PDA

View Full Version : Want to Add a Clownfish

mluntz
02/22/2018, 11:00 AM
I had a pair of clownfish. Unfortunately one of them passed away. I want to get another one. Does it make sense to get a smaller one to cut down on aggression? Thanks

EdgeN
02/22/2018, 11:07 AM
That's what I would do... Usually when there's a size difference between the two the whole male female issue is resolved too.

davocean
02/22/2018, 12:39 PM
Not just a size issue, but it would have to be at least small enough to assure either sexless or still male, if you are adding to a female, and that's usually no bigger than an inch and a quarter, the smaller the better.

If you are adding to an existing male(not sure which of yours perished, but larger is female) that can be done, if you do it relatively quickly, though this may mean bypassing QT which most of us are not fond of.

Safest usually though is just add a small male, and best is to intro in a specimen container to observe, and sometimes people will do this in QT tank.

Uncle99
02/22/2018, 01:08 PM
Above plus...Same species, same colour pattern, equals less problems...

davocean
02/22/2018, 01:31 PM
^^ Pretty much, at least w/ less issues, but you can mix black or orange together pretty easily of same species occs or percs, and actually mixing those 2 species is not uncommon, and in rare cases other species have been mixed, but it's a lot more difficult to do.

Frost_Hydra
02/22/2018, 02:45 PM
I have a pair of Occelaris clownfish, the female which is just a regular midbar one is about 1.5 years old, while the male is a Darwin Ocellaris and is 1 year old, yet only half the size as the female.

The females original mate passed away, so before adding her "replacement" I made sure it was very small to ensure it was a male.

Even though they are both Ocellaris, their colors and patterns are very different, yet they get along fine.

mluntz
02/24/2018, 11:07 AM
^^ Pretty much, at least w/ less issues, but you can mix black or orange together pretty easily of same species occs or percs, and actually mixing those 2 species is not uncommon, and in rare cases other species have been mixed, but it's a lot more difficult to do.

I actually would want a black one to go with the orange. Something for me to think about definitely.

cody6766
02/24/2018, 12:50 PM
I look for a tank with a group of young clowns, the buy the smallest one. I've done this several times and never had a single issue. I prefer to look for an undifferentiated fish rather than a male. It just makes it that much more likely the female will accept (future) him.

Djbeasley05
02/24/2018, 05:23 PM
I actually would want a black one to go with the orange. Something for me to think about definitely.

I have a black and maroon that play nicely together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk