PDA

View Full Version : small group of schooling fish

Googlymoogly
04/29/2018, 10:15 AM
So I'm setting up a 210 gallon tank. Im going have a couple of tangs and clowns in it. Im wondering are they any easy care, colorful, small schooling fish that would work in the reef tank? Id like to have some kind of small school nothing major... like 4 or 5 fish that swim together. The kids would enjoy it ( so would I)

kinggeorge818
04/29/2018, 10:27 AM
So I'm setting up a 210 gallon tank. Im going have a couple of tangs and clowns in it. Im wondering are they any easy care, colorful, small schooling fish that would work in the reef tank? Id like to have some kind of small school nothing major... like 4 or 5 fish that swim together. The kids would enjoy it ( so would I)

Orange Anthias are easy and pretty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ca1ore
04/29/2018, 05:50 PM
Mostly doesn't happen in reef tanks. Even anthias, in the absence of predators, will spread out across the tank.

LobsterOfJustice
04/29/2018, 06:00 PM
Trimma rubromaculatus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teddscau
04/29/2018, 07:25 PM
What about pajama cardinalfish? Would those work, or would the males still try to murder each other during breeding season?

nanoreefer1000
04/30/2018, 12:56 AM
A larger group of Apogon leptacanthus cardinalfish would be perfect, they tend to stay relatively close together, don’t cost a ton, don’t add a lot of bioload, and are gorgeous.

MarkW64
04/30/2018, 07:39 AM
A larger group of Apogon leptacanthus cardinalfish would be perfect, they tend to stay relatively close together, don’t cost a ton, don’t add a lot of bioload, and are gorgeous.

I second this. I have a group of six. Three pairs which spend most of their time grouped together. They've been quite hardy for me, eat everything I've given them. You will see them given many different common names: threadfin, bluestreak, longspine, glass, or ghost cardinal. Excellent example of why scientific names are valuable.

kmbyrnes
05/28/2018, 07:37 AM
I have 6 PJ cardinals. The most boring fish ever.