PDA

View Full Version : Aragonite vs Dolomite substrate

chucklez
05/07/2018, 01:50 PM
Looking to stock a new tank in a short while and looking for substrate. Ran across several threads about a "White Aragonite Reef Sand" located on eBay. Doing a bit more research on the vendor shows a plethora of different thoughts on it. One person states it is dolomite in his opinions, others state that it may be altered aragonite (I believe Randy Holmes-Farley may have actually taken part in that thread 9 yrs ago).

So, lets say it is dolomite. Any ill effects for a SPS reef tank? Again, some say yes, others say no. Some say aragonite is better at buffering, while others say that neither do exceptionally well as the ph point to dissolve is too low to begin with. Im curious to know if its all an old wifes tail, or if aragonite is really better than dolomite for a reef.

mcgyvr
05/07/2018, 01:56 PM
I think its fine..
I thought it just has a slightly higher mag content and lower if any buffering effect than aragonite as it won't dissolve until lower PH levels..

Personally I would just pass and go with a reputable/known supplier as sand is cheap and the basis for quite a bit of the tank so why take the risk at all or skimp out when proper sand is easily available..

PitViper
05/07/2018, 02:00 PM
I was wondering about the Fiji pink as my wife wants this sand for her new tank. Has anyone used this sand before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chucklez
05/07/2018, 02:08 PM
I was wondering about the Fiji pink as my wife wants this sand for her new tank. Has anyone used this sand before?

Fiji pink is what I have in my current system. Small, very fine grained sand. Blows about easily so if you have alot of flow in you tank you may want to think twice about it. Not ultra white like the sand I was wondering about, but whitish-pink. Hence the name I guess.

chucklez
05/07/2018, 02:10 PM
I think its fine..
I thought it just has a slightly higher mag content and lower if any buffering effect than aragonite as it won't dissolve until lower PH levels..

Personally I would just pass and go with a reputable/known supplier as sand is cheap and the basis for quite a bit of the tank so why take the risk at all or skimp out when proper sand is easily available..

Wasnt worried too much about the cost due to, as you said, it being an integral part of the system. I was more thinking of it being a 'pure' white sand. Pictures and video I have seen of it is amazing under reef lighting.

NO3
05/07/2018, 07:02 PM
Barebottom

Your LR wont be saturated with PO4 in 5yrs bc your barebottom will flow inorganics out and into your skimmer cup

chucklez
05/07/2018, 07:03 PM
Barebottom

Your LR wont be saturated with PO4 in 5yrs bc your barebottom will flow inorganics out and into your skimmer cup

But IMHO the only thing uglier than bb is my sister-in-law. And thats pretty darn ugly. Dont tell my wife I said that.

Pslreefer
05/07/2018, 07:16 PM

I use it and I’m always leveling down sand dunes and covering up holes. Stuff moves very easily.

mcgyvr
05/08/2018, 04:52 AM
I think expecting sand to stay stark white is a losing battle..
Throw in some caribsea special flor reef grade and call it a day.. Tropical eden has some nice sand too..
Avoid sugar/oolite sand (under 2mm for the most part) or you will have a sandstorm