PDA

View Full Version : Uv sterilizer yay or nay?

billaweed
02/18/2018, 05:53 PM
So this could very well be partly the fact that my tank is only a few months old and the fact i just added a sump, but i have a bacteria bloom clouding my tank. It's happened before when my tank was just through its cycle. I have plenty of surface agitation (2 700gph powerheads and my sump return) and filter floss in my sump, but its still cloudy. All my parameters are perfect. Would a uv sterilizer help?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

billaweed
02/18/2018, 05:58 PM
So this could very well be partly the fact that my tank is only a few months old and the fact i just added a sump, but i have a bacteria bloom clouding my tank. It's happened before when my tank was just through its cycle. I have plenty of surface agitation (2 700gph powerheads and my sump return) and filter floss in my sump, but its still cloudy. All my parameters are perfect. Would a uv sterilizer help?

Sent from my SM-G930P using TapatalkHeres a pichttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180218/88cb8f8dcface6e385f28bc30e79a3f3.jpg

Breadman03
02/18/2018, 06:13 PM
It might. The water in my 150 looked like that for 3 years until I added a UV. It was a continual haze that didn't seem to be there when my lights first turned on, but was clearly visible 15 minutes later.

Bent
02/18/2018, 06:35 PM
Are you dosing any carbon?

Dmorty217
02/18/2018, 07:33 PM
Yes it will help

billaweed
02/18/2018, 08:40 PM
Are you dosing any carbon?Yes. Running active carbon

2_zoa
02/18/2018, 08:48 PM
Yes. Running active carbon

Bent, was referring to a carbon source. Ie....dosing vinegar, sugar, vodka, either singular, or any combination of the three.

Dosing a carbon source drives bacteria. Which, could have been one of the reasons you have cloudy water.

billaweed
02/18/2018, 08:51 PM
Bent, was referring to a carbon source. Ie....dosing vinegar, sugar, vodka, either singular, or any combination of the three.

Dosing a carbon source drives bacteria. Which, could have been one of the reasons you have cloudy water.Ohh.. i have never "dosed" anything. I usually dose myself with vodka tho.. ;)

billaweed
02/18/2018, 09:06 PM
I was reading through some forum posts and seeing a 50/50 on whether or not UV Sterilizers are good for prolonged use. Based on the assumption that they kill all bacteria good and bad. So if i get one should i use it to clear up the bacteria bloom then turn it off or ?

FirstContact
02/18/2018, 09:09 PM
I run ozone. I would think a UV sterilizer would result in the same thing - clear water. With ozone you recharge the silica beads every week or so depending on how many cartridges you have. With UV you usually replace the bulb once a year. An ozone generator can be turned up or down depending on the size of your system. A UV sterilizer has to purchased at the appropriate size and flow for your system.

2_zoa
02/18/2018, 09:23 PM
I was reading through some forum posts and seeing a 50/50 on whether or not UV Sterilizers are good for prolonged use. Based on the assumption that they kill all bacteria good and bad. So if i get one should i use it to clear up the bacteria bloom then turn it off or ?

If you get one, get a good one. Don’t go cheap. Unless it’s a good one for cheap.

I run one and I run the flow rate as such that I get a polished water look from it. So, flow rate really determines what they kill. The bacteria we want colonize surfaces and not so much in the water column. So a uv really wont kill the good bacteria in an established tank.

It really depends on what’s truly causing the cloudy water. Stirred up sand, after water changes, age.....what is your alk, cal, mag numbers out of curiosity.

MGP
02/18/2018, 09:34 PM
Run one for a few days and clear up your tank, after that decide if you want to keep running it. I bet you will

billaweed
02/18/2018, 09:34 PM
If you get one, get a good one. Don’t go cheap. Unless it’s a good one for cheap.

I run one and I run the flow rate as such that I get a polished water look from it. So, flow rate really determines what they kill. The bacteria we want colonize surfaces and not so much in the water column. So a uv really wont kill the good bacteria in an established tank.

It really depends on what’s truly causing the cloudy water. Stirred up sand, after water changes, age.....what is your alk, cal, mag numbers out of curiosity.Havent tested ka or mag, but calcium is 450'ish as of yesterday. In the morning my water is clear, but later in the day it geys cloudy. I also added a couple pieces of rock yesterday that that was cured but not live. And like i said i added a sump yesterday as well. This all started after adding my sump.

I did have a bacteria bloom a month ago that went away after a week, but kinda weird to have another one unless its just common for newr tanks..

billaweed
02/18/2018, 09:35 PM
I meant to say alk and calcium.

billaweed
02/18/2018, 09:36 PM
I meant to say alk and calcium.

Sent from my SM-G930P using TapatalkLol... alk and mag!

billaweed
02/18/2018, 09:38 PM
Run one for a few days and clear up your tank, after that decide if you want to keep running it. I bet you willIll order one.. any suggestions? I would like a solid inexpensive one.

