PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new build and looking for opinions.

lpsouth1978
05/10/2018, 09:43 PM
I am not new to reef tanks, but have been away for a while. I am now starting a new build. Originally I was planning on a 75 or 90g system, but I have switched gears and have decided on a 40 gallon system due to financial constraints. I purchased a 40B at the $1/gal sale that I was originally going to make into a sump, now it will become my display. This is where the opinions are wanted.

I purchased an Eshopps Eclipse M overflow and will be drilling the tank this weekend. My thought is that I will put the overflow in the middle of the back wall and then drill a return on either side (closer to the corners of the tank) of the overflow. I like the ide of dual returns because it would give more options for varying flow patterns. I know that this will not make up much of the flow in the tank, so have also considered just drilling a single return.

If this were your build, where would you put the overflow and return/s, and why. Any thought are appreciated. I would like to get this done this weekend, so need to make the final decision soon.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

AboutToBeReefin
05/10/2018, 10:04 PM
if you are drilling anyways I would ditch the overflow altogether and drill the line going to the sump instead. :P

If you are going to keep the overflow I like your idea of two return holes. I have never done that. both bottom corners or one top corner and one bottom opposite corner sound on paper like you can do some interesting things. especially if you have ball valves to change the hole diameter up on the fly to tune it.

AboutToBeReefin
05/10/2018, 10:05 PM
I would stop and think if you would someday ever possibly get a bigger tank and use the 40g for a future sump. If so drilling with that in mind could make life easier in the future.

lpsouth1978
05/10/2018, 10:24 PM
if you are drilling anyways I would ditch the overflow altogether and drill the line going to the sump instead. :P

If you are going to keep the overflow I like your idea of two return holes. I have never done that. both bottom corners or one top corner and one bottom opposite corner sound on paper like you can do some interesting things. especially if you have ball valves to change the hole diameter up on the fly to tune it.

I had considered not using an overflow, but I really don't like the look of bulkheads in the tank and want the weir to cover them.

If I think of the drilling in terms of planning for future use as a sump, I would probably do the overflow near a corner with the return on the opposite end of the tank. This would leave me with a 1" bulkhead for the drain, into the sump, on one end, and a 3/4" bulkhead on the opposite end for the return.

homer1475
05/11/2018, 03:43 AM
It's a 40B for 40$. Drill away and junk it when you upgrade for a new 40b as the sump.

Personally I would do a coast to coast or ghost overflow, with 2 drilled in returns in each corner. I hate the look of the returns over the back if there is no canopy.

If your going to go through the trouble of drilling for an overflow, then whats 2 more holes for the returns?

Drewbe147
05/11/2018, 01:10 PM
It's a 40B for 40$. Drill away and junk it when you upgrade for a new 40b as the sump.

Personally I would do a coast to coast or ghost overflow, with 2 drilled in returns in each corner. I hate the look of the returns over the back if there is no canopy.

If your going to go through the trouble of drilling for an overflow, then whats 2 more holes for the returns?

+1 I find this the most aesthetically pleasing as well.

nereefpat
05/11/2018, 01:39 PM
One more vote for overflow in the middle and a return on each side.

lpsouth1978
05/11/2018, 01:43 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I had already ordered all of the parts that I need for this, but was questioning my decision. I will have the Eclipse M overflow, bulkheads, diamond hole saws, dill bit guide, and lockline returns tomorrow, and plan on drilling the tank as soon as they arrive.

The plan is to place the overflow on the middle of the tank with 2 returns (one on either end of the back wall). This should be an easy enough project, assuming I don't break the tank in the process. haha

LennyD4
05/11/2018, 03:17 PM
I just completed my 40B/20L sump build. I used a modular marine ghost overflow and drilled two 3/4 inch returns high on either side. I put both up high jusy incase of a power outage they will break siphon quickly and my sump will be able to hold that extra water. Here are a couple of pictures. In the close up shot you can barely see my overflow because I painted the back black. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180511/2b65c74bb87cacd97c872ff856150b28.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180511/cc7e9c2eb4d4b0eb42ef699a68961195.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Icewing726
05/11/2018, 03:24 PM
Looks really nice. I like the rock arrangement. I have been warned about making sure the bases are sturdy. If you didn't anchor it theres some good aquascaping videos online. A hacksaw will cut those rocks so you can make a nice flat base and then drill a hole to put a piece of plastic coat hanger in as a peg to make sure that top rock can't topple. Wasn't that much work, only downside is chiseling turned out to be a lot of fun and I ran out of rock...

