PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Refugium Grow LEDs vs. Kessil H380 - Show us your fuge lighting!

Mark SF
04/24/2018, 09:22 AM
I'm currently going through the process of researching and spec'ing out a new aquarium build, something that I personally enjoy quite a bit.

This go around I have been heavily focused on a refugium as a major part of my nutrient export, and I stumbled across the Kessil H380. Seems to be made for the horticulture industry, and most likely designed to capitalize on the legalization of marijuana.

So that got me thinking, for the number of "knock-off" Chinese LED's on the market for reefing, there's got to be some for the grow industry, right? Maybe something more affordable, that is dimmable/controllable with good reviews? If you haven't heard yet, for $300 the Kessil doesn't provide a dimmable option and many users have reported toasting their chaeto when switching to the lamp.

That's when I did a quick search on Amazon and there's what seems to be hundreds of options, but I haven't seen a lot of discussion here about them. The best part is many of these products in the $100-300 range, which easily compete with the Kessil, have stellar reviews.

Anyone using these with success and that can make a recommendation?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/yMXlt3.png (https://imageshack.com/i/pmyMXlt3p)

ryeguyy84
04/24/2018, 09:43 AM
I bought one on Amazon not the big one's that you are looking at but a light bulb and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GNWK2XO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would assume that the boxes are equally good as long as the reviews are legit. a lot of amazon vendors have fake reviews but they are usually all on the same day so do your research.

ryeguyy84
04/24/2018, 11:47 AM
I bought one on Amazon not the big one's that you are looking at but a light bulb and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GNWK2XO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would assume that the boxes are equally good as long as the reviews are legit. a lot of amazon vendors have fake reviews but they are usually all on the same day so do your research.

mcgyvr
04/24/2018, 12:10 PM
I run a normal 165W reef MarsAqua (not the plant grow light variety as all that red/blue is just too much for me) on my fuge.. Grows algae very..very well... Is a massive overkill (fuge is lke 10" x 16" x 10" deep or so).. I doubt either channel is turned up past 25%.. but I had it laying around from a previous build so I use it..

Unless you have a very large fuge (like 24" x 24" min) any of those are also massive overkill too.. I thought they have smaller versions out there now like half the size of those..

ca1ore
04/24/2018, 04:55 PM
Maybe you'll have better luck than I did. Every one of these cheap grow lights or bulbs I've bought off amazon or eBay lasted about three months before crapping out ...... Well, other than the ones that flickered right out of the box.

Jboone82590
04/25/2018, 06:43 AM
I used the Mars hydro on my frag tank and the kessil H380 on my display tank.
I hate to say it but I liked the way the hydro grew the cheato more then the h380.
The hydro grew it a nice rich green and it was thick. The h380 was gark green and really thick.
The only crappy part is how big the hydro is and that's why I still have the h380 on my system and not the hydro.
If u have an open fuge and can raise and lower the light then it would be great.in a cramped space then not so much.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Jboone82590
04/25/2018, 06:44 AM
Sorry the h380 was dark green and really thin not thick.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mark SF
04/25/2018, 09:59 PM
I run a normal 165W reef MarsAqua (not the plant grow light variety as all that red/blue is just too much for me) on my fuge.. Grows algae very..very well... Is a massive overkill (fuge is lke 10" x 16" x 10" deep or so).. I doubt either channel is turned up past 25%.. but I had it laying around from a previous build so I use it..

Unless you have a very large fuge (like 24" x 24" min) any of those are also massive overkill too.. I thought they have smaller versions out there now like half the size of those..

I wonder if you had the more "ideal" spectrum what type of results you'd be seeing? That's great to hear you're using so little of the available output, one of my big concerns is not being able to control the light intensity for $300.

mcgyvr
04/26/2018, 04:57 AM
I wonder if you had the more "ideal" spectrum what type of results you'd be seeing? That's great to hear you're using so little of the available output, one of my big concerns is not being able to control the light intensity for $300.

The results are more than sufficient..My fuge is extensively trimmed and PACKED full in 2 weeks or less now and I trim again.. Its almost annoyingly fast at this point..

But what is "ideal" anyways ;)

Many of the commonly grown macros take very little light.. Most are likely overpowering them..
I've grown algae like crazy with a sub 10W 6500k CFL bulb before in virtually the same area.. It doesn't take much light at all to grow chaeto/caulerpa,etc...

MikeInToronto
04/26/2018, 05:15 AM
I'm using the 300W. It grows chaeto so fast I literally (yes, I mean that) throw out a shopping bag every 3-4 weeks. I think mine is Mars though.
It also lights up the entire room at night :-/

Mark SF
04/27/2018, 08:24 AM
I'm using the 300W. It grows chaeto so fast I literally (yes, I mean that) throw out a shopping bag every 3-4 weeks. I think mine is Mars though.
It also lights up the entire room at night :-/

I figured $300 on a fuge light for the average reefer seemed overkill. The other aspect that I didn't like was that BRS and some of the other retailers really didn't look outside of the immediate industry for something like chateo, despite the recommendations for that specific application.

They went with what was easy, and that is Kessil. If that is the case then, why the limited portfolio from what Kessil actually sells for the horticulture industry? I happen to think the model between the H80 and the H380, the H150 could be the sweet spot.

Now, there are many models that focus on the "bloom" spectrum, so I would avoid those, but there are still a lot of options not being presented.

-Mark

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/922/K0ocQd.png (https://imageshack.com/i/pmK0ocQdp)

mcgyvr
04/27/2018, 08:42 AM
And $135 is overkill when its been proven time and time again that a $5 bulb and $5 clip on light fixture can grow chaeto just fine.. ;)