PDA

View Full Version : Wrasses and anthias.

pkstylez
02/26/2018, 01:27 AM
Ok guys got one for you. I feed my tank 4 days a week basically every other day. Been looking at some dope wrasses ( fairy) and anthias. Some sites say feed everyday and sometimes.twice a day. Is this true? Seems like a set up for failure of nitrates.?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SonoranReefer
02/26/2018, 01:38 AM
Not at all. I feed everyday, multiple times per day, just smaller amounts. Most Anthias from my understanding actually thrive with more frequent smaller feedings throughout the day. My nitrates stay in check but I do use NOPOX for what that’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carrots
02/26/2018, 06:22 AM
IMO Anthias will not live very long with you only feeding once every other day. They are too active. Now if you have a large tank with a refugium and plenty of Pods and critters for them to eat between your feedings you may be okay. Between the two, Wrasses are better at finding live food in an established tank and would do better with your infrequent feedings. FWIW I also use NOPOX for my tank with Anthias.

Starrhmsp
02/26/2018, 01:42 PM
Sorry a little off topic but what is NOPOX?

d-man
02/26/2018, 03:14 PM
Depends on the type of anthias. Fairy wrasses can be fine with once a day feedings. So can some of the bigger anthias ie lyretails, bimacs, Bartlett’s, squareback. Etc

Avoid purple queens, tukas, Randall’s, Terra’s, evansi etc

carrots
02/26/2018, 04:37 PM
Sorry a little off topic but what is NOPOX?

It is a nitrate/phosphate reducer product put out be Red Sea NO3:PO4-X

Tripod1404
02/26/2018, 04:39 PM
Depends on the type of anthias. Fairy wrasses can be fine with once a day feedings. So can some of the bigger anthias ie lyretails, bimacs, Bartlett’s, squareback. Etc

Avoid purple queens, tukas, Randall’s, Terra’s, evansi etc

This, plus most anthias are finicky eaters. It is hard to get them eat prepared foods, the easiest one is the lyretail anthias and even those might sometimes not accept dry foods (at least initially).

Some only accept very small planktonic food ,mainly the ones you should avoid. These requires a constant supply of food (like purple queens need 5-6 feedings a day). So some people actually use refrigerated auto-dosers to feed them.

d-man
02/26/2018, 05:04 PM
I get Bartlett’s and lyretails to eat pellets really easily. It’s the other ones that can be troublesome