LennyD4
05/11/2018, 03:26 PM
Thank you. I tried to go for a simple / less cluttered look. I have the rock directly on the glass then put the sand in. The top rocks are held down with putty but im not sure it worked so well...Looks really nice. I like the rock arrangement. I have been warned about making sure the bases are sturdy. If you didn't anchor it theres some good aquascaping videos online. A hacksaw will cut those rocks so you can make a nice flat base and then drill a hole to put a piece of plastic coat hanger in as a peg to make sure that top rock can't topple. Wasn't that much work, only downside is chiseling turned out to be a lot of fun and I ran out of rock...

lpsouth1978
05/12/2018, 02:42 PM
I drilled the tank this morning and everything went VERY well for my first time drilling a tank. I very carefully measured the tank to find the correct placement of the overflow box and marked it. I then placed the return bulkheads on the tank where I wanted them, measured, and marked the placement. I ended up placing them 3" from both the top and outside edges of the glass.

The biggest problem I had was that I jumped the gun (moment of stupidity) and painted the back glass of the tank last week. Of course the paint got all kinds of messed up while drilling, so I scraped the paint off the back and cleaned it all up after I was done drilling. I think the thing that made this as successful as it was , was the drill guide that I purchased. it was like $12 on Amazon, but made all the difference.

Here are some pics. Let me know what you think.

billdogg
05/12/2018, 03:06 PM
Very nice job!

Sure is a bit nerve-racking that first time isn't it???

And then by the 3rd or 4th hole you're an expert!

More pics as it all comes together please.

Drewbe147
05/12/2018, 04:39 PM
I drilled the tank this morning and everything went VERY well for my first time drilling a tank. I very carefully measured the tank to find the correct placement of the overflow box and marked it. I then placed the return bulkheads on the tank where I wanted them, measured, and marked the placement. I ended up placing them 3" from both the top and outside edges of the glass.

The biggest problem I had was that I jumped the gun (moment of stupidity) and painted the back glass of the tank last week. Of course the paint got all kinds of messed up while drilling, so I scraped the paint off the back and cleaned it all up after I was done drilling. I think the thing that made this as successful as it was , was the drill guide that I purchased. it was like $12 on Amazon, but made all the difference.

Here are some pics. Let me know what you think.

Looks great! Well done! Keep us up to date as you get things set up.

lpsouth1978
05/13/2018, 12:27 AM
Very nice job!

Sure is a bit nerve-racking that first time isn't it???

And then by the 3rd or 4th hole you're an expert!

More pics as it all comes together please.

Looks great! Well done! Keep us up to date as you get things set up.

Thank you both. I love seeing the tank come together and the and really enjoy the work that goes into making it.

I did make a little more progress today. After I was done drilling the tank I repainted the back and let it dry for most of the day. While waiting for the paint to dry, I went to the hardware store and got materials to work on the plumbing. I have started to dry fit everything but I failed to get any 1" fittings for the drains. I have most of the return plumbing completed, just need to get a hose barb to connect between the pump and PVC.

I also picked up a 36"x18" shelf unit. It fits the tank PERFECTLY and I think it will work nicely as an inexpensive stand. Each shelf is rated to 600lbs, which is much more weight than will be on them. I will be making some sort of panels to cover the stand. I am considering a faux brick wall panel that I saw at the hardware store. I could easily mount it to the stand and I think it would be a nice look.

