PDA

View Full Version : Flame Angel and Flame Hawk in 120gal?

Smark
03/11/2018, 04:25 PM
I'm considering putting a flame angel and flame hawk in a 120 gallon but I am concerned that they're too similar looking and will fight one another.

I'd also be interested in hearing about people's experiences with flame hawks and blennies in the same tank as they would both occupy the rockwork and that may lead to aggression from the flame hawk.

Reef noob_
03/11/2018, 04:30 PM
Following. I have a flame angel and blenny in my tank and would like to add a hawk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

albano
03/11/2018, 05:44 PM
I'm considering putting a flame angel and flame hawk in a 120 gallon but I am concerned that they're too similar looking and will fight one another...
Not sure if anyone has ever asked that question before...

krazysvede
03/11/2018, 06:29 PM
I have a trio of flame angels in my tank and they don’t seem to pay any attention to my flame hawk, tank is a 320 though. The only fish in my tank that takes any interest in the flame hawk is a yellow tang.

Smark
03/12/2018, 03:45 AM
Not sure if anyone has ever asked that question before...

Is that your way of congratulating me for using the search bar? Or are you being condescending? In case you can't tell, both of those questions mean the same thing.

I am seeking first hand info on the compatibility of similar fish. That is all I'd like to hear. I don't care what kind of cereal you like or if you know who sang the song on the radio.

----------/

Svede: Three flame angels in one tank sounds awesome. What would you think a minimum tank size would be for three flame angels? It's always been a favorite fish of mine. Did you have to use anything to separate the fish when introducing them to the tank or did they all just get along?

I've never seen 'too much' aggression from a flame angel but I've never kept multiple in the same tank. And then I have seen plenty of mean flame hawks, which is why I asked my initial question. I don't want some flame hawk beating down my flame angel.

albano
03/12/2018, 07:25 AM
Is that your way of congratulating me for using the search bar? Or are you being condescending? In case you can't tell, both of those questions mean the same thing...
Or the third option... I don’t recall anyone worried that a flame hawk would attack a flame angel.
I’ve had them together a few times in the past 40 yrs and never considered that the similar color/shape would be a problem.

Apology accepted.

Smark
03/12/2018, 09:39 AM
Naw, the third thing is you were being a jabronie and offering nothing useful to the discussion of similar shape/size and colored fish getting along. I'm glad you actually said something worthwhile in your second response in this thread, even if I did have to give you specific rules to follow to keep you on topic.

NYCBOB
03/12/2018, 10:37 AM
I have both and they don’t bother each other.

krazysvede
03/12/2018, 10:38 AM
In the end it was all luck and being cautious honestly. I read as much as I could find about sexing them and then attempted to find 3 locally I could put together. I didn't have much luck, all were larger/older and I figured would have a more difficult time pairing up. I ended up ordering 4 smalls from Live Aquaria and went with the dump and hope approach.

Call them A, B, C and D. All 4 went into a QT tank together and were separated by egg-crate and I watched them as much as I could. A and B were fine but it was obvious by the end of the 1st week that C would be an issue. C spent all of it's time attacking the egg crate trying to get to B and especially D. B was fine and didn't seem to care/notice other than a little flashing at all occasionally. D seemed very timid during daylight but was very active at night.

After treatment C was rehomed and the partition between A and B was removed while D was still separated. A and B did fine with each other right away and slowly D started to come out more and more after C was gone. I gave it another month and then removed the remaining partition. I left them together for another month then added them to the display.

I tried to do the same thing to get a trio of yellow tangs and failed miserably. Everyone went through QT no issue at all other than some quick flashing and then I moved them to the display. #1 killed #2 before I could catch it and #3 spent a couple months in QT recovering from the beating before it was rehomed. Now I have 1 big angry yellow tang, who coincidentally likes to chase the flame hawk.

Smark
03/12/2018, 11:49 AM
.... Now I have 1 big angry yellow tang, who coincidentally likes to chase the flame hawk.

Hahaha of course it does. Maybe the flame hawks are more timid than I remember, I'd still wager they may beat the tar out of a blenny who won't stay away from their rockwork.

Your method of adding the fish would be exactly like I would do it. Thanks for sharing your success and failures, it's exactly what I was looking for. You too NYCBOB, thanks for adding to the consensus.

Dazed And Confused
03/12/2018, 12:09 PM
Naw, the third thing is you were being a jabronie and offering nothing useful to the discussion of similar shape/size and colored fish getting along. I'm glad you actually said something worthwhile in your second response in this thread, even if I did have to give you specific rules to follow to keep you on topic.

Passing out rules with 4 whole posts.

Keep your snarky attitude and you won't find anyone willing to help. Try ignoring posts that don't provide the info you're looking for.

That said, I had one of each in a 155 and they paid no attention to each other. If you have a flame angel that's colored or shaped like a flame hawk or vice versa, that fish is a genetic anomaly.

Anemone
03/12/2018, 01:33 PM
Or the third option... I don’t recall anyone worried that a flame hawk would attack a flame angel.
I’ve had them together a few times in the past 40 yrs and never considered that the similar color/shape would be a problem.

Actually, that was my first thought when I read the original post as well. I've never heard it asked before either, and it never occurred to me that there would be a problem between these two different types of fish. And yes, I have kept flame hawks and centropyge angels in the past without any compatibility issues.

Ornamental shrimp, on the other hand...

Kevin