Whats odd is that my buddy has the same setup and he has crystal clear water with no sump. Although his tank is 3 years old

JenkinsThePole
02/18/2018, 09:39 PM
I just had a weird snowball effect of dead snails that left my tank like that for a few weeks. Have you noticed any increase in algae in the tank? If so they may be using up all of the nutrients you're testing before hence the good parameters. My other question for you is what all is in that sump? If you have any rubble or sand in it then maybe the particles are just getting kicked up. My problem still isn't 100% resolved but it got a lot better after I found all the dead snails and got them out. If the problem doesn't get better then I would try one but i'd give it a few more days. I lost about $40 in livestock (no corals thankfully) from what I assume was the oxygen getting stripped from the tank from bloom. Which for $60 I could've got a sterilizer and maybe saved that livestock. But from what i've read yay or nay on it seems to be pretty polarized. I'd at least rule out precipitation though. I read somewhere that getting a glass of tank water and letting it sit overnight should show you if its bacteria or something like really fine suspended sand. Good Luck.

2_zoa
02/18/2018, 09:40 PM
So, it might be precipitation. Adding the sump would mean an addition of water. As I mentioned, water changes can cause cloudy water.

Bent
02/18/2018, 09:42 PM

It really depends on what’s truly causing the cloudy water. Stirred up sand, after water changes, age.....what is your alk, cal, mag numbers out of curiosity.

I’m running a cheapo 75 watt sunsun. It’s doing great. Had some issues getting intact quartz sleeves from the seller but eventually got a pair. So far so good but it’s only been a week.

110 bucks for 75 Watts is hard to pass up.

2_zoa
02/18/2018, 09:44 PM
I just had a weird snowball effect of dead snails that left my tank like that for a few weeks. Have you noticed any increase in algae in the tank? If so they may be using up all of the nutrients you're testing before hence the good parameters. My other question for you is what all is in that sump? If you have any rubble or sand in it then maybe the particles are just getting kicked up. My problem still isn't 100% resolved but it got a lot better after I found all the dead snails and got them out. If the problem doesn't get better then I would try one but i'd give it a few more days. I lost about $40 in livestock (no corals thankfully) from what I assume was the oxygen getting stripped from the tank from bloom. Which for $60 I could've got a sterilizer and maybe saved that livestock. But from what i've read yay or nay on it seems to be pretty polarized. I'd at least rule out precipitation though. I read somewhere that getting a glass of tank water and letting it sit overnight should show you if its bacteria or something like really fine suspended sand. Good Luck.

Depends on what the water parameters are, that aren’t being measured. Even the brand of salt.

billaweed
02/18/2018, 09:45 PM
I just had a weird snowball effect of dead snails that left my tank like that for a few weeks. Have you noticed any increase in algae in the tank? If so they may be using up all of the nutrients you're testing before hence the good parameters. My other question for you is what all is in that sump? If you have any rubble or sand in it then maybe the particles are just getting kicked up. My problem still isn't 100% resolved but it got a lot better after I found all the dead snails and got them out. If the problem doesn't get better then I would try one but i'd give it a few more days. I lost about $40 in livestock (no corals thankfully) from what I assume was the oxygen getting stripped from the tank from bloom. Which for $60 I could've got a sterilizer and maybe saved that livestock. But from what i've read yay or nay on it seems to be pretty polarized. I'd at least rule out precipitation though. I read somewhere that getting a glass of tank water and letting it sit overnight should show you if its bacteria or something like really fine suspended sand. Good Luck.I have a huge increase in coralline algae. Literally purple spots all over my glass and rock. But no bad algae. All parameters are good too. And nothing has died in my tank. I wonder if its just particulates from changing my zeolite and active carbon. Although that doesnt explain why the cloudiness gets worse during the day.

Fish and coral seem to be not affected

billaweed
02/18/2018, 09:45 PM
I use IO for salt

Bent
02/18/2018, 09:48 PM
I’m not convinced that’s a bacterial bloom. Looks parcipitant to me...

2_zoa
02/18/2018, 09:51 PM
I have a huge increase in coralline algae. Literally purple spots all over my glass and rock. But no bad algae. All parameters are good too. And nothing has died in my tank. I wonder if its just particulates from changing my zeolite and active carbon. Although that doesnt explain why the cloudiness gets worse during the day.

Fish and coral seem to be not affected

Why do you have zeolite in your system? Did you rinse it well?

billaweed
02/18/2018, 09:59 PM
Why do you have zeolite in your system? Did you rinse it well?I rinsed it as good as i could. I put it in as preventative measures for ammonia tho i don't really need it i guess. For whatever reason i thought it was a good idea and have been replacing it once a month since i started Rinsing it till its clean.