Finally, I stopped by the LFS and picked up a 20L tank that will serve as my sump. I am still deciding whether to just make my own baffles, or purchase a ready made set. I am leaning toward the Fiji Reef Baffle kit. I like the layout they have and the kit is only about $100, I think it would cost me just as much to make my own, and I doubt it would be as good.

ramseynb
05/13/2018, 02:10 AM
Looks similar to my 38g. I love my Eshopps overflow! I did drill mine slightly lower to allow water to flow over the top of the teeth every got clogged (probably too much paranoia in retrospect). I only drilled one return but my tanks more of a cube. Either way, looks very slick man! Use a gate valve on your main drain and don’t cheap out and use a ball valve. Also, putting a valve on your return well greatly help you dial in the herbie style drain.

j.falk
05/13/2018, 08:02 AM
I also picked up a 36"x18" shelf unit. It fits the tank PERFECTLY and I think it will work nicely as an inexpensive stand. Each shelf is rated to 600lbs, which is much more weight than will be on them. I will be making some sort of panels to cover the stand. I am considering a faux brick wall panel that I saw at the hardware store. I could easily mount it to the stand and I think it would be a nice look.

Wouldn't the saltwater rust out the metal shelving pieces and weaken them over time? I would never use a metal stand on a marine tank as saltwater is very corrosive and you will spill some eventually or the fish will splash it out. You might really want to reconsider. Building a stand out of 2 x 4 lumber is easy, cost effective and a heck of a lot more durable.

lpsouth1978
05/13/2018, 08:39 AM
Wouldn't the saltwater rust out the metal shelving pieces and weaken them over time? I would never use a metal stand on a marine tank as saltwater is very corrosive and you will spill some eventually or the fish will splash it out. You might really want to reconsider. Building a stand out of 2 x 4 lumber is easy, cost effective and a heck of a lot more durable.

Thanks for the advice. I have considered this, but I am no builder. The last time I attempted to build a stand, it was incredibly crooked and totally unusable. Also, It is cost effective to build a stand, if you have the equipment to do so. I, do not. I only have a jig saw, no circular saw, miter saw, or table saw, so I would have to but some tools to build one adding greatly to the cost.

I think that the shelving should be fine for several years, by which time I should have a much larger tank ready to go. I am planning on a 125 build, but am planning a couple of years to gather all of the equipment to do it right.

I will also paint the metal parts with a number of coats of rust-olium to help slow the damage, I know it is not the perfect solution, but I think it will be ok for a good while. Almost all of my aquarium stands have been steel, though not a shelving unit like this, and I have never had any problems in the past.

lpsouth1978
05/13/2018, 11:52 PM
I made a little more progress today. I was able to get the stand painted with 4 coats of Rust-Oleum. I think the stand actually looks better now too. It was originally a dark brown color, now it is a gloss black.

I was also able to get most of the plumbing figured out and even glued much of it. I used Ball valves to get it figured out, but did not glue them on. I have gate valves on order, and will put them in place of the ball valves. They should be here in a few days, I will complete the plumbing then.

Along with the gate valves I also ordered the return pump. I went with the Jebao DCP-8000. It is a very large pump for this system, but I figure I can run it at a low setting and have plenty of flow remaining to run additional equipment down the road if I choose. On the lowest setting They rate it at about 633gph. The overflow box is rated to 800gph. I also figure that their flow is overstated by the manufacturer. Factor in head loss, elbows, etc., and it will probably be run on setting 2 or maybe even 3. I plan on filling the tank with tap water and doing a good leak test once the gate valves and pump arrive. I will continue to update with progress.

homer1475
05/14/2018, 02:48 AM
Just a word of caution on plumbing......

99% of our plumbing is not under pressure(except for the returns of course) and does not need to be glued in place. Most times friction is all thats needed. If you ever need to take it apart for some reason(fish stuck in the gate valve, snail stuck in pipe preventing a siphon from starting, etc) it's nice to have either plenty of unions, or not to glue the drain lines at all so they can be easily taken apart and cleaned. Most certainly put a union down close to your return pump in case you ever need to replace it.

I certainly would not glue them in the overflow box. I can't tell you how many times I have had to pull the pipes in my overflow to "fish" something out of the overflow box.

Rjukan
05/14/2018, 07:34 AM
Have other people used those storage racks for stands? I would be incredibly worried having that much weight on one with little to no horizontal bracing. Maybe if it was anchored to a wall, or wedged into the corner I would feel better, but free standing like that with that much weight is scary. Push it a bit from the side and if there is any play you should do something now rather than later.

j.falk
05/14/2018, 08:07 AM
Have other people used those storage racks for stands? I would be incredibly worried having that much weight on one with little to no horizontal bracing. Maybe if it was anchored to a wall, or wedged into the corner I would feel better, but free standing like that with that much weight is scary. Push it a bit from the side and if there is any play you should do something now rather than later.

