PDA

View Full Version : Removing plug from toadstool coral

Laura22
04/19/2018, 03:32 AM
I bought a small toadstool coral and I need advice on how to remove the plug from the coral and do I need to glue it to my rock or can I just place it ? I don't really like the idea of using glue. Right now it's on the plug , and the plug is in a hole on my rock and it looks straight but it's almost just balancing there.

THEUNION1
04/19/2018, 04:36 AM
You risk hurting it if you take it off the plug. If you NEED to remove the plug for plans of gluing the toad to a rock, just shave the plug down flat and glue that. It will eventually grown over the plug.

oldhead
04/19/2018, 06:17 AM
Why would you hurt it taking it off the plug? You can literally cut a toadstool into pieces and it would be fine. I tore chunks off mine upgrading tanks because it was attached to multiple rocks. I now have 3 of them. So just slice the plug right off that sucker. He will be angry for a week or 2 and not open but will be fine.

davocean
04/19/2018, 09:46 AM
I agree, even if it tore at anchor point it will be fine, and in fact you'll most likely get a toadstool popping up on plug from any bit of it that might have stuck to it.

I prefer to use toothpicks and rubber band to anchor a toadstool or any leather to a rock, it takes a while but they do anchor to new rock eventally.

AlSimmons
04/19/2018, 03:25 PM
I wouldn't remove it from the plug either. Sooner or later it will overgrow this and you'll never even know it was there. A little super glue gel should keep it in place and if you want to smooth out the edges just fill in the gaps with some epoxy. Piece of cake.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/3/corals

Uncle99
04/19/2018, 04:26 PM
Leathers, while hardy, always recover faster when on the rock or plug.
They don't glue that well and elastics can sometimes damage it. It will work, but leathers take some time to settle in and while its doing this, I would not add additional stress...

Make sure it's clean and leave it in the plug.

In no time, the plug will by covered...

davocean
04/19/2018, 04:37 PM
I do agree they normally do not glue down well, why I've always just used rubber bands on a rock.
I get what some say, but personally I just have a dislike for frag plugs, but I do agree it should cover in time, just longer time than I like to wait.
I'd much rather see rubble even i it means a couple weeks of looking at rubber bands