PDA

View Full Version : Required C:N Ratio in Carbon Dosing?

Dan_P
05/05/2018, 02:42 PM
I am performing a series of small scale carbon dosing experiments (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2673554). The first two completed experiments performed similarly, with the total amount of carbon needed to eliminate NO3 and NH3 nitrogen estimated to be 36:1 and 47:1. The carbon source was vinegar (5% acetic acid) basicified to pH 10 with solid kalkwasser. Interestingly, media used to culture bacteria has C:N ratio of 20-30:1. Media with a higher C:N ratio is considered nitrogen limited.

I was wondering about your experience. What was the total number of mL of vodka, vodka/vinegar (ratio?), or vinegar needed to eliminate or reduce how many ppm of nitrate for a system of how many gallons? Thanks

bertoni
05/06/2018, 04:19 PM
I've never needed to dose carbon, so I can't help. Maybe you'll find some takers. Free bump!

Dan_P
05/06/2018, 04:52 PM
I've never needed to dose carbon, so I can't help. Maybe you'll find some takers. Free bump!

Thanks! Gathering data is tough. If the request fails, I’ll be searching posts.

tmz
05/06/2018, 07:03 PM
Hard to answer in precise ratio terms. When I started the then 500 gallon system ran close to 50 ppm nitrate for along time ,many months.Over the last 10 years or so It holds around 0 to .5ppm for the now 700gallon system with a daily dose of 60 ml 5% acetic acid vinegar and 36 ml of 80 proof vodka ( roughly eqiivalent in total to .5 ml of vinegar per gallon). Feeding is and was heavy and relatively constant throughout that time.Skimming and GAC use as export methods have also remained relatively constant.
Coral cover has increased with growth but nuisance algae has been significantly reduced;so, bio consumption may be about the same .

THEUNION1
05/07/2018, 08:08 AM
I wish i knew how to be all tech about this. I really like this subject a lot. I dose 7ml on an actual water volume of about 80 gallons. I do that after the lights go out and keep a stable .5'ish of nitrate.

Heres a little more info for import. I feed one cube of mysis in the morning (8AM before lights come on), two for lunch (2PM) and three for dinner (8PM). My lights are off completely at 10:30pm.

RobZilla04
05/08/2018, 04:31 AM
^ Same here. I dose a DIY NoPox (Vodka/Vinegar/RODI). I also know the volume I dose daily but as for how much it drops my Nitrates in the 90g system would just be a guess. I've been working on simplifying and solving a stagnant system now for a few months so the dosing is minimal. Just enough to keep the water clarity up.

Dan_P
05/08/2018, 12:19 PM
I wish i knew how to be all tech about this. I really like this subject a lot. I dose 7ml on an actual water volume of about 80 gallons. I do that after the lights go out and keep a stable .5'ish of nitrate.

Heres a little more info for import. I feed one cube of mysis in the morning (8AM before lights come on), two for lunch (2PM) and three for dinner (8PM). My lights are off completely at 10:30pm.

Thanks!

Dan_P
05/08/2018, 12:20 PM
^ Same here. I dose a DIY NoPox (Vodka/Vinegar/RODI). I also know the volume I dose daily but as for how much it drops my Nitrates in the 90g system would just be a guess. I've been working on simplifying and solving a stagnant system now for a few months so the dosing is minimal. Just enough to keep the water clarity up.

Thanks!