PDA

View Full Version : Synergy overflow

RWB3
03/16/2018, 12:50 PM
My overflow is quite for about 6 minutes then makes large gurgling sound for about 30 seconds then quiet again. Looks like my level of water in the overflow doesn't change during this issue. Am i supposed to have the main siphon u pipe completely submerged. It is the middle in my photo. It has a unplugged hole in it also.

Member No. 1
03/19/2018, 03:26 AM
Yes your main (primary/full) siphon should be completely covered.
If the level to cover it starts water flowing down your secondary drain,
then you either need to lower the height of the main drain or raise the height of the secondary drain.

mcgyvr
03/19/2018, 04:31 AM
No the main siphon line should be the one without the hole in it and does not necessarily need to be completely submerged just that the inlet of the elbow is under water..
The partial siphon is the one with the hole in it and the full siphon is the other one

From the sound of it you just need to adjust (close some) the valve on the full siphon to raise the water level just slightly to prevent it from sucking air down..

Or if its the partial siphon thats gurgling then open the valve on the full siphon some so that the partial siphon is carrying less water through it..

Member No. 1
03/19/2018, 04:35 AM
No the main siphon line should be the one without the hole in it and does not necessarily need to be completely submerged just that the inlet of the elbow is under water..
The partial siphon is the one with the hole in it and the full siphon is the other one

From the sound of it you just need to adjust (close some) the valve on the full siphon to raise the water level just slightly to prevent it from sucking air down..

Or if its the partial siphon thats gurgling then open the valve on the full siphon some so that the partial siphon is carrying less water through it..

The (2) U fittings that come with a Synergy Ghost overflow have holes in the top.

Look at page 5 - http://synergyreef.com/Manuals/16ShadowOverflowInstall.pdf

mcgyvr
03/19/2018, 05:00 AM
oh.. sure enough they do. Thanks..
I always thought it was a true bean setup in those..

Now I'm even happier I didn't buy one of those and built my own overflow box..;)

I think I would plug the one hole and make it a true bean.. Then it should work "better" and not have this problem or not require that type of adjustment..

RWB3
03/19/2018, 09:06 AM
Thank you for the info, I will put some tape on the main u with the hole and give it a try.

ca1ore
03/19/2018, 05:57 PM
These ghost overflow units are typically quieter with higher water level in the external box anyhow, whether the siphon u has a hole or not. I run mine with a small hole and keep the water level above the U. No noise or flushing.

Different ways to skin the bean I guess.

Lsufan
03/19/2018, 09:01 PM
oh.. sure enough they do. Thanks..
I always thought it was a true bean setup in those..

Now I'm even happier I didn't buy one of those and built my own overflow box..;)

I think I would plug the one hole and make it a true bean.. Then it should work "better" and not have this problem or not require that type of adjustment..

I think they put the hole because the exterior boxes are so small they have a hard time purging the air on startup. So I don’t think I would plug the hole. I think they were aiming for a true bean setup but the startup issues caused them to have to add the holes. The small box also can cause consistency issues.

Op, I think u need to raise the open channel (secondary drain) & raise the water level inside of the box. I think the combination of the small overflow & running the water level that low is just causing it to be inconsistent & the syphon is sucking a little air every so often. One way u can tell is when u hear the noise look in the sump at the outlet of the syphon & if it has bubbles coming from it then it sucked in some air. I would try running the water level atleast halfway up on the bulkhead that the water passes thru to get to the exterior box.

RWB3
03/20/2018, 05:28 AM
I capped the hole on the main siphon last night and left the water level the same for a trial run. as of this morning it is dead silent with no air bubbles. If this gives me a problem on start up i will raise my water level and remove the cap from the u pipe. Thank you all for giving me suggestions with this issue! I was banging my head with this for a week. It was amazing how quiet it would be and all of the sudden sounded like Poseidon's whirlpool of death.