I agree. There's probably a good reason they don't make or sell anything similar to those shelving units to be used for stands in the aquarium hobby. But I have to admit, I'm curious to see what will happen. It's 458 lbs of weight and 40 gallons of water...what could possibly go wrong? :D

lpsouth1978
05/14/2018, 01:20 PM

I agree. There's probably a good reason they don't make or sell anything similar to those shelving units to be used for stands in the aquarium hobby. But I have to admit, I'm curious to see what will happen. It's 458 lbs of weight and 40 gallons of water...what could possibly go wrong? :D

So far with it empty it is quite stable. I will play with it when I do the leak test and let you all know. I actually got the idea from several YouTube videos using them. One guy has an entire fish room setup using only these. They were all freshwater systems, but the weight is the same.

Rjukan
05/14/2018, 03:50 PM
I hear you. I'm just going on personal experience with a 60g cube. I ended up using an audio equipment rack to attach to the wall, and then screwed my stand into that because I didn't like how much movement there was when you touched the tank. My stand is made for the tank, and has contact area with the floor around the majority of the base. Yours only has those little angle corners in contact with the carpet, and the horizontal pieces are just locked in with those round bits, not bonded like a stand would be.

I don't want to make a big deal about it, but I'm worried about that set up and I would hate to hear there was a problem down the line if I didn't say something. I'm sure someone in your area would be more than happy to help build a proper 2x4 stand with you, or you could rent a mider saw from Home Depot for a very reasonable rate.

As far as the YouTube videos of people using them, check to see if they have them attached to the walls, or that the whole rack system goes wall to wall. If you took the horizontal movement out of the equation, I bet they would work fine, it's just the idea of it free standing that is making me nervous.

I have young kids, and while they know not to lean on the tank, their friends might not. God forbid something happens when you're not looking, that was my reasoning when I decided to connect mine to the wall for added stability.

lpsouth1978
05/17/2018, 09:08 AM
Not much happening right now, but looking for opinions on a sump. I have a 20L that i purchased with the plan to turn it into the sump. I have the material coming for the baffles tomorrow, but I can't decide on how I should set it up. I have always run refugiums in the past, but I don't think I will have room for a decent sized refugium and room for other equipment down the road (like various reactors).

I am considering foregoing the refugium, and just putting in a large Skimmer/reactor section in it's place. So, the sump would basically 3 chambers; the drain/filter sock section, the skimmer section, and the return section. I would place 2 baffles between each section, so that I have good bubble traps throughout. Or I could just leave most of the sump open, and only place baffles before the return pump for the bubble trap. What do you all think?

Dean Ladd
05/17/2018, 05:36 PM
Here is my 20 Long Sump for my 40 breeder tank.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=391454&stc=1&d=1526599819

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=391455&stc=1&d=1526601007

Right to left,

*Refugium, I us a very small pump to pump water into the refugium. I overflows back int the sump behind the skimmer.
*DT overflow and skimmer
* Return pump chamber
* The white acrylic box is a auto top with manual float valve shut off.

rjjr1963
05/19/2018, 09:38 PM
I wouldn't even consider using that stand. I got my metal stand from Petco for $50.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-brooklyn-metal-tank-stand---for-40-gallon-tanks-2572854?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp2572854&sc_intid=2572854&cm_mmc=PLA-GG-_-PTC_P_SUP_PLA-GG_FY17_SCShopping-Desktop-_-Non+VIP-Desktop-_-58700003272135490&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=%7badpos%7d&scid=scplp2572854&sc_intid=2572854&kwid=p26610540951&device=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqdG5o66T2wIVxSOBCh0QYw1-EAQYASABEgKIJvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

lpsouth1978
05/19/2018, 10:26 PM
I wouldn't even consider using that stand. I got my metal stand from Petco for $50.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-brooklyn-metal-tank-stand---for-40-gallon-tanks-2572854?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp2572854&sc_intid=2572854&cm_mmc=PLA-GG-_-PTC_P_SUP_PLA-GG_FY17_SCShopping-Desktop-_-Non+VIP-Desktop-_-58700003272135490&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=%7badpos%7d&scid=scplp2572854&sc_intid=2572854&kwid=p26610540951&device=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqdG5o66T2wIVxSOBCh0QYw1-EAQYASABEgKIJvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I almost purchased that stand, but I don't like that it is only 30" tall. I also read a number of reviews that said it was not made very well, and the supports did not line up as they should.

