These will yield growth and color that the Radion or even a T5 using B+, C+ or P+ bulbs. However, I would also just run the Radions rather than buy a hybrid.

Thanks, the initial cost of a 39w hybrid is a lot more where I live. I guess going for a sunpower or a powermodule non hybrid is not a bad idea, but i wanted something different to mess with. If the coverage is good enough on the radions I would just stick with them though, plus everyone uses pure led where i live, so it may be beneficial in that way.

HBtank
02/16/2018, 03:10 PM
I'm just worried about coverage more than anything with the leds. Should 2 xr30's provide good coverage over my tank?

I think people are happiest with the Ecotechs at 12" spacing between clusters on typical tank dimensions. So square tanks makes that tricky!!

If anything I would go 4 X15's over 2 X30's just to have more control on spacing. But even then, 6 X15s sounds better, 12" in one direction and 15" in the other.

Or just go for T5's :) Honestly, with a frag tank I would want to use every single square inch and have it almost be equal across it... T5s do exactly that!

Joke
02/16/2018, 03:20 PM
I think people are happiest with the Ecotechs at 12" spacing between clusters on typical tank dimensions. So square tanks makes that tricky!!

If anything I would go 4 X15's over 2 X30's just to have more control on spacing. But even then, 6 X15s sounds better, 12" in one direction and 15" in the other.

Or just go for T5's :) Honestly, with a frag tank I would want to use every single square inch and have it almost be equal across it... T5s do exactly that!
I already have the xr30's,I think it would be a complete waste of money buying the 4 or so xr15's, it would provide better coverage though.

jda
02/16/2018, 06:15 PM
Are you fragging to be a good friend and as a hobbyist, or to try and make some money? If you are trying to run a semi-legit business, then get the T5s and use lots of daylight to get the actual colors of the coral going... you can always put them under blue LED for the photos like the other guys do. If you are just being a hobbyist, then there might be something to just using what everybody else is using.

Joke
02/16/2018, 06:29 PM
Are you fragging to be a good friend and as a hobbyist, or to try and make some money? If you are trying to run a semi-legit business, then get the T5s and use lots of daylight to get the actual colors of the coral going... you can always put them under blue LED for the photos like the other guys do. If you are just being a hobbyist, then there might be something to just using what everybody else is using.

Thanks for the help!
So the Radions should produce enough coverage? I have no business going on but i do like to sell and trade between friends and hobbyist, some money here and there is always nice.

jda
02/16/2018, 07:10 PM
They would probably be OK, especially for the center of the tank. Coverage is not a huge issue with frags anyway - this is more of a colony thing. You can always rotate the frags in the racks. You can run them way up high at a higher percentage, as well. Everybody has lower-light stuff that they keep off on the sides - this is where I grow my bounces and jawbreakers that I sell.

You can always use them and sell them later if you decide against them.

The only issue that I would have about growing frags under Radions does not apply to you - for me, it would restrict the set of people who would trade and buy from me (I am not a huge seller anyway) since about 80-90% of them are high end guys like I am and use T5 and MH for the vast majority.

Joke
02/16/2018, 08:42 PM
They would probably be OK, especially for the center of the tank. Coverage is not a huge issue with frags anyway - this is more of a colony thing. You can always rotate the frags in the racks. You can run them way up high at a higher percentage, as well. Everybody has lower-light stuff that they keep off on the sides - this is where I grow my bounces and jawbreakers that I sell.

You can always use them and sell them later if you decide against them.

The only issue that I would have about growing frags under Radions does not apply to you - for me, it would restrict the set of people who would trade and buy from me (I am not a huge seller anyway) since about 80-90% of them are high end guys like I am and use T5 and MH for the vast majority.

Have you seen the size of frags in Australia? Hehe.
I do wish people would use more halides and t5 where i live, it would save me from having to acclimate to new light (halide/t5).
T5 and halides would always be my choice, but having the lights already I may just give it a shot like you said and sell if necessary.
How much are you looking at for used (but in good condition) xr30 Gen 3 pros these days?
Thanks everyone for the help!