PDA

View Full Version : LED Light Strips?

crvz
04/05/2018, 08:21 PM
Greetings all, been a while since I've been in the market for equipment (my tank has been set up for nearing 8 years), but I've also been enjoying some hardware failures of late. Most recently... my supplemental LEDs. I use three 250W MHs as primary illumination, but they are only on for about 5 hours a day. I built a custom aluminum frame to which I attached three sets of 12 CREE LEDs powered by meanwell dimmable drivers, one set around each MH bulb. Well, a few LEDs on the left side failed, and I went passed critical voltage drop for the driver, and so no more lights. Proof of failure (meanwell drivers in top right of photo behind MH ballasts).

https://i.imgur.com/t8SE5Fh.jpg?1

So, I've got to fix it somehow, and my first inclination is to just replace everything with a couple of LED strip lights. The CREE LEDs are nice, but way more power than I think I need for basic illumination, and I'd like to drop the power draw that the meanwells are pulling.

What alternatives are there for some dimmable, programmable, LED strip lights? I'm even considering the RGB 12V or 24V tape lights, but I'm at stage one. Thanks!

mcgyvr
04/06/2018, 10:48 AM
So they are what just a small amount of "ambient" light for when the halides are off?
Kind of like a moonlight?

If so yeah rock some tape lights on there and call it a day..