PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging Coral Growth

kamikaze483
04/30/2018, 12:18 PM
My corals are busting at the seams in my NANO. Just flopping right over in my big tank- I think I have good flow, but there's not much movement and the corals don't seem happy and perky like they do in my tiny tank.

We've had all kinds of problems with my big tank, but water params. have always been excellent. Big WC every two weeks and with running skimmer and very low bioload (I have 6 fish in there none more than 1/2").

My 10G water is always kinda dirty- nitrates between 30-40 because I'm not really good about changing the water in that one.

Seems strange but do I need to scale back the skimmer and try to build up some particulate in the water? Will the corals do better in higher nitrate environment?

What other suggestions do you have to get corals to perk up- all perameters are fine and have been for a while. We dose and check all basics plus calcium and mg weekly.

Appreciate suggestions. Do I just need to let the water get a little dirtier and maybe increase coral food supplement?

mcgyvr
04/30/2018, 12:46 PM
What type of corals? There can be quite a difference in the nutrient tolerance level depending on the type of coral from my experience.. Softies may love higher nutrient levels while acros,etc... may not..

In general corals need some level nitrate/phosphate (nutrients) for proper growth..
Too much can be just as problematic as too little..

Lighting can also play a key role in coral health as most get sufficient energy from light alone..

Uncle99
04/30/2018, 07:37 PM
For mixed reef I keep nitrate at 2-4ppm, phosphate at .02-.04, ammonia of course 0.
Alk 9, mag 1360, calcium 420.
I feed those who show a strong feeding response, Mysis shrimp once per week.
I provide a minimum of 165w LED for each 24x24x24 of water.