PDA

View Full Version : Transfer or start over?

the_OG
04/27/2018, 12:41 PM
Hi,

I'm setting up a 60G rimless and want to transfer my softies / pukani LR from my 40B but that has some algae issues at the moment.

It's been running for two years and was pretty stable but it's been ignored lately while we moved & had a baby.

I'd like to keep the softies but they're encrusted and there's currently bubble & green hair algae and asterina. It's not horrible and I'm pretty sure I can get it under control but it'll take some time.

Should I:

a) move it all over now and work to get the algae under control in the 60 where I'll have a sump and decent skimmer
b) work on the 40B and move everything if I get the algae under control
c) start over fresh

I'd really like to keep my softies and Pukani (especially since it's so hard to find now) but am thinking long term as well. Any advice on the best approach?

TIA
Alex

mcgyvr
04/27/2018, 12:51 PM
Thats your choice.. Sounds like a fairly easy problem to remedy..
Part of the decision and plan of attack comes down to how easy it may be to separate the softies from the rock for treatment.. But even then for the most part softies can tolerate most algae treatments including a peroxide dip/soak..

Personally I don't ever see a reason to totally start over and would always just address/fix what I needed to..
Unless said problem is typical "weed corals" like anthelia/gsp,etc... that might be best to ditch the rock and start fresh.. But algae problems are fairly easy to fix now..

lapin
04/27/2018, 02:20 PM
+1 above.
I will add that once you have a sump and skimmer you will be able to control excess phosphates and nitrates. This should reduce the amount of bubble and green hair algae. The asterina maybe feeding on the algae, thus why you have so many.

mcgyvr
04/27/2018, 02:24 PM
Oh yeah I didn't cover that..
Nothing wrong with asterina stars (for the most part).. Few have claimed they can eat corals.. I've only experienced them enjoying dead/dying coral flesh and have not bothered anything "living" or not on the way out the door in 15+ years having thousands of them..

the_OG
04/30/2018, 02:17 PM
Thanks! I moved it all over the weekend minus the old stand and it’s looking pretty good already. Most of the algae stuck to the rocks has already started dying off in the pristine water.

Appreciate the feedback!