PDA

View Full Version : Monthly, weekly, daily tank maintinance

Cstone123
03/23/2018, 06:42 PM
I am a year into my reefer life. I have a very nice 90 gal lps tank, 3 clowns, 1 blue tang, starry eyed Benny, scooter Blenny, goby shrimp pair, 2 cleaner shrimp, 3 emerald crabs, lots of mixed snails, cucumber, 1 star and few hermits. 100# rock, refgium protien skimmer, gyro pump, nice maxspect 300 watt razor light, great test tools etc. I’m having trouble getting into a routine. I find myself reacting to changes instead of finding a good preventative one. I do weekly 10% water changes with r/o water made onsite. I mix salt in my r/o water with a small power head to keep it mixed on a timer. I vacuumed the sand weekly every Saturday and test periodically. My ammonia & nitrates are almost almost always 0. My ph is always a borderline low which I add a buffer as needed. I also add a teaspoon of Kent’s trace mineral supliment. I still occasionally come home after work and find things half open when they are usually full on bling, my dusters have been closed for a week,. It seems to happen rhe Day after I add trace and buffer. I’m putting it in my rufugium is that wrong. Should I be adding it to my r.o water instead. Can anybody share there successful routine etc.. thanks for the help.

ramseynb
03/23/2018, 06:49 PM
I would ignore pH and certainly not add anything for it. Also, I wouldn't add trace elements unless you know they're depleted. If you're doing weekly water changes, they're probably fine.

I think you answered your own question:

" It seems to happen the Day after I add trace and buffer."

EDIT: I do a 10% or so water change weekly and use the ZEOvit system so I'm always dosing drops of snake oil in my tank and shaking ZEOvit stones every day. I like to tinker so I think I use ZEOvit more for this reason though I have had good success with SPS using ZEO in the past. I test my water once a week (nitrate/phos/calc/alk/mag and recently got a kit to test potassium and iodine). I feed my fish twice a day. I feed my LPS once every week or two if I feel like it. If you want to start a routine, the Aquarimate app for your phone/tablet is great. It costs $10 but keeps track of everything. I feel like the most important thing I do (other than feeding my fish) is a weekly water change.

Cstone123
03/23/2018, 07:04 PM
I think your right. Also wasn’t sure how often to feed coral. When I first started the dude at local pet store told me to dose Phyto daily. All I got was brown algae, red algae so I stopped. Much better now. I feed pellets in am and in after noon and brine shrimp about every other day instead of evening pellet food. I’ll occationally dose a zoo plankton at night or feed my anemone with brine but I’m honestly not very consistent in that. Love my new 300 watt razor light. Way better then the old led strips. Love my maxspect gyro to. Greta water flow great lighting. Thanks again.

Bent
03/24/2018, 11:15 AM
I test alk three times a week
I test everything else on sat
I fill the kalk stirrer once every 2 weeks
I change carbon every month
I change RO membrane and filters every six months
I mix new saltwater on Sundays
I change filter socks every couple of days
Blow off the rocks every week or so
Vacuum the sand bed when it gets really crummy
Feed the mantis every couple days

That’s my schedule these days.

Cstone123
03/24/2018, 04:32 PM
Why do you test your alk so often. I mean I know it’s the most important thing but that seems like a lot. I’ve got all of the nice Hannah testers but there kind of a pain. Also what is kalk. I hear the term used. Also how do I get rid of aptasia. I’ve got like 30 heads and there getting worse. Any suggestions.

Bent
03/24/2018, 04:48 PM
Why do you test your alk so often. I mean I know it’s the most important thing but that seems like a lot. I’ve got all of the nice Hannah testers but there kind of a pain. Also what is kalk. I hear the term used. Also how do I get rid of aptasia. I’ve got like 30 heads and there getting worse. Any suggestions.

1: I like to see the trend, I test and put the results in apex fusion and it graphs it. It’s pretty easy to do takes like 10 seconds. Testing it so often let’s me know when I need to refill my kalk stirrer and how much.

2: kalk=kalkwasswer, which is a fancy term for calcium water. I use mrs wages pickling lime like many others. It’s an easy way to maintain alk/calcium.

