PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Water / Coral Recession / Nutient Levels

RobZilla04
02/28/2018, 06:28 PM
A lot covered here so I'll summarize then go into detail. Today my water had a sticky residual feeling. I removed many SPS frags to dip them in Coral Rx as over the past month or two they've been taking a dive. Pics from before the dip:

https://i.imgur.com/zs2y1nHm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/t4YeGkOm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5n2KkS7m.jpg

Levels as tested yesterday:

SG: 1.026
pH: 8.1
No3: 10
Po4:.08
Cal: 422
Alk: 8.4
Mg: 1400
Temp: 80.0

As for my log for the time frame in question, mid Dec I removed a chaeto reactor as macro growth had stopped. Early January I began dosing Vibrant to try to rid some nuisance red turf algae and a few patches of what appeared to be bryopsis. I began with ml 2 doses weekly for three weeks, each 10ml. Then went to half the dose once a week.

First week of January GAC was placed into the sump in a media bag.

End of January No3 & Po4 read 1 / .02. Alk at the time was running 8.6 - 9.3dKH.

Hard to remember exactly when the tissue loss began, but by the time I realized No3 & Po4 had bottomed out I researched a quick fix. I started dosing Reef Energy A/B to try to nurse the SPS back to health and increase No3 and Po4.

Mg had also dropped during those two months to low 1100's. That was corrected via dosing.

All regular maintenance and cleaning was done throughout that time. Water changes were every 4 weeks (a system I had been doing for nearly 6 months). This month I've done two WC's to again help try to correct whatever is plaguing my system. Reef Crystals and IO salt.

Carbon dosing in the form of Vodka/Vinegar/RODI solution is minimal (6ml daily in three doses).

UV sterilizer run nearly 24/7.

Lighting is two Viparspectra LED & T5HO retro kit. The T5's haven't been used in a month after thinking that the intense lighting was causing coral damage. Also LED's were turned down significantly for the past month or so.

Back to today, in my last ditch effort to help the corals pictured, and others that look similar, I dipped them and replaced.

Typing all of this I am starting to realize I "did" a lot when it probably wasn't advisable. All other coral have been thriving and growing (LPS, monti, zoas, hammers & torches, trumpets).

Lots of info I know but anyone willing to assist I would greatly appreciate input. :sad2: If you've read this far you might as well chime in....

Phixman
03/01/2018, 04:03 AM
Is it possible that you added too much carbon? you also have a UV which stripped the water even cleaner. When I first got into carbon and GFO, they cleaned my water too fast and made it too clean, it caused the majority of my sps to bleach and die off, the rest of my corals remained unaffected. Was this the first time using Granular Activated Carbon? What do you mean by sticky water exactly?

RobZilla04
03/01/2018, 05:12 AM
Thanks for replying. I've use GAC in the past. More specifically Chemipure, but stopped when those bags became expensive and didn't keep water clarity for more than a couple of weeks. Hence the addition of the UV Sterilizer. From there I added it back in as an extra measure of water purification in the form of cheaper bulk GAC from Amazon in a mesh bag.

As for the sticky water, after taking my hands out of the water and drying them with a clean towel, they had a sticky feeling. The same kind you would get after handling cotton candy. Although not necessarily to the same degree. Still not something I've noticed in my water in the past.

Phixman
03/01/2018, 06:19 AM
I would say that the UV would be enough to keep water clean, I would only use carbon in case of emergencies (sticky water), once the sticky water is dealt with, I'd remove the carbon and just run the UV and see if you're getting the water clarity you want, that way water isn't too clean so the sps are able to recover and get the color back.

I'm not too familiar with Carbon dosing in the form of Vodka/Vinegar/RODI, is it possible that this may be causing the the 'sticky water'? When did you first begin to notice the sticky water? Do you run a skimmer?

RobZilla04
03/01/2018, 06:31 AM
This is the first instance I noticed the sticky water. Might not be that big of a deal. I'm more concerned with the coral health.

I've got a Bubble Magus Curve 5 in a 90g system. Carbon dosing is minimal at only 6ml spread over three doses daily.

Only mechanical filtration at this point is a Poly Filter. I typically used filter floss as well but just ditched it at the last change a couple of weeks ago.

Phixman
03/01/2018, 06:42 AM
Do you have any algae problems at the moment? I know you mentioned having some in the past which is why you were using Vibrant. Honestly, I would just remove the carbon, perform a water change, and I'd run the chaeto reactor again, it's possible that the display tank algae was out competing the chaeto.

