PDA

View Full Version : Angel vs. Toadstool

Viatorem
04/25/2018, 06:30 PM
Hello all!

I'm in the process of setting up a new tank, and have begun slowly transferring my coral from my previous tank. I've placed my fish in the tank, I'm order to preventatively treat for disease before adding my coral.

I've moved over my gorgeous toadstool, whom is not too happy at the moment (being handled, typical leather stuff, etc.) and I've noticed my Cream Angel has been picking at the polyps when the leather is extending them.

Is this going to be a problem? I know leather coral can take a beating, but I have other corals I'm wishing to add. Will the angel typically stop doing so? Or would re-homing be my best bet?

Thanks everyone

deputydawg88
04/26/2018, 05:47 AM
From what I have read, Angels have this tendency. Sometimes if they are kept well fed they will leave corals alone but essentially if an individual already has this behaviour, it’s very hard if not impossible to train them from it.

albano
04/26/2018, 05:54 AM
Large Angels, like the Cream are often a problem with corals...once they have a taste for corals and anemones they usually will destroy them

Dmorty217
04/26/2018, 06:04 AM
large angels, like the cream are often a problem with corals...once they have a taste for corals and anemones they usually will destroy them

+1

Viatorem
04/26/2018, 06:24 AM
Much appreciated, I have a friend with a FOWLR tank who adores the fish, so looks like he'll be re-homed. Thanks all

Uncle99
04/26/2018, 09:12 AM
Is the angel a new addition?
If not, what happened before?

Viatorem
05/03/2018, 12:52 PM
Is the angel a new addition?
If not, what happened before?

Yes, the angel was a new addition. Luckily, I have a great relationship with my LFS, and we did a trade -- I've returned the angel (sadly) and he will reduce the price of a replacement fish by what I paid for it.

Trust the guy, he gives me beyond fair prices for corals that I frag and bring him.