PDA

View Full Version : Pairing with my Ocellaris

Anemonee
04/24/2018, 04:04 PM
I have an ocellaris clownfish and she’s lost two mates so far - one unexpectedly and the other had Brook. After I’m sure my tank is ok and brook-free, when I go to get her a new mate, can I pair her with a Snowflake Ocellaris? Or does it have to be the same colouring? I know that you can’t pair different kinds of clowns but since they’re both Ocellaris.. i was just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ClownNut
04/24/2018, 04:06 PM
as long as the new mate is smaller and from the ocellaris or percula family, you are fine.

davocean
04/24/2018, 04:20 PM
Agree occs or percs will work, and not just smaller than what you have, but small enough to assure still male, so inch to inch and a quarter max.

Also helps to intro in a floating breeder container, observe existing females reaction to it, they don't always accept some males for whatever reason.

Anemonee
04/24/2018, 05:42 PM
Awesome! Thanks guys! [emoji1419][emoji1417] exactly what I was hoping for.

Uncle99
04/24/2018, 06:12 PM
I have been more successful pairing same species, same colouration, works 8 out of 10 times with a known female and a sexually immature male.
When I tried same species different colouration, success rate fell, a number of the males were not accepted even after 2 reintroductions.

In my latest pairing, a known black Darwin and a standard nemo colour pattern. So same species/different colour
Each male introduced was harassed, 24 seven....would not accept any of 3 I tried.

Four the fourth, a small black Darwin was added....immediate pairing.

But keep in mind that's just my experience but for sure same/same is obviously advantageous.

Hopefully your LFS is supportive if you need to exchange/return.

davocean
04/24/2018, 06:51 PM
Even same species, same color, the female may not accept some males, that's why breeder box intro is safest.

While your own experience may have just happened the way it did, many people have mixed occs and percs, often different colors, in fact that's how we have some of the variants we now have.

I personally prefer same species at least, but color mixes are usually fine and not problematic

Anemonee
04/24/2018, 07:39 PM
Yah she’s only been with same/same and she’s accepted both so I’m hoping I’ll have the same luck but know it’s situational. This has all been really helpful. :)

Frost_Hydra
04/26/2018, 10:53 AM
I also had a regular occelaris that had 2 mates die, and all 3 times I paired it with occelaris that look quite different (Darwin and Midnight). I never had any trouble getting it to pair, and she made sure she was the one in charge everytime I added a new male