PDA

View Full Version : Which way to go to cycle tank

Oldfishman
03/25/2018, 12:11 PM
I am finally ready to cycle my 30 gal tank. I have dry sand, which I have rinsed, and reef saver rock. So what is the best of these two options 1. go with the shrimp in a mesh bag or 2. go with Dr Tim's to start cycle. Wjich will give me my best start. I have a JBJ 30 gal tank.

mcgyvr
03/25/2018, 12:59 PM
Neither is proven to be better than the other..
Both work just fine and both have been used by plenty of people and their tanks work just fine..
Dr Tims certainly has a higher cost to it so if you want to save a bit of money just the shrimp method will do that..

I personally have always cycled tanks by simply sprinkling pellet fish food in for the first week or so..
Tanks will really just cycle naturally on their own too..

bnumair
03/25/2018, 01:28 PM
there are many methods to start cycle, like stated above. shrimp or putting food in tank is probably the least expensive.

Sk8r
03/25/2018, 01:38 PM
I use a pinch of flake food daily. Same deal. You feed the bacteria till they are numerous enough, and it takes TIME. Time is the magic ingredient, and unfortunately, it takes about 4 weeks to have enough for stability no matter which route you go. The only exception is when you set up with all live rock fresh from another tank. That can go in about 5 days because, yes, it's not only had those 4 weeks, it's way more mature than that. Tank-move can go quickly; but a new start---the key is no longer to be 'new.' And keep the bacteria fed.