PDA

View Full Version : Continuum aqua blade for acrylic, does it work?

plancton
05/03/2018, 04:48 PM
So, I want an acrylic tank, I've had one before and I scratched it with other methods. It was complicated to use magnets because I needed to use a microfiber sponge such as magic eraser in the middle and then if it caught some sand it was game over.

The main problem with that tank is that it was a bowfront, but now I have plenty of experience and I want a flat one.

Question is, would continuum's aqua blade for acrylic work? And I'm not talking about using it for coraline (it would probably work for that), I'm talking about using it to remove the regular green algae that grows on the walls almost daily.

I mean, I could use a magic eraser, I know it works, but I would get my hands wet every day and I want to avoid that.

slief
05/03/2018, 04:53 PM
So, I want an acrylic tank, I've had one before and I scratched it with other methods. It was complicated to use magnets because I needed to use a microfiber sponge such as magic eraser in the middle and then if it caught some sand it was game over.

The main problem with that tank is that it was a bowfront, but now I have plenty of experience and I want a flat one.

Question is, would continuum's aqua blade for acrylic work? And I'm not talking about using it for coraline (it would probably work for that), I'm talking about using it to remove the regular green algae that grows on the walls almost daily.

I mean, I could use a magic eraser, I know it works, but I would get my hands wet every day and I want to avoid that.

I use the Continuum Aquatics metal scraper blades on my acrylic. You just have to be careful not to bend them and I keep 600 grit wet sand paper handy and run the edge of the blade across it every little bit to keep the blade smooth and burr free. Been removing coraline that way on my tank for many years and never scratch it but my tank was VERY well made with high quality acrylic. Some acrylic scratches easeir than others depending on the quality. I have a wide range of lengths of their scrapers due to the size of my tank. It makes it easier to get to hard to reach spots. Also, when using their scraper, its all about finding the right angle to attack the coraline from. When you find the right angle, the coraline will peel off like butter.

plancton
05/03/2018, 05:18 PM
I use the Continuum Aquatics metal scraper blades on my acrylic. You just have to be careful not to bend them and I keep 600 grit wet sand paper handy and run the edge of the blade across it every little bit to keep the blade smooth and burr free. Been removing coraline that way on my tank for many years and never scratch it but my tank was VERY well made with high quality acrylic. Some acrylic scratches easeir than others depending on the quality. I have a wide range of lengths of their scrapers due to the size of my tank. It makes it easier to get to hard to reach spots. Also, when using their scraper, its all about finding the right angle to attack the coraline from. When you find the right angle, the coraline will peel off like butter.

Thanks for your input, but using a steel blade on acrylic sounds like a no no, also I'm talking about normal hair algae, not coraline, coraline has never been a problem

slief
05/03/2018, 05:24 PM
Thanks for your input, but using a steel blade on acrylic sounds like a no no, also I'm talking about normal hair algae, not coraline, coraline has never been a problem
I misunderstood. Not sure why I thought you were looking for coraline removal. The one you are considering should work OK. If it were me and coraline isn’t a concern, I’d get the Tunze Care Magnet which will remove both algae and coraline. That or get yourself a Mighty Magnet. They both will work just fine for a bow front. You will just need to work the scrubber from left to right instead of up and down.

With regards to using the metal blades on acrylic, it does work great for coraline and while some would think it’s a no no, there are many of us with acrylic tanks that swear by them. That said, I am also very well versed in removing scratches from a fully stocked acrylic tank so for me, it’s a no brainer but as I said, I’ve never scratched my tank using the metal blades and have been using them for years. Granted, it’s not something I would use for regular algae. That is what I have my Mighty Magnets for.

fijisrfr
05/03/2018, 05:24 PM
Easily solved.... buy glass
With an acrylic tank YOU WILLget scratches!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slief
05/03/2018, 05:31 PM
Easily solved.... buy glass
With an acrylic tank YOU WILLget scratches!

Glass gets scratches too but with glass, you get to live with those scratches for the rest of the tanks life. With acrylic, scratches can be easily erased even with a fully stocked tank. And I’d bet my 25 year old acrylic tank is in better shape than any 20 year old glass tank let alone a 10 year old one. :thumbsup:

fijisrfr
05/03/2018, 05:37 PM
Glass gets scratches too but with glass, you get to live with those scratches for the rest of the tanks life. With acrylic, scratches can be easily erased even with a fully stocked tank. And I’d bet my 25 year old acrylic tank is in better shape than any 20 year old glass tank let alone a 10 year old one. :thumbsup:

I’ve had both over the last 30 years & have found that....
Yes, glass can scratch but c’mon, it’s nothing compared to the scratchability of acrylic

slief
05/03/2018, 05:58 PM
I’ve had both over the last 30 years & have found that....
Yes, glass can scratch but c’mon, it’s nothing compared to the scratchability of acrylic

That is true but like I said, it’s easy to remove scratches from acrylic where as when (not if) you scratch your glass, you pretty much get to live with it forever. That said, I’m pretty good about not scratching my viewing panes but it does happen and with acrylic, it’s no big deal if you know how to deal with it. When it comes to larger tanks, this is one reason why I would never go with a glass tank. There are other reasons as well but I personally love properly built acrylic tanks. Especially for larger tanks. That said, some acrylic tanks are made cheaply using cheap materials and those tend to be more prone to scratching, deflecting and even crazing.

If you search the threads I’ve started here, I documented the entire step by step scratch removal process with pictures and videos. :cool: