PDA

View Full Version : silica source

tlc
04/23/2018, 01:05 PM
i got back my icp report. silica was very high. what could possibly be the source ? bare bottom tank, no sand in the system. i do use some silicone tubing and siporax in the sump for filtration. tank has been set up for a year now. salifert test kit confirms high silicates from icp test kit. rodi water shows 0. i started using some phosguard to help lower si and seems to be helping i just dont want to bottom out po4.

mcgyvr
04/23/2018, 01:15 PM
Did you also test freshly mixed saltwater?
What other chemicals are you using in the tank?
What level was reported?
Is this your first ICP test?
and of course..
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/1/aafeature1

tlc
04/23/2018, 01:55 PM
icp analysis showed 32.48 ppm. this is my first icp test. the only chemicals i use in the tank is esv 2 part for alk and ca. i havent done a water change in 6 months ( lets not get into that debate). i have read some reports of other tanks using siporax having elevated levels of si

mcgyvr
04/23/2018, 02:05 PM
icp analysis showed 32.48 ppm. this is my first icp test. the only chemicals i use in the tank is esv 2 part for alk and ca. i havent done a water change in 6 months ( lets not get into that debate). i have read some reports of other tanks using siporax having elevated levels of si

No debate here.. Shh.. Don't tell my corals because they are doing great but I haven't done a water change in around a year now on my current tank.. ;)

From what I've read its entirely possible its the siporax..

bertoni
04/23/2018, 10:25 PM
If the tank has very new silica sand, that might do it. Other than that, the salt mix is the most likely candidate. I'd measure some freshly-mixed saltwater.

Silicate is fine to have in the tank. It might encourage a bit more diatom and sponge growth, but that's usually all that might happen.