PDA

View Full Version : LED Lighting for 90 gallon mixed reef

dtroiani
03/03/2018, 07:29 PM
Good evening,

I am just starting back up in the hobby and I am planning out my tank! I am having a really hard time deciding on a LED light. My tank is the standard 90 gallon, 48x18x24. I plan on keeping a mixed reef tank not really too many SPS maybe 1-2. My current options

2-AI Hydra twenty six
2- Kessil 360we
Cobalt C-ray 200 (New light.. wondering if anyone has any experience with this light)

I am willing to take other suggestions as well. No Chinese brands.

My concern with the AI Hydra is the longevity and the reliability. I have been reading a lot of them are breaking down before a year. I would rather spend more money than have the lights go out in less than one year.

I am also willing to consider Radion XR30w G4.

Looking for insight on what has worked for others on a 48 inch tank.

Thank you all!!

Imaexpat2
03/03/2018, 08:51 PM
They Hydra 26's should work well enough. I know many that have them on tanks larger and deeper than yours and you cant argue how nice their slice of SPS heaven looks so I am thinking LPS will be more than happy with them.

That being said I would seriously look at the Radions for the simple fact that they have filters that are available that difuse the light and drop the par readings about 15-20% but spread the light out much more evenly in the tank minimizing the intensity of the hot spots and the "disco" effect on the bottom of the tank. In my opinion they arent as easy to adjust as the Hydras are but I also like the fact that the manufacture has done extensive testing with their lights and have some basic presets out there for your lights that are proven to work successfully in various types of tanks.

Im looking to upgrade in tank size and if I go to a 90 gallon, being the SPS freak that I am, I will be going with two Hydras or Radions and this...https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/48-hybrid-t5ho-4x54w-fixture-with-led-mounting-system-aquatic-life.html

dtroiani
03/04/2018, 05:10 AM
Thank you for the response! I was thinking the hydras but the quality of build worries me. I don’t think they have the best reliability. Any thoughts on this or if someone with them could comment on the longevity of the unit, that would be great!

I will have to look more into the radions. I would agree a company that has put the time in to do the research of what will work is very nice then we can tweak it to fit our systems. If your going to do a SPS dominant tank you could be fine with either if you have t5s as well.

Not really interested in having any other supplement lighting besides the LED itself for a sleek look plus my wife would prefer it haha

dtroiani
03/04/2018, 05:12 AM
Anyone heard anything about the cobalt c-ray 200? Would love to hear if anyone has the light yet running over livestock and the par distribution!

reefinmike
03/05/2018, 12:37 AM
I'm getting back to the hobby "full force" after a 10 year break from my last intensive sps/clam/mixed reef. I've always had a tank or two running but nothing more than a simple softie reef with minimal equipment.

After a few weeks of unbiased research I decided on two Kessil 360we for my 90 due to the life expectancy, simple controls, small sleek design, complete color blending and the strong shimmer effect they give. I know they are not the best or brightest out there but they are perfect for me. The video BRS did on the light sealed the deal for me.

There are a couple negatives. along with the intense shimmer comes shadowing. Initially I will use 2x54w 10k t5 bulbs that will be on about 6 hours in the middle of the light cycle. I may add a second set of T5's if I feel it will help coral growth. For now, sps seem to be very happy and growing great halfway down with only the kessils. The lenses are a bit wide for use in a 90 gallon. I have the lights only two inches above the water surface to get good coverage. If I didnt have a center brace I would have three 360WE's with no supplemental lighting.

In the attached pic you can see the light spread thanks to the fact I just hooked up the sump and added sand to the fuge. In the picture, only two kessil 360we's are on and they are sitting 3/4" off of the glass canopy. For now they are off centered to light my rock piles. I still have another ~50 pounds of rock that is in qt to eliminate aptasia and astrina starfish.