RCS82
02/18/2018, 10:03 PM
Your tank is very young and your sump is brand new. I would let things establish and settle in first. I think they can be a great addition to a tank, like many things, but many people run crystal clear tanks without. Are you running a skimmer? mechanical filtration? carbon dosing?
And zeolite?

Bent
02/18/2018, 10:21 PM
Zeolite, in a way, is essentially carbon dosing.

I would take it offline. I bet money that’s what is fueling the bacteria.

billaweed
02/18/2018, 10:30 PM
Zeolite, in a way, is essentially carbon dosing.

I would take it offline. I bet money that’s what is fueling the bacteria.Ok. Ill pull it and see if it clears up.

billaweed
02/19/2018, 09:31 PM
Checked parameters again today and all is good.

Calcium is 440-460
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Ph 8.0

Its gotta be a bacteria bloom. I added 4-5 gallons with the new sump, added 8 lbs of cured rock (not live). And my leather coral is not doing well.

billaweed
02/19/2018, 10:19 PM
And here is a video. Looks like a ton of particulates and micro bubbles floating around as well.

https://youtu.be/WsTVOIV-n3s

2_zoa
02/20/2018, 05:53 AM
Micro bubbles could be a couple things. Plumbing not sealed and sucking in air, power head pulling air down form the surface via a vortex, of course a skimmer. It looks like a fair amount of stuff on the surface of your water. Does your overflow skim the surface? How big is the overflow?

What kind of leather coral?

billaweed
02/20/2018, 07:21 PM
Micro bubbles could be a couple things. Plumbing not sealed and sucking in air, power head pulling air down form the surface via a vortex, of course a skimmer. It looks like a fair amount of stuff on the surface of your water. Does your overflow skim the surface? How big is the overflow?

What kind of leather coral?Well i made the overflow myself and instead of slots in the ware i drilled holes. And looking at it, its not skimming the top of the water at all. The water is being pulled in through the lower holes and not the top. Ill have to rethink my design and use a bigger pipe with slots instead of holes.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180221/9cc360c2570776b1c5b5655d18c5d419.jpg

2_zoa
02/21/2018, 05:49 AM
Interesting overflow. Did you build the full version of the diy overflow, or is that just a pipe running down to the sump?

Have you seen or heard that siphon break hole on your return draw in air?

billaweed
02/21/2018, 07:43 AM
Interesting overflow. Did you build the full version of the diy overflow, or is that just a pipe running down to the sump?

Have you seen or heard that siphon break hole on your return draw in air?It is the full version of diy overflow. I am totally aware now that it sucks air. Lol. But im afraid if i dont have a siphon break it wont be fail proof. It starts and stops on its own right now.

Im thinking i need a bubble trap in my sump.

billaweed
02/21/2018, 10:01 AM
I did re-cut my weir so that it skims the surface. Water looks a lot better. Still a little cloudy, but the micro bubbles are crazy.

2_zoa
02/21/2018, 07:45 PM
I did re-cut my weir so that it skims the surface. Water looks a lot better. Still a little cloudy, but the micro bubbles are crazy.

I was referring to the hole that’s drilled in the return pipe. If that’s sucking in air then you gonna blow bubbles. Your picture looks like that hole is pretty close to the surface.

billaweed
02/21/2018, 08:51 PM
I was referring to the hole that’s drilled in the return pipe. If that’s sucking in air then you gonna blow bubbles. Your picture looks like that hole is pretty close to the surface.Ohhh.. yea it is. I can lower it. Let me see if lowering helps

billaweed
02/21/2018, 09:29 PM
I was referring to the hole that’s drilled in the return pipe. If that’s sucking in air then you gonna blow bubbles. Your picture looks like that hole is pretty close to the surface.I took a new video so u can see the whole system

https://youtu.be/UxQw5RoFBq0

billaweed
02/25/2018, 12:38 PM
UPDATE: I found my old Red sea prizm skimmer and put it in my sump last night. Ran it all night and water was pretty much clear by morning. Lots of dark skimmate in the cup. Kinda weird tho, cause my water parameters were perfect.

Still have a small amount of constant micro bubbles but im certain its from mu return line

Chocobo
02/26/2018, 02:57 PM
UPDATE: I found my old Red sea prizm skimmer and put it in my sump last night. Ran it all night and water was pretty much clear by morning. Lots of dark skimmate in the cup. Kinda weird tho, cause my water parameters were perfect.

Still have a small amount of constant micro bubbles but im certain its from mu return line

I think there are other organics you could have in the water that you aren't testing for which could contribute to cloudiness but be skimmed out.

billaweed
02/26/2018, 04:01 PM
I think there are other organics you could have in the water that you aren't testing for which could contribute to cloudiness but be skimmed out.Only testing kits i have are for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph, and calcium