PDA

View Full Version : Kalk + Red Sea Trace Colors - no water changes

frivera28
04/17/2018, 03:40 PM
I like adding kalk to my top off and I have been doing that for years. That is a really simple way to add Ca and Alk and has worked out for the most part.

I also add Mg as needed.

I also hate doing water changes like everyone else, so I recently added a 30 gallon tank as a refugium filled with chaeto. I already had a 10 gallon area in my sump with a red grow light from amazon.

I have a 100 gallon cube and it is a mainly an SPS tank. I do have some LPS and Zoanthids.

So I had been doing water changes, but not reliably and I added the large refigium in hopes of being able to stop or reduce the amount needed.

I recently started adding the Red Sea Trace Colors and Acro Power to add trace elements and amino acids back to the tank.

I am seeing more colors gradually which is good.

I plan on getting the Red Sea colors test kit and also doing an ATI ICP test to see where my level are at and tweak going forward.

Is this a good long term plan?
Are there any elements I am missing that Red Sea Trace colors does not provide?

Anyone else try this approach?

Thanks

AnnaCassandra
04/17/2018, 04:09 PM
I recently ordered the Red sea trace colors and the test kit to go with it. I had been using kalk as well but it's not working out for me, I think it was driving my pH too high and causing alk and calcium to precipitate out so I think my next step is to get a dosing pump. Not really the point of your question but this is why I got the test kit rather than just dosing by calcium consumption since in my case I can't really be sure of what is being consumed vs precipitation. I've stopped doing water changes for the last two months because of a cyano/dino outbreak (I'm thinking it's just cyano but it had some characteristics that led me to think dino) in any event whatever it is is finally nearly gone and I want to add back the trace elements that might be missing. The test kit is very time consuming, it's not something I'd want to be doing every week, my plan is to continue testing until I get to "normal" or preferred levels and when I get my calcium/alkalinity levels under control start dosing based on calcium consumption as recommended with an occasional test for verification. There is no test for the "D elements" only for Iron, Iodine and Potassium.

frivera28
04/17/2018, 06:23 PM
I get some precipitation where the Kalk fed in by the top off.

I thought this was because I was using to much Kalk

My next step is to dose Kalk separate from my RODI top off

Thanks for the info on test kit

bertoni
04/17/2018, 11:00 PM
I'd do at least a 10% change once a month. The refugium can remove dissolved nutrients if the algae is harvested from time to time, but it can't add or remove trace elements the way a water change can:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/index.php

frivera28
04/18/2018, 06:46 AM
That's a good point about the removal of trace elements. I may do an occasional set of water changes once every 3 months or so.