PDA

View Full Version : Refugium sand cleaning

rfgonzo
02/28/2018, 02:08 PM
I'm getting ready to set up my new 210 gallon I'm going to be shutting down my 100 gallon that is attached to a 75 gallon refugium in the basement. I will be hooking up the new 210 gallon to this 75 gallon refugium. I would like to keep the old sand for beneficial bacteria reasons but I also would prefer it to be cleaned of detritus. After I disconnect the hundred gallon reef tank from this refugium and just run it directly to a sump, do you guys see any issues with vacuuming out the sand in the refugium since it will not be connected the 100 or 210 tanks. Then after cleaning the sand hook up the plumbing to run the refugium and start the cycle on the 210 gallon. or will this still cause an issue?

rfgonzo
02/28/2018, 03:23 PM
I guess I should also say the sand is 1-1/2 to 2'' deep and has not been touched in 6 years.

ramseynb
02/28/2018, 03:42 PM
I think it would be a good idea so siphon/stir up the sand bed. There's probably a lot of detritus built up in there. It might take a long time to get it clean if it's been untouched for 6 years (unless you have plenty of sand stirrers that have been moving it around). It may be best to just replace it with new sand. That is likely what I would do but I'm sure there will be other opinions on the matter.

RonV
02/28/2018, 06:13 PM
I agree with ramseynb. Your old sand will probably have loads of detritus in it. I would buy new sand and be on the safe side.

Subsea
02/28/2018, 07:37 PM
Interesting set up with refugium one floor below display.

IMO, you have a powerful biological filter that has been established in your sump. It should be used to inoculate your new system. Is your < 2” sandbed active with worms? When these guys multiply, their larvae feed filter feeders which include coral. Is it strictly visual?

With respect to detritus in a sump, I am maintaining a 30G EcoSystem mud/cryptic sponge refugium that has been set up for 25 years. I bought it used, the seller said it was miracle mud. The miracle is not the mud. The miracle is the grain size. At the grain size of mud, worms will abound. Raw water enters first chamber of rubble which breaks up detritus to settle on bottom of second chamber. In 25 years the mud depth has increased < 1/2” and is crawling with worms and micro starfish. It feels spongy to the touch.

rfgonzo
02/28/2018, 08:06 PM
Interesting set up with refugium one floor below display.

IMO, you have a powerful biological filter that has been established in your sump. It should be used to inoculate your new system. Is your < 2” sandbed active with worms? When these guys multiply, their larvae feed filter feeders which include coral. Is it strictly visual?

With respect to detritus in a sump, I am maintaining a 30G EcoSystem mud/cryptic sponge refugium that has been set up for 25 years. I bought it used, the seller said it was miracle mud. The miracle is not the mud. The miracle is the grain size. At the grain size of mud, worms will abound. Raw water enters first chamber of rubble which breaks up detritus to settle on bottom of second chamber. In 25 years the mud depth has increased < 1/2” and is crawling with worms and micro starfish. It feels spongy to the touch.

Yes it's loaded with worms and all sorts of filter feeders. For sure a large bio filter. This is the reason I only want to clean the sand if it wont harm anything. I have new sand on hand but I also don't want to jeopardize all the good stuff in the old sand.

As far as interesting setup. the main reef is one floor above the refugium and sump. Water drains from reef tank to refuge then 55 gal sump. Not setup for visual, it's covered in algae for export.

fijisrfr
02/28/2018, 08:12 PM
Get new sand, inoculate with a few cups of the old sand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DesertReefT4r
02/28/2018, 10:37 PM
Get new sand, inoculate with a few cups of the old sand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This. Or before you drain the 100g syphon the crap out of the sand in the fuge using the water in the 100g. The fisrt option is better and easier imo.

Subsea
03/01/2018, 07:09 AM
Yes it's loaded with worms and all sorts of filter feeders. For sure a large bio filter. This is the reason I only want to clean the sand if it wont harm anything. I have new sand on hand but I also don't want to jeopardize all the good stuff in the old sand.

As far as interesting setup. the main reef is one floor above the refugium and sump. Water drains from reef tank to refuge then 55 gal sump. Not setup for visual, it's covered in algae for export.

I continue to say that detritus is both a food and a media for your worms & micro fauna/fana. I see no reason to replace any of it. On top of my 30G mud/cryptic sponge refugium is a 75G Jaubert Plenum that is 25 years mature. This 6” deep sandbed has detritus in it. It is also loaded with detrivores which reproduce and feed tank.

rfgonzo
03/01/2018, 09:39 AM
I continue to say that detritus is both a food and a media for your worms & micro fauna/fana. I see no reason to replace any of it. On top of my 30G mud/cryptic sponge refugium is a 75G Jaubert Plenum that is 25 years mature. This 6” deep sandbed has detritus in it. It is also loaded with detrivores which reproduce and feed tank.

So what your saying is to not even clean / siphon the sand? Interesting. I ran a system for 13 years Jaubert's method with no issues. However this setup has no plenum so it wouldn't lower nitrates the same IMO. I'm not opposed to the idea just looking for more info. If I do siphon the sand i'm just not sure if it's going to disrupt anaerobic bacteria and spike ammonia to high during the cycle of the 210 and kill off good bacteria.

Subsea
03/01/2018, 10:35 AM
So what your saying is to not even clean / siphon the sand? Interesting. I ran a system for 13 years Jaubert's method with no issues. However this setup has no plenum so it wouldn't lower nitrates the same IMO. I'm not opposed to the idea just looking for more info. If I do siphon the sand i'm just not sure if it's going to disrupt anaerobic bacteria and spike ammonia to high during the cycle of the 210 and kill off good bacteria.

IMO, sumps & refugiums are to recycle nutrients in the form of live food. Yes, a macro refugium will export nutrients when prunning and removing. I have found in my mature reef tank, I do not have to export nutrients, the biofilter competes for the nutrients.

Six months ago, I turned lights out in my 25 year old mud/macro refugium and seeded with cryptic sponges. I now add 15 ml of ammonia twice a day and feed two mussels a day to this tank with sponges, mushrooms, LPS, GSP, Green Sinularia, Xenia and some red ornamental macros.