PDA

View Full Version : stupid question on heaters

zudnik
03/23/2018, 02:09 PM
If you have a sump, do you put your heaters in the sump or do you put them in the display tank? I have a 120 and have always had them in the sump but today I saw someone's tank and he had one in the sump and one in the display.:hmm3:

Mrramsey
03/23/2018, 02:11 PM
I have them in my sump on my 120

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

solitude127
03/23/2018, 02:17 PM
You can have it in the display but make sure you put the temp probe in the same vicinity. Let's say our main pump fails and your temp probe is in your sump and heater in the DT, the sump might be really cold and in the controllers logic it needs to have the heater run which will cook your DT

BrettDS
03/23/2018, 07:08 PM
Heater in the sump is fine and that’s what most people with a sump do. There are a lot of people who run tanks without sumps, so if the tank you saw didn’t have a sump then that could explain why the heater was in the display.

If the heater is in the sump there is also a small risk that if your return pump fails then the display will no longer have heat, but frankly if the return pump fails you’ll have other bigger problems to worry about anyway.

Alfrareef
03/24/2018, 12:18 PM
I use 2 heaters on the sump. Don’t like to see hardware inside the tank!

Tall
03/24/2018, 12:48 PM
2 in Sump here.

Some people like them in the display for redundancy incase the return pump fails.

I've done it when I went on vacation for a week, but one of the keys to a sump is so I don't have to see anything other then what I want.

sfdan
03/24/2018, 01:40 PM
One critical thing is to make sure the temperature probe and heater are in the same section of your tank.

In theory it is better to have the heater and temperature probe in your DT, because that way if your return pump fails your tank temp will still be fine.

But if you are like me and don't want a heater and temperature probe in your DT, but still are extremely paranoid, it is pretty easy to run 2 heaters and 2 return pumps. I have this setup for both my 120 and my 350. One return pump is dedicated as a return, and the other one powers a manifold with the excess going to another return.

tonyreef
03/24/2018, 05:20 PM
I have 2 in my overflow +- 0.5f