I have decided to take my chances and go with the shelving unit. I added additional support beams on the sides and back, and upgraded the shelf boards to 3/4" Plywood coated in melamine. The stand is now ROCK SOLID. I got it all leveled, and have the system running right now with just tap water. So far so good, there are no leaks, it is dead silent, and everything seems to be working as it should. I plan on running it like this for a few days, before emptying and cleaning everything. It will probably be a couple of weeks before I have the salt, rock, and sand, and could be a month before I have the skimmer.

I also got the sump done this weekend. All of the baffles are in and it seems to be doing great so far. I decided to not add a refugium, instead I will use the large middle chamber for the skimmer and any other reactors I may add later.

I added some pics of the system as it sits right now.

lpsouth1978
05/21/2018, 04:27 PM
The tank has been running with tap water about 2 1/2 days without issue. I am really happy with this setup so far. My only regret is that I went with the Eshopps Eclipse M. I think I should have, and still may, go with the Eclipse S. The M let's too much water through the weir, keeping the water level in the tank lower than I would like. Luckily this is something that can easily be remedied anytime.

I ordered a few more items today, including DI canisters to add to my existing RO system, a GFCI outlet, and refractometer. I am currently looking into ATO's. I think I am going to go with an ATO from Autotopoff.com. I have used them in the past, and was VERY happy with the unit. I am hoping to be able to order the rock, sand, and salt in the next week. Hopefully the skimmer will be on order soon as well. I will update as things continue to progress.

lpsouth1978
05/26/2018, 10:28 PM
Ok, so I did some shopping today. Nothing super exciting, but a lot of necessary items. I stopped in at a LFS today and found a Bubble Magus NAC 3.5 for $75. This thing fits perfectly in my sump and leaves me room for a pretty large fuge. While I was there, I also picked up about 40lbs of dry rock, and 40lbs of dry sand. I have the sand and Rock in the tank just waiting for water. It will take me a few days to fill the tank, but I need my salt first.

I also ordered a few things from Amazon. I got 2x Jebao OW-10 wavemaker pumps, a cheap pump for water changes and mixing saltwater, a box of Reef Crystals, and a Refractometer.

Finally, I finished my light mount and got it all set up. Right now I just have a 165W Mars Aqua hanging from it, but I plan on purchasing the 300W ViparSpectra to replace it.

Here are a few pics of the light on the mount. I decided to use 1/2" steel pipe and fittings. It is attached to the wood shelf below the tank. I painted all of the steel with 5 coats of Rest-o-leum. I then used a couple of carabineers to hang the light from the pipe.

lpsouth1978
05/26/2018, 10:29 PM
And here are a few pics of the tank with the rock and sand in it.

lpsouth1978
06/04/2018, 05:58 PM
Being patient SUCKS!!! :hmm3:

The tank has been up and running for about a week and a half now. I am just curing the rock and cycling the tank. While it may not be necessary, I have been ghost feeding the tank a bit. The only real problem that I have right now is that the first refractometer I ordered was a piece of garbage. I returned it and will be ordering a better one this week. I mixed saltwater using the instructions, so I know it is close, but can't verify the SG until the new refractometer arrives.

I have also been giving some thought to my stocking list. Let me know what you all think:

- Pair of Ocellaris Clownfish
- Royal Gramma
- Scarlet Pin Stripe Wrasse
- Lawnmower blenny
- Sand Sifting goby (not sure which one yet)
- Maybe a couple Firefish or Cardinals

I am planning on keeping mostly LPS with a few softies and zoas mixed in. I feel this list would do well together as well as help in the care and maintenance of the system. I may add a couple of mexican turbo snails down the road if they are needed.

LennyD4
06/04/2018, 06:02 PM
What brand was the refractometer?

lpsouth1978
06/04/2018, 06:07 PM
What brand was the refractometer?

