PDA

View Full Version : Sump startup Questions.

Str8linespeed
04/21/2018, 07:46 PM
I was at a very well respected LFS today, picking up some supplies for an existing tank and a new tank. I mentioned I was starting up a new tank with a sump. The owner asked about my sump and if it was chambered. I told her it was a 3 chamber sump and then asked her, her opinion of adding sand and live rock. I also asked about a refugium light to grow chaeto.

This was her response to that question.

Do not add sand or live rock to the center chamber. Instead add a Marine Pure bio media block, and just lay it on the bottom and let the Chaeto roll and grow above it.

As for light I told her I could not afford a expensive Kessil light and I asked if any fixture in the 6500k spectrum would work. She said no, the cheapest she would go would be the E-shopps curve light. All other cheap lights would only grow hair algae.

Could I please get some opinions on if she is on the right track. Im working on starting up this tank with in the week and would like to have everything set.

Sisterlimonpot
04/21/2018, 09:43 PM
You have to understand that your LFS is a business first and foremost. To be honest any light in the 6500k range will work, the 1 thing to keep in mind is that the light needs to be powerful enough to out compete your display tank lights that only want to grow nuisance algae.

Seems like all the hype is for the Kessil H380. But for less you can go with this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PH1MQV8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_T4qQICEwb2tsc). I think that's the one I'm going to get for chaeto.

sounds like your LFS is just giving opinion on what you want in your center chamber, I personally wouldn't do sand and rock just because it's forgot about and is a perfect place for detritus to build up and because it's not in the display tank we tend to forget about it.

homer1475
04/22/2018, 02:15 AM
I wouldn't say she/he isn't far off track. Old school reefing would use mud/sand etc in the center section, and that still does work. The oproblem lies as they said that people tend to forget about it and it becomes a detritus trap.

Marine pure is safe, adds extra biological filtration and is an excellent place for pods to breeds. Also they don't need to be cleaned like a mud/sand refugium. Just take the block out, rinse it in SW, throw back in sump. Easy peasy!

And FYI any 6500k light will grow chaeto. Heck for years people used a clamp lamps and spiral CFL bulbs from lowes or HD with excellent growth.

Str8linespeed
04/22/2018, 11:58 AM
You have to understand that your LFS is a business first and foremost. To be honest any light in the 6500k range will work, the 1 thing to keep in mind is that the light needs to be powerful enough to out compete your display tank lights that only want to grow nuisance algae.

Seems like all the hype is for the Kessil H380. But for less you can go with this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PH1MQV8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_T4qQICEwb2tsc). I think that's the one I'm going to get for chaeto.

sounds like your LFS is just giving opinion on what you want in your center chamber, I personally wouldn't do sand and rock just because it's forgot about and is a perfect place for detritus to build up and because it's not in the display tank we tend to forget about it.

Thanks for the tip on the light, sadly I dont have enough space in my cabinet to fit that large of a light.

I wouldn't say she/he isn't far off track. Old school reefing would use mud/sand etc in the center section, and that still does work. The oproblem lies as they said that people tend to forget about it and it becomes a detritus trap.

Marine pure is safe, adds extra biological filtration and is an excellent place for pods to breeds. Also they don't need to be cleaned like a mud/sand refugium. Just take the block out, rinse it in SW, throw back in sump. Easy peasy!

And FYI any 6500k light will grow chaeto. Heck for years people used a clamp lamps and spiral CFL bulbs from lowes or HD with excellent growth.

Thanks for the info.

This is more what I was thinking for a light for my sump, would it work ok?
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00MQXT8H0/ref=twister_B00N0PMPEQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

homer1475
04/22/2018, 01:52 PM
For plant growth(chaeto) a red LED would be better then white(think grow light which is mostly red LEDS, with a small mix of blues)

I also don't think those LEDS would be bright enough for any growth.

devimik
04/22/2018, 02:53 PM
Here's the inexpensive LED I've been using for a couple of years in my sump - works great and grows Chaeto. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017Z6QWVC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

lapin
04/22/2018, 03:03 PM
You can use a cheap led grow light bulb avail at any hardware or feed store. Looks like a normal shaped light bulb. Just get a clamp on fixture to hold it over the sump. As far as Marine Pure vs reef rock and sand. Some studies suggests marine pure releases aluminum. This can be a problem for some corals. However it comes pest free. Live rock can harbor pests. Dry rock needs to be cured before it develops bacteria just as the marine pure block does. Its really your choice. I would suggest you at least go the chaeto route even if thats the only thing in the middle chamber.

Str8linespeed
04/22/2018, 03:04 PM
For plant growth(chaeto) a red LED would be better then white(think grow light which is mostly red LEDS, with a small mix of blues)

I also don't think those LEDS would be bright enough for any growth.

Noted!

Here's the inexpensive LED I've been using for a couple of years in my sump - works great and grows Chaeto. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017Z6QWVC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cool, thanks!