PDA

View Full Version : Programming an AquaController 3

griffithimage
03/23/2018, 12:47 PM
Its an oldie but a goodie! I'm asking for help, I'm trying to set up the temperature control for the old apex (AquaController 3). I'm not sure which slots I'm supposed to plug my heaters into on the powerbar so I can program it.

Any old users out there? (Apex doesn't support the old technology anymore)

Thanks

griffithimage
03/25/2018, 10:27 AM
or in other words, how do I set up my plug for the heater

Hooligan
03/25/2018, 10:47 AM
I actually have an AquaController 2 that is still operational!

Anyway, here is a link to the manual for your controller: https://www.neptunesystems.com/downloads/docs/AquaController3_3.20_web.pdf

Basically, you assign a name to whatever outlet (letter-number ID like good old-fashioned X-10) you want to use for the heater, and then in your program you define on and off temperature points for that outlet. (I assume you have a temperature probe.) There is an example in the above-linked manual.

Have fun!

griffithimage
03/25/2018, 05:45 PM
Thanks Hooligan. Almost there but how do I assign the outlet?

Hooligan
03/26/2018, 08:04 AM
I assume you have one of the old "direct connect" modules with 4 outlets that is connected to a port labeled "X-10" using a flat cable with modular plugs (a telephone cord, if you're old enough to know what that is...)? If so, here is its manual: https://www.neptunesystems.com/downloads/docs/directConnect4.pdf

You need to set its dip switches to assign its X-10 address range. Say, for example, you set it to letter C and numbers 1 thru 4. Then the first outlet would be C1, the second C2, etc. (See page 3 of this manual for dip switch settings.) Create and name your "Timer" (which is what they called the outlets in this era) as described on page 14 of the manual I linked a couple posts back. Then create the heater program as described on page 15.

Hooligan
03/27/2018, 03:06 PM
So how's it going? Any success?

griffithimage
03/29/2018, 06:55 PM
I have to admit, I totally at sea here. I have a neptune 8 (see photo) and have been able to google the manual but still not sure how to proceed.

Hooligan
03/30/2018, 02:19 PM
All right, let's do this one step at a time. I can't quite see the dip switches in your picture - how are they set?

griffithimage
03/31/2018, 09:28 AM
here is a better photo

Hooligan
03/31/2018, 10:03 AM
So as you can see from the key printed on the label, your DC8 is configured to addresses B9 thru B16. I'm assuming you bought this used and the previous owner put those numeric labels by the outlets, so this is probably the address scheme (s)he used.

I'd start by scrolling thru whatever program is currently loaded in the controller. First look at the timer setup and see if there is a name that sounds like it might be a heater, and if so, what its address is. I'm hoping it will be within the above range.

I guess I should ask what all you want this thing to control - just the heater, or other things like lights, pumps, etc? Also, do you know how to press the various buttons on the controller to navigate thru the program?

griffithimage
04/01/2018, 08:20 AM
Hi, yes, I want to use for only the temp control. In the programming window there is a temp set up option. When I select, I can calibrate the probe and enable. This is the point at which I am stuck. Not sure where to plug in heater and which plug to put it into

Hooligan
04/01/2018, 07:37 PM
That's not the correct menu for outlet assignment. You want to go to:

Setup --> Timer Setup --> Timer Names --> Modify Name

Scroll thru the names that are set up and look for something that is likely a heater. You will see a Letter-Number code assigned to it that will tell us which outlet. Let me know what you find here and then we can go on to making sure the on/off temperature points are correct.

If you'd like, I'd certainly be willing to PM you my phone number and we could try to work through all of this on the phone at a time that's convenient to both of us. Might be more efficient...

griffithimage
04/01/2018, 09:31 PM
Thanks again, your help is great- really the reason why we have forums. I scrolled through and there are no names setup. I'll PM you