I don't know. I tried to save a few bucks and ordered one on Amazon. When it came in, I found that it was ALL plastic and super cheaply made. I thought I would give it a shot anyway, but everything was sooooo out of alignment that i could not even turn the calibration screw far enough to calibrate with 35ppt calibration solution. I will be ordering one from BRS or Marine Depot. They are not real expensive anyway, but though this was one area I could save a few bucks. Live and learn.

lpsouth1978
06/07/2018, 09:06 PM
I finally got my test kit's and checked the progress of my cycle. It looks like the cycle is just about done. The params are:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 25ppm
Nitrate - 160ppm, yes 160

I will do a large water change as soon as I have my new refractometer, supposed to be here by Monday.

lpsouth1978
06/25/2018, 04:05 PM
I apologize for the lack of posts lately. My build had to take a little break due to a motorcycle accident. I am finally back home and mobile enough to continue working on the tank. I had the opportunity to do a major water change this weekend. I changed about 40 gallons and got the Nitrates down to 20. I will be doing another in a day or 2 and hope to get it down to <10. Once I am to that point, I will feel comfortable starting to add some fish.

My plan is to get all of the fish in the tank and let everything settle before adding any corals. Hopefully the tank will have it's first inhabitant this weekend. I got all of the power cleaned up and put everything on power strips with individual power switches. I also got the lights set up on timers. The only other thing I am waiting on it the ATO. I ended up ordering a dual switch ATO from Autotopoff.com. It should be here in a day or two.

lpsouth1978
07/07/2018, 11:10 AM
The tank is coming along. About 2 weeks ago I added a bonded pair of Black Ocellaris clowns and a Royal Gramma to the tank. They are all doing well, eating well, and seem happy.

Then yesterday afternoon, I visited a couple LFS's and picked up one of my favorite fish, a Melanurus Wrasse, a frogspawn frag, and a speckled hammer coral frag. Both of the corals are doing well so far. The frogspawn opened up almost immediately after going in the tank. The hammer took a couple of hours, but is open and seems to be acclimating well so far. As for the Melanurus, I will have to keep you updated... He is, of course, hiding below the sand, so I don't expect to see him for a couple of days.

As you have all probably surmised, I do not have a QT setup, so I am taking my chances and doing a freshwater dip with Methylene Blue before adding the fish to the system.

I have made a couple of updates to the system as well. I finally got the ATO and set it up. I am currently using a 10g aquarium for the reservoir. I also took off the Flare nozzles for the return and replaced them with random flow generators. So far I am pretty happy with them. They definitely add a bit more random flow to the system.

My next step is to finally get the surround for the stand done. I am hoping to complete that this weekend. I will update with pics once that is done.

I also measured my params this morning and am pretty pleased with everything so far.

DISCLAIMER - I am currently using API test kits, so these results may not be COMPLETELY accurate, but they get me in the ball park for now.

pH - 8.2 (I have a digital pH meter on the way)
Ammonia - Undetectable
Nitrite - Undetectable
Nitrate - Undetectable
Phosphate - Undetectable
Alk - 8 (a little lower than I want, but I blame it on the Reef Crystals. I plan on getting a different salt next time, just haven't decided on which one yet.)
Calcium - 460

And now for a few pics. Please let me know what you think and give any recommendations for improvement. Ignore the fake anemone, It is VERY temporary and will be coming out soon. I put it in there hoping to convince the clown not to use the corner of the tank as their host. It was totally unsuccessful!

wertoiuy
07/08/2018, 12:18 PM
Looking forward to the stand update!
Did you decide to go with or without a refugium?
I like the fish and corals so far, but what do you have for CUC and are you worried about the wrasse bothering them?
What kind of random flow generators? Could you take a detailed picture of them?
You said you didn't like the medium Eshopps because of the tank waterline being too low. Is it at least above the rim?

