PDA

View Full Version : Opistognathus maxillosus in 30 gallon?

shrimpinator123
03/19/2018, 08:14 AM
So, I have been seeing Opistognathus maxillosus a lot on DD due to scanning it for scorpion fish. I was wondering if I could somehow incorporate one into my 30 gallon. The tank would be stocked with smaller scorpion fish, most likely a fu manchu lion and a waspfish, maybe with a leaf in there as well. From the little information I could find, it looks like I will need a 12 in sandbed? I am willing to add the sand if I can keep this guy. If not, I might look into some of the smaller species.

Thanks!

McPuff
03/19/2018, 09:39 AM
I think they can have deep burrows, but it's probably likely they would be ok with a far shallower sand bed. In the end, they may just pile up a mound to create whatever they want. If you have a couple areas with deeper sand you may be ok. As for tank size, not sure a 30gal would be sufficient for all of the fish you have mentioned. I would say you could have the tank specifically for the jawfish and then add some other small fish (goby, firefish, etc.).

shrimpinator123
03/19/2018, 03:14 PM
Ok, yeah was only going to add 1 or two of the fish mentioned. Definitely liking the jawfish though. Definitely going to have to add sand though, do you think a four of five inch sandbed would be ok?

shrimpinator123
03/19/2018, 03:24 PM
Guessing normal jawfish requirements would need to be met, passive tank mates, target feeding, and lots of coral rubble? And of course a decent sandbed. Thanks!