RobZilla04
03/01/2018, 07:03 AM
Just a few small patches of red turf and the usual film on the glass after a few days.

I'm afraid the nutrients are too low to support the chaeto...? Last two times I cleaned it before taking it off line the reactor chamber was full of brown nasty sludge and slime on the side walls. Not sure the chaeto was actually assisting. As you mentioned the DT macro was likely out competing it.

Phixman
03/01/2018, 01:55 PM
Yes, I agree the levels might be too low, removing the carbon might allow levels to go a bit higher , thus allowing chaeto growth, I personally like chaeto because it doesn't completely starve the tank of nutrients like carbon does, it's cheap, and a natural way to lower phosphates levels, thus helping with any algae. How often do you feed, what do you feed, how often do you do water changes, and how big are water changes ? Your tank is 90 gallons correct?

Sk8r
03/01/2018, 02:33 PM
Sounds like a carbon-induced bacterial bloom, probably clogging the feeding pores of the sps. A filter sock might help. And stop carbon dosing for now.

RobZilla04
03/01/2018, 03:19 PM
Sounds like a carbon-induced bacterial bloom, probably clogging the feeding pores of the sps. A filter sock might help. And stop carbon dosing for now.

Thx already pulled the GAC, will cut off the organic carbon source as well. Going to back to simple is the best option for a while with reduced light. Hopefully they will recover.

bertoni
03/01/2018, 09:32 PM
I'd probably keep the GAC running, since it'll bind organics. I wonder whether the "stickiness" is from a surface film. I'd make sure there was a good rippling action on the water surface. I agree with cutting back on the organic carbon dosing.

RobZilla04
03/02/2018, 05:18 AM
I'd probably keep the GAC running, since it'll bind organics. I wonder whether the "stickiness" is from a surface film. I'd make sure there was a good rippling action on the water surface. I agree with cutting back on the organic carbon dosing.

Plenty of flow on the surface in both the DT and sump. I've got no buildup on the surface in either. This theory could make sense though as I removed the blue/white filter floss media and ran no mechanical filtration for a few weeks. That would help explain the sticky water.

As for coral deterioration that started around the same time as the Vibrant dosing and/or the addition of GAC. Those were around the same time December/January.

Gonna leave both out for a while and see how things settle. If I need to go back I'll introduce one at a time and keep a close eye out. :uhoh3:

rvareef
03/02/2018, 07:22 AM
quit dosing and stick to IO water changes till your corals start growing again

RobZilla04
03/04/2018, 08:06 AM
Good news the recession on the sps I dipped had stopped.

Bad news there is still some algae growth on the branches where tissue has thinned/shed. What is the best way to get that algae off without further damaging the piece? Will new tissue grow if there is any algae on the branch?

One piece has plenty of polyps extending quite far, just not much tissue. The white skeleton is exposed and again algae, although thin, is over nearly 75 percent of it.

Phixman
03/04/2018, 12:53 PM
I've had algae grow on some sps before, my emerald crab usually takes care of it though.

bertoni
03/04/2018, 02:47 PM
Physical removal would be one approach for the algae. If the coral is doing well enough, you could ignore the algae for a bit to see what happens. You might be able to kill it with some GFO or the like.

RobZilla04
03/04/2018, 06:27 PM
Thx good options. The CUC blue leg hermit crabs show interest but not enough to eliminate it.

I'll check back after a few days.

RobZilla04
03/05/2018, 04:57 PM
Test results from today

Cal 445 Hanna
Alk 8.6 Hanna (trying to get down to low 8's / high 7's)
Mag 1350 Red Sea
No3 15-20 Red Sea
Po4 .1 Red Sea & Salifert

Makes sense as I see some fuzzy algae coming back on the back glass. Odd thing is the SPS look to he losing tissue again, especially at the tips.

I've already turned off T5HO. Dropped LED to 30 blue and 2 white for intensity. Only 10 hours a day. Everything else is fully extended and loving life.

What gives?

Gonna get back to carbon dosing to manage No3 and even cut down just a bit.

bertoni
03/05/2018, 08:01 PM
I'd work on lowering the phosphate level. The carbon dosing should help at least a bit, although the tank might need some GFO.

rjjr1963
03/05/2018, 09:09 PM
I think your nutrient levels are fine. Stability is the key and I don't think reducing them will help. Are you starving them for light? With higher nutrient levels you can increase intensity of lighting and get strong growth.