lpsouth1978
07/08/2018, 08:52 PM
Looking forward to the stand update!
Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to finish the surround for the stand this weekend. I will definitely post pics when I do,
Did you decide to go with or without a refugium?
With, sort of. Right now I just have a ball of chaeto in the center section, but think I will at least add some reef rubble or Marinpure.
I like the fish and corals so far, but what do you have for CUC and are you worried about the wrasse bothering them?
I am not a huge fan of CUC's. It always seems like they kill each other off and need to be constantly replenished. I am hoping to use fish and good husbandry to take the place of a CUC.
What kind of random flow generators? Could you take a detailed picture of them?
They are the RFG (random flow generator) Nozzles by Vivid Creative Aquatics. I attached photos below for you.
You said you didn't like the medium Eshopps because of the tank waterline being too low. Is it at least above the rim?
I think the medium size is too big for a 40b. Using a pump with enough flow to keep the waterline where I want it would simply overpower the tank. I am currently using a Jebao DCP-8000 Sine wave pump @ 60%. The pump is rated at 2110gph, with my plumbing setup, I figure that I am actually pushing roughly 400gph, and if I push it any further it becomes noisy and blows the sand all over the place. The overflow is rated for up to 800gph. I may still switch to the small size one of these days, but I am used to the lower water line now. It JUST comes up to the bottom of the trim.

wertoiuy
07/09/2018, 07:20 AM
Wow, that pump is huge! Do you think the head is due to the right angles in your plumbing? Maybe the RFG have a lot of head?

Habe you noticed any shimmer in the MarsAqua light?

I noticed you have a herbie drain. Could you not restric the flow on that rather than increasing pump flow? Is the herbie annoying to tweak?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

lpsouth1978
07/09/2018, 10:00 AM
Wow, that pump is huge! Do you think the head is due to the right angles in your plumbing? Maybe the RFG have a lot of head?

Habe you noticed any shimmer in the MarsAqua light?

I noticed you have a herbie drain. Could you not restric the flow on that rather than increasing pump flow? Is the herbie annoying to tweak?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Yeah, it is a big pump, but I wanted to have enough flow to be able to plumb in reactors and such down the road if needed. I think that the flow is in part due to standard head loss plus the use of a '"T" and 4 x 90 degree elbows. Also, I am only running the pump at 60%, starting the flow at about 1200gph.

The flow is restricted using the herbie. Any adjustment to the herbie requires and adjustment to the pump flow as well. Everything is balanced, so I cannot raise the water level by just adjusting the gate valve on the herbie without adjusting the flow rate as well.

The Mars Aqua actually has quite a bit of shimmer. I actually removed about half of the lenses to provide better color blending and reduce the disco ball effect. I am pretty happy with it, but will be replacing it with the 300W version in order to cover the entire tank more evenly.

lpsouth1978
07/21/2018, 11:45 PM
The tank is doing well and still progressing slowly. I have now increased the stocking to include:

- Bonded pair of Black Ocellaris Clown
- Royal Gramma Basslet
- Melanurus Wrasse
- 3 x Pajama Cardinals
- Neon Dottyback (currently in the sump)
- Frogspawn frag
- Hammer frag

Unfortunately, I decided while at the LFS the other day to make an impulse purchase of the Neon Dottback. I have had them before, but did not realize that it would not get along with the Royal Gramma. I had to catch him and move him to the fuge until I can find him a new home.

I tested the water tonight in preparation of a water change tomorrow, and am VERY happy with the current parameters of the tank. They are:

Temp - 78.5 (digital Thermometer)
SG - 1.026 (refractometer)
pH - 8.4 (digital pH tester)
Ammonia - 0 (API)
Nitrite - 0 (API)
Nitrate - Undetectable (API)
Phosphate - Undetectable (API)
Alk - 7.5 (API)
Calcium - 480 (API)

I am using the API tests for now, because I think they are accurate enough for my current needs. Eventually I plan on getting more reliable and accurate test kits, but these should suffice for a while. I will try to get some more pics tomorrow.

lpsouth1978
07/28/2018, 06:27 PM
I made the rounds to a few LFS today and picked up a Rainbow BTA. I am really happy with it and it seems to be doing really well so far. It attached to the rock almost as soon as it touched it. My clowns have not paid it any attention, but hopefully in time they will come together.

lpsouth1978
08/04/2018, 10:31 AM
I made a pretty big purchase for the tank yesterday and upgraded from the Chinese black box to 2 x AI Prime HD. So far I really like the lights, and things in the tank seem to be responding well so far. I am also quite happy with look of the tank with these lights on it. I feel like it is a cleaner look. The previous light looked good and I didn't think it looked cluttered before, but now that these are on there, looking back it did look cluttered.