3: take the rock out, use a butane torch and burn them to a crisp. Do it away from your face and hold your breath. Make sure there are no plays or zoas near the area you are burning.

Optionman
03/24/2018, 04:55 PM
Several peppermint shrimp will take care of aiptasia. The longer you wait the worse it will get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Optionman
03/24/2018, 05:06 PM
My other suggestion is keep it simple. 20% weekly water changes, weekly sock change, and try not to overfeed. I don’t think vacuuming sand is required other than occasionally unless your filtration is poor. Your livestock list included bottom dwellers who stir sand already.

Good RODI and quality salt, good flow, and maintain stable temp & salinity. Don’t chase Ph, it is what it is. Don’t worry about dosing etc unless you plan on adding SPS.

Water changes and DONT OVERFEED.
Keep it simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramseynb
03/24/2018, 06:44 PM
2: kalk=kalkwasswer, which is a fancy term for calcium water. I use mrs wages pickling lime like many others. It’s an easy way to maintain alk/calcium.

Actually, it's German for "lime water". Good stuff though! It'll also help your water stay clear (like running GAC) and supposedly precipitates out phosphates.

Bent
03/24/2018, 06:47 PM
Actually, it's German for "lime water". Good stuff though! It'll also help your water stay clear (like running GAC) and supposedly precipitates out phosphates.

I thought it was German for calcium water

ramseynb
03/24/2018, 06:50 PM
I thought it was German for calcium water

I mean, calcium water, lime water, not much difference. But it is "lime" technically. :P

Bent
03/24/2018, 06:56 PM
I mean, calcium water, lime water, not much difference. But it is "lime" technically. :P

Indeed.

I don’t know. I can barely speak the English.

Jesterrace
03/25/2018, 03:07 PM
For me:

On my 90 gallon with a 29 gallon sump:

I change the water each week (10 gallons one week, 5 gallons the next and alternate back and forth)
I empty the skimmer cup out and clean it out every few days
Change the filter sock once a week (sounds like I need to do it more often)
Use the Mag float every 10-14 days
Top off with RO every few days (I refuse to use ATO)

Cstone123
03/25/2018, 03:27 PM
I went and picked u- 3 peppermint shrimp today, so aptasia for dinner. Bent. Explain further the kalk, Lime water. Your mixing lime with water solution etc. can you be more specific. Also, I just set up my 29 gal sump with my 90 gal lps tank. I’ve got dual 7” socks then bed of sand with cobble & Cheeto with copapods and my skimmer, pump and heater in last compartment. How often and how much do you guys feed Phyto to Copapods. Also do you guys feed zooplankton at night There a lot of lps in in my tank with bubble tip, n critters. I’ve got a great cleaning crew. Emeralds, snails , blue tang, cucumber, scooter and blenny etc.

ReefkeeperZ
03/26/2018, 04:33 AM
routines..
daily or semi-daily: 7am, empty skimmer cup, check sump level, mag float front glass. 7:30 dose carbon spot feed if needed. Run tests depending on the day, kh everyday, calcium every 3rd, nitrates every other(for now). if running filter pads in media stack change or wash daily. check temperature. check SG.

weekly: start mixing next weeks water change water, or do water change on alternate weeks. toothbrush surfaces vents of power heads, if one seems incredibly dirty take it out clean it. double check venturi on skimmer (clogs with salt or calcium build up often), clean skimmer intake guard. clean intake for return pump.

monthly: add, remove, or change chemical media from stack as needed. back flush RO/di unit, double check drain and return line for algal growth. clean any pumps that are cruddy. double check heater function. remove excess cheato growth.

Kevin Guthrie
03/26/2018, 10:42 PM
Daily: feed the fish and watch the tank. Refill the 5 gallon evap makeup water jug. Eyeball the water level in the sump and the temp, and maybe watch for a CO2 bubble or check the CO2 pressure.

Four day cycle: Fill the 5 gallon jug half way with RO/DI; fill the other half; add and mix the salt. Day 4: siphon it into the sump with airline tubing. Clean the glass, siphon 5 gallons out of the anemone tank taking out as much plant life as possible in the process.

