PDA

View Full Version : ESHOPPS S-200 Skimmer on Red Sea Reefer XL 425 [112 Gallon Total, 88 Gallon DT]

Chocobo
02/19/2018, 10:51 AM
Hey guys!

It looks like the skimmer I ordered may be a bit too big for my set-up. The ESHOPPS S-200 is what I have. I can return it and get a smaller one if that's best.

My goal was to be able to add fish and corals to the tank without having to worry about whether my skimmer can keep up and/or having to empty the skimmer cup as often.

That said my research has told me that I'd probably be better off with a smaller skimmer from a consistency standpoint even if I do have to empty the cup more often.

From my math the S-120 or S-150 should do fine. The S-200 is rated to 120 gallons with a heavy bioload - and I was hoping to have the tank pretty heavily loaded just not initially [it will take time].

The S-120 lists a light bioload of 120G so if I went with it I think I'd have to upgrade at some point down the road? That said as it will take quite some time for me to add fish and corals this may not be a bad idea?

I'm trying to proactively avoid issues if possible :).

HBtank
02/19/2018, 01:31 PM
I would have said the 150 (I think a 5-6" skimmer is good for you) but it appears it might be discontinued, and not offered in the latest generation of theirs? I could only find the 120 and 200 as the 4th generation versions; that may or may not matter, just an FYI.

There are lots of skimmers in this range, I think you might outgrow the 120 someday, but the 150 should be able to go from low-high and maintain bubbles in your tank IMO.

zooman72
02/19/2018, 01:41 PM
If you want the mid-size version of the 3rd-gen S-150, you have to go with the "mid-level" Axium series, which would be the X-160. The premier S-series and mid-level X-series use the same Sicce pumps, but have different features - the premier S-series are meant to be easier to service with a twist-off base and quick release pump, and of course has the different bubble plate (not sure how much more effective it is).

I personally think the S-200 will be to big, so I would either go with the S-120 or the X-160.

Chocobo
02/19/2018, 02:55 PM
I am also thinking the S-200 will be too big, but feels like I could too easily outgrow the S-120. The S-150 does look good but as mentioned doesn't seem to be available anymore.

The only other thing I can think of is that I will have a 73 gallon and 88 gallon display - I could possibly plumb them together to give me more water volume but I don't have a basement [first floor, concrete] so I'm not sure where I'd hide the sump I'd want to run for that large of a set-up. I suppose I could have sump 1 over-flow into sump 2 but I don't think that'd work very well with them being on the same level.