RobZilla04
03/06/2018, 05:22 AM
I'd work on lowering the phosphate level. The carbon dosing should help at least a bit, although the tank might need some GFO.

I'm getting in to the "swing" problem. Get them down to <.05 and then there is too much light / Alk is too high. Then back the other direction <.05 and the algae creeps in.

Just trying to find the sweet spot and how to stay there. Learning something new everyday though. Thank you.

I think your nutrient levels are fine. Stability is the key and I don't think reducing them will help. Are you starving them for light? With higher nutrient levels you can increase intensity of lighting and get strong growth.

As I mentioned they were much much lower so I cut the lights way down. Now that they are up I don't want blast the lights right back up. These SPS certainly are tricky, tricky, tricky <----- Cue RUNDMC intro.

RobZilla04
03/08/2018, 05:18 PM
Well things are getting worse. More SPS frag tissue recession from the top down. Alk is now 8.0, nitrates 10/15, and phos .1

Some trumpet corals now seems to have developed an algae or something along the top edges. Water it is seems to be destroying the poly heads. I can try to get pix if necessary for ID purposes. I'm setting up for another WC this weekend but at this point I don't know that it will make a difference.

Anyone got ideas/suggestions?

bertoni
03/08/2018, 11:48 PM
I'd probably stop all feeding and do some 15-20% water changes. Some fresh carbon might help, as well. I'm not sure what's happening, but the algae might be releasing chemicals that irritate the corals.

Phixman
03/09/2018, 03:44 AM
+1 on water changes.

RobZilla04
03/09/2018, 05:17 AM
It's baffling me because the algae will grow on health coral tissue. I had activated carbon in a mesh bag (high flow area) for a while and thought that might be irritating the corals. Also thought maybe the Vibrant bacteria blend combined with slight organic carbon dosing was causing the irritation.

Stopping feeding is an interesting thought.

Water changes are easy but as I am finding out, they aren't doing much.

bertoni
03/09/2018, 09:18 PM
If the problems is chemicals from the algae, it's going to be hard to do much.

RobZilla04
03/10/2018, 10:36 AM
If the problems is chemicals from the algae, it's going to be hard to do much.

Did a 15g wc this morning. At this point if I lose the sps frags so be it. I hate to let them go but I've got to bring everything back under control and stable.

Still no GAC, just poly pad plus blue/white filter pad, skimming, uv 12hr daily, and organic carbon dosing, going to do the maintenance Vibrant routine and keep the water changes at two weeks for a while.

Good news is the sticky feeling of the water is gone. Not sure if it was from the GAC or lack of filter pad.

Thanks for keeping an eye on this, I'll check back

Tripod1404
03/27/2018, 11:14 AM
In continuation of the other discussion; with N and and P of 10 and 0.08. I would raise alk to 9dHK, maybe 9.5 dKH. Make sure alk doesn't swing, try to keep it as stable as possible.

RobZilla04
03/27/2018, 11:39 AM
Thanks, looks like I may have swung both in the opposite directions inadvertently. Slowly They are working their way toward your recommendations. I'll re-evaluate from there, thanks.

bertoni
03/27/2018, 09:47 PM
Is the "sticky" feeling going away?

RobZilla04
03/28/2018, 04:15 AM
Is the "sticky" feeling going away?

Completely gone. That happened rather quickly after going back to mechanical filtration with blue/white plus polyfilter.

:thumbsup:

bertoni
03/29/2018, 10:15 PM
Okay, well, at least that's getting better.

RobZilla04
03/30/2018, 04:54 AM
A little update on progress. Earlier this week I began running GFO in a reactor (haven't don't this since the eradication of GHA a couple of year back). I've stopped dosing Vibrant (strongly suspecting this caused the original STN of SPS though I have no direct evidence).

Also increased organic carbon dosing (20ml total daily over 4 doses). This plus the GFO has really taken a toll on the green growth on my back glass. Also knocking down the red turf which is spotty on the rocks yet overrun on the overflow divider.

Shooting to keep Alk in the low 8's / high 7's dKH.
Cal - 400-420
Mg - 1400ish (hard to get an accurate reading)

Gotta get some more current No3 & Po4 readings soon. Maybe this weekend.

All in all STN seems to have finally stopped. New growth, however not so much :(

bertoni
03/30/2018, 10:28 PM
Well, at least the STN has stopped. The growth might get better once the algae problems are gone. That's only a possibility, though.

