PDA

View Full Version : Scarlet hermit crabs fighting

Shark888
04/19/2018, 11:04 AM
Hello,

My two scarlet hermit crabs were seems to fight each other during some minutes, Im not sure if they were fighting, playing or trying to make new scarlet lol..

I caught them in video, sorry could not get good angle, but the one on top were literally smashing with his claws (or something else, could not see good) the one on bottom.

They never have done this before. :hmm4:

https://youtu.be/-WzNext4n60

Tripod1404
04/19/2018, 11:15 AM
Most likely mating. They press the openings of their shells to each other and male monetarily enters to the shell of the female to fertilize the eggs.

Shark888
04/19/2018, 11:21 AM
That's good, hope the female will make Scarlet babies. That would be fun to watch. :celeb1:

thegrun
04/19/2018, 11:23 AM
Do you have extra empty shells in your tank that are slightly larger than the ones the crabs are living in now? If not they will fight each other to the death trying to get each other's shell.

Shark888
04/19/2018, 11:30 AM
Do you have extra empty shells in your tank that are slightly larger than the ones the crabs are living in now? If not they will fight each other to the death trying to get each other's shell.

No, I don't have extra shells in my tank, I was looking for them, but Chinese online sellers, where I buy everything dont have them right now.

I have one blue, two black, two scarlet hermit coexisting with 8 snails in my 40G tank since 3 months and they have been good citizens for the moment, never saw them attack anyone.

Tripod1404
04/19/2018, 04:31 PM
You wont have babies, their larvae dont survive in tanks. Also get empty shells, or they will kill snails to get their shells.