PDA

View Full Version : Building new stand with more room to work with

Mikuni
02/28/2018, 02:36 AM
I own 150g. Acy. Lps softies tank. I like to replace my stand with a stand that has more room underneath. The problem is I need to empty the tank To replace the stand.
So what's the best way or steps to take?

nlgill13
02/28/2018, 07:04 PM
You might not need to completely empty the tank...I was able to move my old 90g with about 1/4 full water and most of the LR with two other people. It was heavy, but we were able to lift it and set it on the ground.

Also search the RC forums: Moving Tank

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2659962&highlight=move+tank

thegrun
03/01/2018, 11:50 AM
I would at least remove the water down to the sand level. You put a lot of stress on the tank when you pick it up with the weight of water and rock. If you are careful I think you could get away with leaving the rock in the tank and maybe 2" of water for the fish, but i wouldn't leave a full 1/4 of the tank with water.
5 gallon buckets with lids work great for moving the water, rock and fish if you decide to remove them. If you decide to remove the rock and fish first half fill a couple of buckets with water from the tank and then place rock in the buckets. Keep one bucket half full of only water, no rocks, for the fish. After you have the rocks and most of clean water out of the display tank, catch the fish. Have plenty of pre-mixed, aerated, heated water on hand. Lastly disconnect as much plumbing and electrical as necessary for the move. Move the tank to the new location, get the plumbing and electrical reconnected. Place your rocks to your liking, add the sand and then the old water. Top off the tank with new saltwater. Turn on the pumps, heaters and the rest of your equipment. Once things are up and running, add the fish. The process always takes me longer than I think, plan on a full day.

davocean
03/02/2018, 08:18 PM
I agree, remove as much as you can to prevent stressing tank in a manner it was not designed.

I've moved very large tanks in no time just pumping water into brutes, usually on a furniture cart so I can move those around easily, and you can just pump the water right back in.

In a lengthy move I've even used those same brutes as holding tanks, pump and a heater, eggcrate to screen livestock off from pump.

If you do leave rock in tank while moving, put cardboard or something against glass panels to protect them from scratching, one falling or shifting rock can ruin your view.

I always now do that even when just scaping a new tank to be safe.