RobZilla04
04/12/2018, 08:08 AM
Another update:

At this point I am beginning to suspect possibly the UV Sterilizer is causing some issues. All parameters are within the desired ranges. Tested yesterday and got

Alk 8.6 dKH
Cal 395
Mg 1300
N 10
P .03

Something is definitely irritating the corals. No new growth. LPS trumpets never look full, though their feeding tentacles do come out at night. Very slow GSP growth on back glass, and no growth of torches. Monti's are holding steady and SPS fade in an out (the few frags remaining).

Done several water and filter changes over the past 6 weeks. Put in GFO for 10 days as some green algae was increasing on the back glass and over flow. Pulled it a few days ago and got the above test result yesterday.

Working on bringing down the nitrates slightly to <5ppm. Going to maintain Alk around 8.5 dKH.

The plan is to remove, dismantle, and inspect the Aqua UV sterilizer. Hoping to not find any corrosion or rot.

bertoni
04/12/2018, 08:49 PM
I hope the UV is okay and not rusting into the water column. That could cause some serious problems.

RobZilla04
04/13/2018, 04:19 AM
I hope the UV is okay and not rusting into the water column. That could cause some serious problems.

Clean as a whistle. Peace of mind now as I know that would cause major issues. This was the last piece of equipment to check for rust/corrosion.

Went ahead and did a 15g water change so it will be interesting to see how the coral respond.

Really feeling stuck on what could be the issue(s) at this point. :headwalls:

bertoni
04/14/2018, 10:53 PM
Lots of tanks have problems that we can't diagnose. I don't have anything very useful in the way of new ideas. :(

RobZilla04
04/15/2018, 07:43 AM
Thanks for checking back in anyhow.

Now I'm going to dose trace elements every other day for a while. Right after water changes of course all the coral pop full and extend. Hopefully they are simply depleting something minor that I can easily replace.

Running out of ideas also.

Poopapotamus
04/16/2018, 04:12 PM
I had a similar slight downturn in my coral well being. I couldn't figure out what the issue was. All my parameters that you would normally measure were spot on. I think I might have figured it out though... I think I left my RODI in bypass mode by accident onetime... I went downstairs and heard it running, and I normally run it in bypass just before taking water, so I must have just left it running. I am guessing a bunch of impurities including probably some chlorine got into my RODI water vat, and I was gradually adding this to my tank with top-ups and water changes. I shut off the RODI and emptied the vat once I got the suspicion that this was the case and allowed it to refill... after doing this everything has slowly been bouncing back.
Any chance you are having an issue with your RODI unit, or the water in your area is particularly bad right now, or your cartridges are old? May want to look into it.
Good Luck

RobZilla04
04/16/2018, 06:14 PM
^ Thanks. Hadn't looked into the RODI yet. Still getting 0 TDS, just changed the filters in Jan (except DI). I guess I could drain all the cartridges and refill, or go ahead and change the DI stage even thought I'm getting 0.

Don't have a chlorine test. Normal booming residential construction around me right now. Has been since I moved in two years ago though.

RobZilla04
04/17/2018, 09:27 AM
Any thoughts regarding organic carbon dosing contributing to the issue? I never stopped and in fact increased to 25ml daily over the past 6 weeks to bring down Nitrates. My minor algae issue is nearly completely gone.

The only remaining issue facing the LPS is what appears to be patchy algae type growth on the soft parts of the tissue. In many cases the polyp portion has died or looks very close to death (shriveled, droopy, and saggy). Only effecting the bright green trumpets though.

Ill try to get some pix up this evening.....

RobZilla04
04/17/2018, 02:58 PM
Got a chance for a few more pix. Arrows indicating a couple of spots where that apparent algae is growing from LPS polyps and where branch growth receded (algae also apparent) on SPS.

https://i.imgur.com/g2febbyl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jfpMEG0l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lUhwsxrl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/syRwC9Ul.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/K1GeJMtl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YVmkUAXl.jpg

bertoni
04/17/2018, 10:56 PM
I don't know whether carbon dosing might be part of the problem. That seems to work both ways for corals. The algae might make a problem worse, but it's at least reasonably possible that some other factor is causing an initial die-back or necrosis of the corals.

If it's easy enough, spending a few minutes a week removing the algae might limit the damage. I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it, though, and I can't just the ease of reaching the pest. A dental pick might be fine, for example. I'd like to stress the "few minutes per week" part, maybe 3-4 minutes at tops, and if it's annoying to do, don't bother.