Once a week: fill the kalk reactor, clean out the skimmer cup. If the kalk reactor isn't empty, make sure the mixing pump is working. Roll out the AiptasiaX if any appear.

Once a month: Check the RO/DI TDS and deal with new DI if needed.

Maybe once every few months:
Replace the GFO.
Adjust the evap makeup pump timer if the sump has gone up or down.
Test the SG. Use more/less salt in the makeup water a few times if it is off, then retest.
Test the alk. If it's bad test the pH of the CA reactor effluent and adjust.
Deal with coral wars.
About once a year: refill the CO2. Clean the light fixtures and replace the bulbs.

As needed: replace stopped maxi jets (anemone tank circulation pump and kalk mixer). Refill the A.R.M. in the CA reactor when it starts going cloudy.

Before vacation: take all the pumps apart and clean them with vinegar.

Cstone123
03/27/2018, 04:14 PM
I’m sorry what, that was Spanish. Co2. GFO, kalk reactor, kalk mixer. Roll out the aptasia x , arm in the ca reactor. I’ve got a 90 gal tank, 29 gal refugium with sand bed, cobble and Cheeto crop, protien skimmer, pump. Mostly lps tank with 100 rock. Lots of yong coral. Checked my tank today and it’s salimity is 2.00. Alk 6.8. Been trying to raise them but no matter how much salt and buffer I add to r/o water when i run 25 gal it stays the same. Any suggestions.

Bpb
03/28/2018, 07:39 AM
I agree with the others. Cut it out with the trace elements and PH buffer. All you're doing there is likely overdosing a minor element that isnt all that important to have present, but can cause problems if it is in excess. Your salt mix is fine by itself. PH buffers just cause stressful alkalinity swings. If you want to spend money on a PH elevation method, either find a way to get fresh air to your skimmer air intake line, or install a co2 scrubber to the skimmer. That will raise PH by reducing CO2. A much more natural and healthy way to elevate ph that will eliminate the stressful Alk swings. otherwise just ignore ph.

Heres my routine:

90 gallon display 36 gallon sump

Daily: feed fish, test alkalinity, inspect equipment and water levels to ensure no leaks of anything. Dose Vodka by hand. Total effort takes about 3-5 minutes

Weekly: run algae magnet across glass (usually twice a week), scrub skimmer cup neck, 10 gallon water change, fill topoff bucket as necessary

Monthly: Test Ca, Mg, NO3, PO4 (sometimes I'll test more than once a month, its really just as often as I remember/care to).

6 Months: Clean powerheads and pumps.

I don't dose anything besides vodka. No amino acids, coral feeds, trace elements, buffers, or anything. Just water changes and calcium reactor are all the tank needs. If you don't have any sort of metal buildup from contaminated foods, or a broken magnet, you don't need to do any more than that. It's been proven for decades. Anything extra is just to correct something else extra, which was to correct something else extra that you did. At some point if we start removing unnecessary complexities and steps, we will find our tanks generally at the same point they were with all the junk, just without all the junk.

For example. Overdosing organic carbon to drive nutrients SUPER low or undetectable, dont do water changes, dose a bunch of amino acids to now feed the starving corals, run 3-4 different types of chemical filters and resins to remove stuff building up from the lack of water changes (not inorganic wastes only, but mineral and metal buildups), spend a bunch of money on ICP tests constantly, dose a bunch of trace minerals and elements based on what those tests say. You're now on a heavy daily regiment of adding a dozen products to the tank, spending several hundred a year in additional testing, adding more pipes and pumps to the sump that need cleaning and maintaining....and the real kicker, sometimes dosing nitrate and phosphate because the water is too clean.

Now...Do you do all of that because without it the tank will go to ruin....or do you simply like buying stuff and doing stuff to the tank. Which is it honestly? Not necessarily accusing YOU of doing this Cstone123, but you get the idea. Calcium reactor/2 part dosing/kalkwasser, and a bucket of salt will get you to the same place with WAY less headache. That's just my take on it.