PDA

View Full Version : BTA help?

Ab129
03/19/2018, 07:33 AM
So I just bought a beautiful BTA today, my first.
I’m a newbie getting my first tank going. So far I have a pair of oscellaris snowflakes, a melanaurus wrasse and my new BTA.
I turned off al pumps and flow when I placed him in the tank and left them off for 30 minutes. When I put the pumps back on the BTA stayed put so I assumed he was ok with that spot and everybody(me) was happy.
Went out for a couple hours and when I got home he was gone!
After a short panic I realized he had positioned himself behind my rocks underneath an outcropping. Called my lfs and they said he probably won’t stay there and even if he does, the tentacles will lengthen and come out for light.
I am wondering if perhaps my lights were set too high of an intensity and maybe that is why he moved.
I have a pair of new radion xr15 and I’m using one of the preprogrammed cycles, something like “typical reef tank”. It’s a 12 hour cycle with lights at %100 for six hours.
What do you guys think?
If he doesn’t move on his own what can I do?
Any input would be appreciated.
Originally posted this in the clown and anemone forum but no luck there.

ClownNut
03/19/2018, 07:46 AM
just let it be, it will comes out when its ready to go.
how old is your tank?

Ab129
03/19/2018, 08:35 AM
Tank has been cycled since October first fish added end of December.
My main concern is if my lights are set too strong and the only reason I suspect that is the way he hid himself in the rocks under an outcropping possibly as shelter from the light.

Ab129
03/19/2018, 08:40 AM
Parameters are good
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 ppm
SG 1.025
Ph 8.4
75 gal tank
30 gal sump
Icecap gyre 3k for flow

LauraGreenImp
03/19/2018, 09:54 AM
IME, anemones sometimes ‘wander’ when put in new tank. I wouldn’t worry, he will find his spot. :) (your lights look fine to me - jmho)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

LeJeune981
03/19/2018, 11:28 AM
My first bta did the same... it was completely under my rock work for 2 months...before it came out of hiding completely bleached...

Another lesson i learned.... don't move them... they will just go right back where they want to

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Uncle99
03/19/2018, 11:41 AM
100% normal for a nem, no matter what to do or change he will move to the spot that best fits his needs....may take some time for him to adjust.....just leave him be...

Ab129
03/19/2018, 02:22 PM
So I should not lower the lights a little and see if that brings him out?

BrettDS
03/19/2018, 10:02 PM
So I should not lower the lights a little and see if that brings him out?

How big is your tank? We can’t really answer your question without that info. Two XR15’s at 100% for 6 hours over a 20 gallon tank is probably way too much. Over a 100 gallon tank it would be way too little.

Ab129
03/20/2018, 06:27 AM
All info is in my sig

Uncle99
03/20/2018, 12:08 PM
You can if you want....
I am not sure what you want him to do.
Do you want him to stay in a certain place?
Unless your lucky, that's likely not going to happen.
You can try to crank down your intensity a bit, but then, just leave him alone see what happens...that could be days or months....

Ab129
03/20/2018, 12:30 PM
of course I have an exact spot where I would like him to plant himself permanently but I would settle for him just coming out and being visible.
I realize that may take some time and I’m fine with that.
I just want to be sure that the reason he is hiding is not because the lights are too strong because if that is the case and I don’t do anything about it things will not end well, will they?

Uncle99
03/20/2018, 01:02 PM
Nenm loves light, some need metal halide but not BTA
Ok to turn down, a bit, he will come out
Just remember, he is the only one who will
Decide on spot...have fun....if you change light or flow....he may move.

Ab129
03/20/2018, 01:28 PM
I’m going to lower my lights tonight and see what happens over the next few days (weeks).
Thanks

Ab129
03/26/2018, 03:56 PM
Well I bought a feeding stick and a bottle of “fuel” yesterday.
I attempted to feed him for the first time which was just a best guess on my part considering where he stuffed himself and I added the supplement.
Two hours later he was out!!
Behind the rocks but out!
He moved again this morning and was small but when I got home from work he was all puffed out!
Don’t know if it was the food, supplement or both but very happy with the results.
Of course for some reason I am unable to attach a photo but he looks great!

Uncle99
03/27/2018, 11:52 AM
Love goods news.
Sometimes they are just weird, or weird in my view.
Once settled, he'll stay put....mine has not moved in 18 months now....
I am glad for you..

LauraGreenImp
03/27/2018, 12:51 PM
Two hours later he was out!!

Behind the rocks but out!

He moved again this morning and was small but when I got home from work he was all puffed out!

Don’t know if it was the food, supplement or both but very happy with the results.

Of course for some reason I am unable to attach a photo but he looks great!

I’m so glad for you! We had a Palm Sunday miracle ourselves, the RBTA, who was nicely situated in the *back* of the tank, came out in front for some anemoneish reason! And immediately hosted The Murderer (maroon clown). Just like that. NO reason. [emoji23] (bad pic attached)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180327/1505a300798147d5403dc6b0c665c65b.jpg

ReeferNoob4ever
03/27/2018, 01:44 PM
I'm telling you, the best thing you can do for your BTA (IME) is feed them fleshy food. I feed mine raw shrimp once or twice a month now and every other day he gets a good squirt from the baster of mysis. Never been happier!

Ab129
03/27/2018, 03:58 PM
Nice!

LauraGreenImp
03/28/2018, 12:21 PM
Wow! SO sorry abt pic quality - beautiful day, all windows open, you can see the humidifier frm across the rm ! lol

I’ve never fed my rbta, bc we have 150tall, and nem has chosen a spot near the bottom (?), I would have to stand on stepladder & I’m not sure even hubs could physically manage it. Nem *seems* great, Maroon Clown loves him (truly, madly [emoji23]).