PDA

View Full Version : I got brook

THEUNION1
05/02/2018, 05:52 AM
Had an issue so i figured i'd share.

A couple months ago i got a new flounder. Not too long after, it died. Soon after that i noticed my bi-color Hog Fish start to pale out a bit. This is usually normal when the lights go out but it wasn't coming back and he seemed to not be THAT hungry which was not normal by a long shot. A couple days later i noticed he started to get slimy patches on his skin and soon after wasn't eating and just staying on the bottom breathing a bit hard. The day i noticed him having a hard time breathing i also noticed two of my clowns now had some blotchy white patches on their skin; so I came online to look up what it might be and sure enough it was brook.

Now (at that moment) i'm kinda bumming because i read that once its visible you have a small chance in saving them. It was Saturday evening so there wasn't much i can do.

Sunday comes and the hogfish didn't make it. So I high tail it to petco and buy a 10g for QT, a HOB and a heater because i'll be damned if my clown will follow. Then i picked up some ICK X and API General Cure which after hours of research the night before seemed to be the best choice for me. Keep in mind theres a lot of remedies so i just went with my gut on this one.

So i get home, grab a shelve and set up my new QT next to my display. I fill half the 10g with display water and top off with new salt water. I follow the instructions for both additives, let it mix up a bit then in go the Clowns.

I left them in for 18 days while doing 50% water changes daily. They didn't eat the first two days which had me pretty worried but they never seemed to be stressed or gasping to breath. Day three they started eating per usual. I went ahead and fed them 3x a day then removed uneaten food while doing the routine daily water change.

After a week they looked better. After two they looked perfect again. I decided to keep them in another week just in case but then decided to put them back in the display a few days early.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. I hope it helps. It has been a month now and they look beautiful, fat and happy.

Funny part is my third clown never got it, although he did spend 3 days in the SHU with his friends. I couldn't catch the Damsels or Blue Chromis. They did however get the disease but none perished.

Its one maroon and two lightning maroons btw. All is good in Louies reef.

Thanks again for reading,
Louie

Subsea
05/02/2018, 08:00 AM
Had an issue so i figured i'd share.

A couple months ago i noticed my bi-color Hog Fish start to pale out a bit. This is usually normal when the lights go out but it wasn't coming back and he seemed to not be THAT hungry which was not normal by a long shot. A couple days later i noticed he started to get slimy patches on his skin and soon after wasn't eating and just staying on the bottom breathing a bit hard. The day i noticed him having a hard time breathing i also noticed two of my clowns now had some blotchy white patches on their skin; so I came online to look up what it might be and sure enough it was brook.

Now (at that moment) i'm kinda bumming because i read that once its visible you have a small chance in saving them. It was Saturday evening so there wasn't much i can do.

Sunday comes and the hogfish didn't make it. So I high tail it to petco and buy a 10g for QT, a HOB and a heater because i'll be damned if my clown will follow. Then i picked up some ICK X and API General Cure which after hours of research the night before seemed to be the best choice for me. Keep in mind theres a lot of remedies so i just went with my gut on this one.

So i get home, grab a shelve and set up my new QT next to my display. I fill half the 10g with display water and top off with new salt water. I follow the instructions for both additives, let it mix up a bit then in go the Clowns.

I left them in for 18 days while doing 50% water changes daily. They didn't eat the first two days which had me pretty worried but they never seemed to be stressed or gasping to breath. Day three they started eating per usual. I went ahead and fed them 3x a day then removed uneaten food while doing the routine daily water change.

After a week they looked better. After two they looked perfect again. I decided to keep them in another week just in case but then decided to put them back in the display a few days early.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. I hope it helps. It has been a month now and they look beautiful, fat and happy.

Funny part is my third clown never got it, although he did spend 3 days in the SHU with his friends. I couldn't catch the Damsels or Blue Chromis. They did however get the disease but none perished.

Its one maroon and two lightning maroons btw. All is good in Louies reef.

Thanks again for reading,
Louie

Thanks for sharing.

Anemone
05/02/2018, 06:04 PM
How did your tank get Brook? It seems from you description that you had all your fish in the tank for some time and Brook "suddenly" appeared?

Also, how are you keeping three maroons from killing each other?

Kevin

THEUNION1
05/03/2018, 02:07 AM
How did your tank get Brook? It seems from you description that you had all your fish in the tank for some time and Brook "suddenly" appeared?

Also, how are you keeping three maroons from killing each other?

Kevin

I think it came with a flounder. I completely forgot to add that part. That was the only fish i had added. Was very late and i was tired when i wrote it. Not sure how i managed to score three cool clowns. They just get along.