PDA

View Full Version : When Vinegar isn't enough.....

FlyboySMB
03/16/2018, 05:45 PM
I have been running 100% distilled white vinegar for over a week (24/7) through a neglected UV sterilizer (a hose on the input & output with a power head in between) in an attempt to remove the built up calcification.

I am not making much progress. It ran for a little over a year without cleaning & the quartz sleeve had about 1/8" build up. I have purchase a new sleeve, but would like to clean the inside of the housing.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Pet Detective
03/16/2018, 06:19 PM
Try muriatic acid, dilute it 3 parts water to 1 part acid to start, see if that works for you, I usually clean my chillers this way, does the trick nicely.

50/50 solution if that doesn't work.

Borntrippn
03/16/2018, 09:43 PM
Soak it in white vinegar

Kentech5
03/16/2018, 09:58 PM
Soak it in white vinegar

That’s exactly what they said did not work...

oldhead
03/17/2018, 01:23 AM
That’s exactly what they said did not work...

Well he is trippin

jmm
03/17/2018, 10:05 AM
CLR is stronger than vinegar and works faster. Nickel-safe ice machine cleaner is stronger still. Both rinse clean and are safe to use. The ice machine cleaner is harder to find.

FlyboySMB
03/17/2018, 05:23 PM
Try muriatic acid, dilute it 3 parts water to 1 part acid to start, see if that works for you, I usually clean my chillers this way, does the trick nicely.

50/50 solution if that doesn't work.

How long do you let this solution soak? Do you run a pump while cleaning or just let it soak?

Thanks,
Steve

Pet Detective
03/18/2018, 07:00 AM
How long do you let this solution soak? Do you run a pump while cleaning or just let it soak?

Thanks,
Steve

Depending on the severity of the calcium build up....in your case I would let it run through for at least 24/48 hours, checking on it once in a while to see if it's breaking it down and adjust the solution and or time required to complete the job.

I do use a pump for my chillers, normally I let the solution run for 8-10 hours on a nice summer day outside.

For other calcified objects, tubes, hoses, skimmer parts etc., I just let them soak for a while, salt and calcium deposits melt away like butter, muriatic acid is basically just a more concentrated version of vinegar.

You can buy it at Home Depot or Lowes or anywhere that carries pool supplies, usually about $7 a gallon, that lasts a good while.....wear rubber gloves and safety glasses, it's better to be extra safe than sorry.