RobZilla04
04/19/2018, 04:46 AM
Okay I believe I am finally on to something here. Yesterday I increased my flow (added in an old Hydor constant flow powerhead) and nearly instantly with the added random flow the LPS got puffy/full.

Next on a whim I heard the ATO topping off more than usual. Upon checking the mechanical media tray was overflowing allowing enough water to spill over the edge of the sump. Not total disaster. Didn't lose enough water to affect salinity. Here is where it gets interesting. The filters were changed only a couple of weeks ago. Typically I get nearly 6 weeks from the blue/white & polyfilter.

During the change I noticed they did not appear as filthy as usual. The skimmer also wasn't pulling quite the dark volume of gunk. My hypothesis here is that the increased carbon dosing (Vinegar/Vodka/RODI) was contributing to the sticky water I described earlier in the thread.

Over the past two days I've cut the carbon dosing 40% (25ml daily to 15ml). Along with reduced lighting intensity after watching a video where Dana Riddle explains photosynthesis/light/alk, I opted for more flow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBktpJ3umAs

Ill leave the carbon dosing at 15ml for a few more days and likely do a 15g water change this weekend to further reduce the residual remaining slime/sticky from the water.

Let's see were this takes me.

bertoni
04/19/2018, 10:16 PM
The LPS might be making progress. That's good news. I am not sure what the carbon dosing change might do. I think it's worth trying, though.

RobZilla04
04/21/2018, 08:19 AM
Day 3 of higher flow and 40% less organic carbon dosing and wow, what a difference.

LPS are puffy again and the spots of algae growth on the polyps have receeded significantly. Even gone in a few spots. I'll try to update with pix today or tomorrow. Assuming my interpretation of flow was skewed.

Just glad I'm on the right track now.

bertoni
04/21/2018, 02:19 PM
Now that's great news! :) I'll be interested in the updates.

RobZilla04
04/22/2018, 09:37 AM
Update: Day 4 with easily double the flow I had previously. More cell pix (still working out my DSLR and aquarium pix).

Test results from this morning:

Alk - 8.3 dKH
Cal - 405
Mag - ?
Nitrates - 5-10ppm
Po4 - .02

On to the pix.

https://i.imgur.com/sbq2Emkl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/XXxiWWQl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8xjuSS9l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0plZ44jl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/C2ohIArl.jpg

A little difference but the overall improvement has been in the health and appearance of everything together. I lost the small monti in the first set of pix, but this monti was displaying paling/whitning along with algae growth. The algae is much more contained and starting to receed.

https://i.imgur.com/LhhHCNjl.jpg

These candy cane trumpets were looking droopy and had the beginning of algae spots. The remaining dark spots that can be seen are small, fading, and the coral appear to be beating them off.

https://i.imgur.com/w9qEnzIl.jpg

Again sorry for the crappy cell pix. Tried to get this done before getting busy with my day.

bertoni
04/22/2018, 01:33 PM
Okay, the corals seem to have turned the corner. :)

RobZilla04
04/22/2018, 02:08 PM
Okay, the corals seem to have turned the corner. :)

Indeed, not a drastic change by any stretch but plenty happy to see the turn in the right direction. Will continue to monitor. Added a couple cheap birds nests to test the improved parameters with new healthy frags. Fingers crossed!

RobZilla04
04/24/2018, 04:31 AM
Grrr, frustrations continue. Moving past water chemistry and moving on to possible pests. Last night I discovered some, thus in an effort to get additional eyes on my new angle a new thread was started. It can be found here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25422568#post25422568

bertoni
04/24/2018, 09:44 PM
I agree that it looks like a filter feeder. I'd leave it alone, personally.

RobZilla04
04/25/2018, 04:12 AM
Same response I got in my new thread. Unfortunately after a few days of increased flow some of the LPS went back to a shrivled look. I did a water changed yesterday afternoon and dipped a few of those in Coral Rx and replaced them to the same position.

This water change was just under two weeks from the previous and was again about 20% (15g).

RobZilla04
05/17/2018, 05:48 AM
UPDATE:

On 5/8 I performed a 20g (20-25%) WC along with cleaning of the wave makers, skimmer, return pump (ran in Vinegar/RODI for 40 min), and vacuumed the sump. Also I completely cut off the organic carbon dosing on this date.

