PDA

View Full Version : Hello reefers

Seawolf63
02/18/2018, 10:35 PM
Hey reefers, I'm new to saltwater and reef set ups, I've had a few fresh water set ups in the past but always wanted to try a reef tank. I set up a 60 gal tank about 4 months ago. I've got a fluval canister filter, a coralife super skimmer, full spectrum lighting. 50 lbs of mixed live and dry rock. I've stocked it with about 20 various snals,1 emrald crab 1 Sally litefoot,2 blueleg hermits,3 peppermint shrimp ,1 fire shrimp, 1 yellow tailed blue damsel,1 flame angel,1 fire gobie,1 green madrain gobie,1 black Molly 2 feather duster,1 pinktipped hatian anomie,3 Coral's frags.loving this so far everyone seams healthy and happy. But still learning and have a million questions.

gonereefing654
02/18/2018, 11:19 PM
Congrats on the new set up. Saltwater is a hole new level with all kinds of new stuff. Someone here has already made any mistake you could possibly make. So ask, any time something seems off. That whole ounce of prevention thing definitely applies.
I wouldn’t add any other live stock for a while. You kinda added a lot already. make sure you keep up on cleaning that filter. I would use a bag of chemi pure instead of the carbon bag.
Always rinse frozen food.

Reef noob_
02/19/2018, 07:13 AM
Help and welcome to this great hobby!

I would ditch the canister filter if I were you, without regular cleaning (3X a week) they start to do more harm than good.

Do you have any kind of additional circulation in your tank from powerheads or wavemakers? Flow is a very important component of a reef tank.

Your green mandarin goby (which is actually a dragonette not a goby) is a very difficult to keep fish and requires a mature tank to sustain because they only eat these little creatures called cope pods that live and reproduce in the rock. With a tank as small as yours that does not utilizes refugium, your mandarin will likely not last very long.

If you have any questions be sure to ask away, the people on here are always looking to help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk