PDA

View Full Version : MP40 Spinning in reverse.

vento722
02/25/2018, 01:19 AM
Anyone ever seen an MP40 spinning in reverse? Mine is acting more like a pump, put your hand in front of the wet side and it sucks in my hand in and you can feel flow on the outside.

I had an original MP40W and upgraded both the wet side and the driver to the QD.

Pet Detective
02/25/2018, 09:38 AM
Possibly wired wrong...reverse polarity, it's the only answer I can come up with?

vento722
02/25/2018, 09:56 AM
Possibly wired wrong...reverse polarity, it's the only answer I can come up with?

I’m sure it’s the polarity. But don’t get how you can wire it wrong when it’s just a connector.

Going to need to get a hold of Ecotech and see which wires I need to swap in the pin connector.

albano
02/25/2018, 11:23 AM
Did you try unplugging and replugging it... I’ve had this work on other power heads

Dsekula
02/25/2018, 11:43 AM
Anyone ever seen an MP40 spinning in reverse? Mine is acting more like a pump, put your hand in front of the wet side and it sucks in my hand in and you can feel flow on the outside.

I had an original MP40W and upgraded both the wet side and the driver to the QD.Pumps will reverse feed if wired backwards. Just a heads up idk if this applies to you or not.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

qoeletd
02/25/2018, 11:46 AM
you only need to replace the frontal grid. Ther is a little piece of plastic that block the reverse spinning...

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

jamie1981
02/25/2018, 12:39 PM
you only need to replace the frontal grid. Ther is a little piece of plastic that block the reverse spinning...

no there's not

post a pic of this little piece of plastic you speak of.

qoeletd
02/25/2018, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure about the exactly position of it in the mp40, but ALL the pump, electronic or analogic, can spinning reverse without this "block" that push the initial rotation in the right direction.
I don't know exactly if the problem is in the grid or in the head of the impeller, but usually is in the grid...
however you can rebuild the wetside with ecotech rebuild kit

theatrus
02/25/2018, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure about the exactly position of it in the mp40, but ALL the pump, electronic or analogic, can spinning reverse without this "block" that push the initial rotation in the right direction.
I don't know exactly if the problem is in the grid or in the head of the impeller, but usually is in the grid...
however you can rebuild the wetside with ecotech rebuild kit

This only applies to single phase AC pumps. The Vortech pumps are a three phase BLDC motor, so rotation is handled by the motor controller.

I suspect something is messed up in the wiring harness when you did the QD driver swap. Does it do this on the old driver now as well?

vento722
02/25/2018, 06:51 PM
This only applies to single phase AC pumps. The Vortech pumps are a three phase BLDC motor, so rotation is handled by the motor controller.

I suspect something is messed up in the wiring harness when you did the QD driver swap. Does it do this on the old driver now as well?

I haven’t tried my old driver yet. But I’m thinking that’s what’s coming up next.

70ss
02/25/2018, 09:00 PM
Contact Ecotech. Some old mp40/20 drysides will spin the pump backwards. They should fix this for you with a swap of the dryside.

vento722
02/25/2018, 10:25 PM
Contact Ecotech. Some old mp40/20 drysides will spin the pump backwards. They should fix this for you with a swap of the dryside.

Your the first person to confirm this. I was like how is this possible that I'm the only only to ever see this.

Ecotech getting call first thing in the morning.

70ss
02/25/2018, 11:04 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2570088&highlight=qd+upgrade+spinning+in+reverse

vento722
02/25/2018, 11:23 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2570088&highlight=qd+upgrade+spinning+in+reverse

thanks! hopefully they will take care of me like the other guy.

I also verified it wasnt something stupid i did. swapped back and forth between the old and new drivers and its definitely going backwards.

70ss
02/25/2018, 11:48 PM
I don't see why not. They claimed it was backward compatible. But some were not.

BrettDS
02/26/2018, 12:14 AM
I don't see why not. They claimed it was backward compatible. But some were not.

It’s clearly quite backward compatible. Just not in the way we assumed;)

SonoranReefer
02/26/2018, 12:18 AM
I would for sure give Ecotech a call in the morning or shoot them an email. They seriously have some of the best customer service in the industry is what I keep hearing. Hopefully, they get you all taken care of!

Dmorty217
02/26/2018, 10:52 AM

Thats a negative Goose

ca1ore
02/26/2018, 02:56 PM
You are sure it's actually spinning backwards, and not an optical illusion based on the tank lights (the same way wagon wheels appear to be going backwards in movies)? At certain speeds, the strobe effect of my lights makes the propellers appear to be going backwards.

HBtank
02/26/2018, 03:26 PM
My old ones (first gen drysides) did this when upgrading to QD drivers... but I just got annoyed and went full QD drysides and wetsides, worth it tbh. It all had wear and tear anyway. Definitely reverse, would try to power normal to start... but ended in reverse after a few misstarts; never went farther than that in my problem solving.

Anyway, the new wet and drysides are much better, really. This was the 4th upgrade from the original drivers, so lol, only so far that can happen..... and the 11 years on those drysides was impressive for first generation gear; and they still work, just with the WWD driver on my QT tank.

vento722
02/26/2018, 10:46 PM
You are sure it's actually spinning backwards, and not an optical illusion based on the tank lights (the same way wagon wheels appear to be going backwards in movies)? At certain speeds, the strobe effect of my lights makes the propellers appear to be going backwards.

Ohh I'm positive. Put my hand in the water and instead of pushing my hand its trying to suck it in and you can feel the water pushing around the outside of the cage.

Ecotech isn't giving away new drysides anymore for this issue, But they are going to sell it to me at half price so that's something.

70ss
02/28/2018, 09:05 PM
So I guess there should be a * (Not applicable to all)

" VORTECH UPGRADE KIT
Backwards compatibility is one of the VorTech’s best features. Upgrade previous model pumps to the current QD versions."