PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine tank

T_L
03/20/2018, 08:38 AM
How should I make it? Do I need to make one now before my fish potentially even gets sick? My tank is 2 months old and a the live stock are A-ok but I dont have the money to really make a quarantine. should I worry about it now or can I just wait till something happend?

Do I need to cycle a quarantine tank?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Uncle99
03/20/2018, 11:58 AM
At this point, I would not worry.
All a QT is:
A bucket, small glass tank....etc.
A heater
A small filter, mechanical or sponge.
A light....desk light is just fine.

Some cycle, I do not, I just do the small water change to keep ammonia in check, faster and easier.
Plus I do not QT for years....30 days most....sometimes 15 when circumstances permit.

reef cuber
03/20/2018, 12:39 PM
Use what works for you.

I have a small salt tank so I won't have any large fish.

So, I have a 10 gal tank set up for my QT. Since it is out where it can be seen, I do keep sand and a hunk of live rock, plus a pvc pipe for fish to hide in.
it has a heater, a hang on back filter, and an interior filter (no substrate) just use to surface cycle water, but it's not necessary. I keep fish in the QT tank for 2 months. I let the QT tank go fish-less for 2 months... I am not buying much fish with my small tank (but it is an excuse to keep another tank going, shhh!).
you will need to keep an eye on your evaporation on the small tank and top it off as necessary to avoid fluctuations in your salinity.

T_L
03/20/2018, 12:56 PM
Thanks guys, I've been a little concerned about the costs in the event of a sick fish but this clears some stuff up for me.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

rjjr1963
03/20/2018, 11:32 PM
I keep a cycled live rock in my sump to use in a quarantine tank.

kmbyrnes
03/21/2018, 07:28 AM
A QT is a small investment if you consider that some fish can cost hundreds of dollars.
If an infected fish gets into your DT, all of your livestock is at risk.
Better to treat all new fish as if they are sick, until you prove otherwise.

Jekerry
03/21/2018, 07:53 AM
We picked up a cheap 20 set up at PetCo.

lagatbezan
03/21/2018, 08:30 AM
A QT is a small investment if you consider that some fish can cost hundreds of dollars.
If an infected fish gets into your DT, all of your livestock is at risk.
Better to treat all new fish as if they are sick, until you prove otherwise.

This.
Anything wet is thoroughly quarantined before going into my display. In the long run it will pay for itself. It takes one sick fish or a hitchhiker getting into your tank that can wipe it out within a few days. Some are such fast killers that you will not have time to setup a qt and treat at that time. Wth so many nasty diseases and bugs out there like velvet, ich, uronema and brook, better to be safe than sorry. Just my opinion.