PDA

View Full Version : 125 odd aggressive tank stocking questions l

maverick8
03/10/2018, 12:22 AM
So I am doing a 125 mixed reef. Looking for some odd, but more aggressive fish. So far in the tank I have:

2 Clarki clowns
2 domino damsels(I know the damsels are more aggressive, but I doubt I’m gonna be able to catch them and I put them in super early and am kinda shocked the survived)
2 emerald crabs(smallest/cheapest I could find)
20 or so assorted hermits
1 large electric blue leg hermit
1 large red leg
25 or so assorted snails

What are good recommendations for cool odd fish to put in with what I have?

I’ve thought about trying a harlequin tusk and a dwarf lion but haven’t found any other good ideas that don’t break the bank like the Dragon Eel.

I had a mixed reef 40 breeder setup before I moved. Had a wartskin angler, a pair of tomato clowns, a royal basslet, a flame angel(who luckily didn’t eat my torch coral), and a watchmen Toby and pistol pairing. So I’m not new to saltwater in general, but new to the more aggressive side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E.intheC
03/10/2018, 10:20 AM
There are so many options and opinions out there that it's difficult to make blanket recommendations. Your tank is large, but not large enough for many tangs and the larger angels unfortunately. I am setting up a 90 gallon FOWLR, and plan on adding a large number of smaller fish like Centropyge angels, clowns, and other small fish.

Also, your Clarki clowns will likely get very aggressive in time so keep that in mind.

Take a look at your local fish stores, build threads on RC, and look at websites that sell fish, IE: Liveaquaria.com. That will give you a good starting point. Once you have ideas, you can always ask here for compatibility and related questions.

maverick8
03/10/2018, 04:43 PM
The local fish store was the one who recommended the damsels and reading online looks like that wasn’t a good choice. That’s why I figured I would ask here and see a rough idea based on those. I’m gonna put a anemone in for the clarkis after awhile, but want the tank to setup a bit more.

pfan151
03/12/2018, 10:19 PM
The local fish store was the one who recommended the damsels and reading online looks like that wasn’t a good choice. That’s why I figured I would ask here and see a rough idea based on those. I’m gonna put a anemone in for the clarkis after awhile, but want the tank to setup a bit more.

How large are the damsels? If they are still small you will be ok adding most things. If they are large you’re in trouble. They are some of the most aggressive damsels. I’d get a trap and get them out now. It will save a lot of headache in the long run. They are easy to catch with a micro fishing hook with the barb filed down too, but the trap would be the best option. You are just never going to be glad those damsels are in your tank.

maverick8
03/14/2018, 11:33 AM
They are small. 1-1.5 inches. My Clarki clowns actually killed one over the weekend. My clowns are about double the size.

McPuff
03/15/2018, 10:00 AM
I highly suggest removing those domino damsels. They are little demon spawns. A very pretty fish but they should be removed immediately or you will regret it in the future. Maybe put them in the sump and create a small living space for them?