PDA

View Full Version : Reef tank in garage Florida

shubunk
04/13/2018, 03:42 PM
Hey guys!
Do any of you have a reef tank in your garage! I would love to have a couple of tanks in the garage! How do you guys control the temperature?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ramseynb
04/13/2018, 03:48 PM
Hey guys!
Do any of you have a reef tank in your garage! I would love to have a couple of tanks in the garage! How do you guys control the temperature?

I've had a giant sump in my garage. While I had a chiller I didn't end up needing it. That may have been because my DT was inside. However, I would not do it again. First, your garage is going to get humid. Second, EVERYTHING will rust in your garage. All my tools, pretty much anything metal, rusted or corroded. If you do it, you'll probably need a chiller and some sort of exhaust to circulate air in and out of the garage to avoid the humidity and salt exposure to anything in the garage.

shubunk
04/13/2018, 06:09 PM
I've had a giant sump in my garage. While I had a chiller I didn't end up needing it. That may have been because my DT was inside. However, I would not do it again. First, your garage is going to get humid. Second, EVERYTHING will rust in your garage. All my tools, pretty much anything metal, rusted or corroded. If you do it, you'll probably need a chiller and some sort of exhaust to circulate air in and out of the garage to avoid the humidity and salt exposure to anything in the garage.Thanks so much for your input. I haven't even thought about the corrosion aspect

Digitalelectric
04/14/2018, 09:39 AM
Tried it before and like the other poster said everything started to rust. The biggest issue was the water got up to 88 degrees in the heat of the summer and the evaporation was too high. It wasn’t economical to chill and keep replacing rodi filters that much.

shubunk
04/19/2018, 05:27 PM
Tried it before and like the other poster said everything started to rust. The biggest issue was the water got up to 88 degrees in the heat of the summer and the evaporation was too high. It wasn’t economical to chill and keep replacing rodi filters that much.Thanks a lot! I guess I'll move on from that project. Thanks again!

ColorFish777
04/20/2018, 09:50 AM
Check out this tank located in the garage - It's in Texas but same hot weather as Florida-he discusses how hot the garage gets.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-08/totm/index.php

Joe0813
04/20/2018, 10:04 AM
I wouldn't just because of all my tools rusting

oldhead
04/20/2018, 11:36 AM
If I were to have a tank in the garage in Florida I would invest in a mini split system. It would be more than capable to keep an insulated garage cool and if temps got too cold it is also a heater.