PDA

View Full Version : Minimun i can feed corals

IN OVER MY HEAD
03/20/2018, 08:02 PM
can I do a shot of phyto on Monday and a dose of coral frenzy on Friday for my corals? and be ok? turkey baster feeding mysis is a pain and I would like to be able to do away with it. or what would be a recommended feeding schedual. iam going for simple.

I have a hammer, frogspawn, torch, Duncan, 5 hairy mushrooms, favia, green star polyps, candy canes, trumpets, Yuma mushroom, zoa's and a finger leather.

homer1475
03/21/2018, 06:08 AM
You can atually feed them.. get ready for it....NOTHING!!

I know right, mind blown!

Seriously though, unless you have NPS(non photosynthetic) corals, they get 99% of their nutrition from the symbiotic relationship with their zooxanthelle(sp?). or better known as simple photosynthesis. While they will benefit from direct feeding, they most certainly do not need it.

With that said, I feed my corals twice weekly with a mix of LRS, PE Mysis, reef roids, and reef chili. I put it in a bottle with a little tank water. It has a screw top and connected a long piece of RO/DI tubing so I can reach all the way to the bottom of the tank(similar to a Julian's thing). My hands never get wet, and I can spot feed every coral in my tank.

Tripod1404
03/22/2018, 03:20 PM
I feed some of my corals when I am in the mood for getting my arms wet. I feed maybe once every 3 weeks or a month.

Like homer1475 said, they dont need feeding. I feed just because I like watching them eat. I dont feed corals that are a pain to feed. I like feeding corals that are fast eaters like bubble corals, acans, some brains and blastos. I never feed my hammers or slow eaters in general.

Feeding do help them grow a little faster, but aside from that it provides no crucial benefit. In fact, overfeeding can hurt corals.