This brings my system back to pretty much just the basics. Mechanical filtration of blue/white filter floss & poly pad. Skimmer and UV Sterilizer. No additions other than dosing of Alk & Cal to supplement for consumption.

Feeding of fish is still twice a day (frozen Mysis, brine, & pellets). Occasionally (no more than once a week) feeding of the coral (reef roids and/or Rod's coral blend). No more Reef energy A/B.

Thus far its been 8 or 9 days since then and typically here is where I would see the downturn of the corals. Usually the WC of 10-15g would perk them up, followed by the downward slide after about a week. LPS usually begin to droop and close up. SPS still not showing any real signs of PE, yet the tissue loss has halted on some new test frags that were put in a week or ten days before this big maintenance day on 5/8.

Completely different thus far. I'm being cautious in my assessment and sticking with no carbon dosing while monitoring nutrient levels.

Alk - 8.7
Nitrates - 15-20
Phos - .16
Cal - 400+
Mg - ? (Red Sea kit sucks)

Just sharing to keep this thread rolling for anyone following or searching in the future.

bertoni
05/17/2018, 09:41 PM
That's interesting. I hope the tank keeps improving. So it seems to be related to the carbon dosing?

RobZilla04
05/20/2018, 09:30 AM
That's interesting. I hope the tank keeps improving. So it seems to be related to the carbon dosing?

As best I can tell that would the variable. Never got a bacterial bloom as everyone describes from over dosing. Still haven't added since the last change and everything still looks great.

Gonna go with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" from now on.

RobZilla04
05/23/2018, 05:31 PM
Shocking test numbers today. Before you read below I must say, I have zero, zip, zilch algae.

Alk 9.1
Cal 420
Mg ?
Nitrates 50ppm (that's right 50)
Phos .28
79.5 degrees

Haven't done a full test since the big main day on 5/8. That's almost 2 weeks ago. Reason was I would've freak had I seen those numbers. Gonna do a 15g water change, cut back on feeding, and stop vacuuming the sand for a while to hopefully get some natural filtration and reduce those values.

SPS coral aren't growing aside from two types of birdsnest, but they aren't showing signs of deteriorating either. LPS still showing signs of good health and growth.

bertoni
05/23/2018, 11:28 PM
That's a significant growth in phosphate. I think your plan is fine, though.

RobZilla04
05/31/2018, 05:54 PM
New results tonight, 8 days since the last.

Sal 1.0255
pH 8
Alk 9
Cal 445
Mg?
Nitrates 50+
Phos .33
Temp 80

Debating going back to minimal carbon dosing (4 or 5 ml daily). I just don't want the nitrates and phosphates to get outta control. Some would consider the numbers above already way high. Algae and cyano are not something I wanna deal with.

bertoni
06/01/2018, 09:53 AM
Well, as long as the tank is doing well enough, I wouldn't worry just yet.

RobZilla04
06/01/2018, 01:41 PM
Well, as long as the tank is doing well enough, I wouldn't worry just yet.

Thx I'll hold off.

RobZilla04
07/10/2018, 05:32 AM
In a continued effort to track progression I have started dosing carbon and am currently running GFO in a reactor. Both Nitrates and Phosphates have dramatically increased over the past month.

Nitrates are 80+ (stupid color test)
Phosphates .45ppm (Hanna)

As I checked my log, I stopped carbon dosing on 5/8. Since then these values have climbed steadily. Still no signs of algae and most coral have maintained though none have shown any signs of growth either.

Guess ill bring these back into check and keep up with biweekly (possibly weekly) water changes at this point.

bertoni
07/10/2018, 09:57 PM
With the phosphate level at .45 ppm, I'd expect the GFO to last a few hours at most. That's fairly high.

RobZilla04
07/11/2018, 04:48 AM
With the phosphate level at .45 ppm, I'd expect the GFO to last a few hours at most. That's fairly high.

Today is day three, guess Ill be swapping it out this afternoon. I need to wait for some more Hanna ULR reagents to arrive before I can accurately test again though.

bertoni
07/11/2018, 11:12 PM
Okay, I wouldn't throw away media until I was sure of the test results.

RobZilla04
07/12/2018, 02:50 PM
Nitrates 60ish (color test)
Phosphates .107

Guess the quick GFO dropped the Po4 and there aren't many tied up in the substrate or rock.

Nitrates should be easy via continued carbon dosing (5ml) and the addition of Marinepure bio spheres media.