lpsouth1978
08/09/2018, 02:13 PM
I only made it one week with the AI Prime HD. I just made a purchase to upgrade from the Prime's. I found a great deal on a pair of 2 month old Hydra 26 HD's with tank mounts. I should have them about the middle of next week. Now I just have to decide what to do with the Primes.

lpsouth1978
08/11/2018, 02:05 PM
This is mainly going to be a picture update. UPS shows that my new lights are not going to be here until Thurs, so I am just in a holding pattern for now. In the meantime, I have all the stuff to make diffusers for the Prime's so I think I will play with that this weekend. I plan on making some for the Hydra's when they get here, so I figure this will be a good test. I will keep you all posted.

In the mean time, enjoy some pics of the tank as it looks today.

P.S. - I posted 2 pics of my torch, the first is of it in the spot I originally placed it. The second is of it 20 minutes later, after moving it in front of a rock. I guess it didn't like the first spot.

lpsouth1978
08/11/2018, 02:06 PM
More Pics:

BruceWayne
08/15/2018, 03:15 PM
Im a big refugium guy, but your either one or not personally wouldn't set up a tank with out one. Couldnt you have 3 chamber
1. tank to chamber 1 bags, skimmer,
2. refugium, 3 return

lpsouth1978
08/15/2018, 06:22 PM
Im a big refugium guy, but your either one or not personally wouldn't set up a tank with out one. Couldnt you have 3 chamber
1. tank to chamber 1 bags, skimmer,
2. refugium, 3 return

About that....

It looks like I forgot to mention that I ended up finding a Bubble Magus NAC 3.5 skimmer that fits perfectly in the first chamber. I now have a ball of chaeto in the middle chamber that is roughly the size of a volleball. I plan on adding some marine pure blocks in there eventually, but for now it is working great.

BruceWayne
08/15/2018, 08:07 PM
Great to hear it’s doign well looks great

lpsouth1978
08/20/2018, 08:28 PM
New update -

I was checking out a LFS I had not been to previously and they had a really nice green Haddoni Carpet anemone, so I decided to get it. They only wanted $45 for it, and the last one I had years ago cost me close to $200.

I also took the Primes off the tank and shipped them out to their new owner. I was supposed to get my new Hydra 26HD's thursdays, but there have been issued with UPS and I am still waiting for them to be delivered. In the mean time, I have a pair of PAR38 bulbs over the tank and they seem to be doing OK. I placed a light directly over each anemone since everything else in the tank is low light.

I attached a short video of the tank as it sits right now with the new anemone and the PAR38 bulbs over it.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1852/42358514480_cbb8015350_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/27x5sBb)40 breeder 08-20-2018 (https://flic.kr/p/27x5sBb) by Lyle Southard (https://www.flickr.com/photos/166227805@N05/), on Flickr

lpsouth1978
08/22/2018, 11:05 PM
I finally got the Hydra 26 HD's yesterday and got everything set up on the tank last night. The shipping was a bit of a mess, and the packaging of everything was a joke. The guy I bought them from put the lights in the original boxes, but then just threw everything else in a box. When I opened it, there was a rats nest of wires, power supplies, and mounting hardware. It took me about 20 minutes to get it all untangled and out of the box.

Anyway, the lights are in great condition and work well. first thing I did was complete the diffusers for them. I already had the acrylic cut and the stand-offs ready to go, I just needed to know where to drill the holes. So far I am pretty happy with the lights, but I do have a couple of complaints and there is definitely some room for improvement on AI's part.

First, the mounting system is a serious pain in the @$$! My biggest problem is that they did nothing to make it compatible with rimmed tanks. I ended up having to cut small discs of PVC pipe to use as spacers inside and outside the tank to keep the lights from falling. It looks totally ghetto on an otherwise clean system.

Second, the WIFI on these lights is TERRIBLE!!!! I have only one cable outlet in my home where I can locate my modem and router. It works great for EVERYTHING else in the house, but I cold not connect to the Hydra's with it. I ended up having to connect a 50 foot coax cable to my modem and stringing it halfway across my house. It is now working, most of the time, but I have cable running across the house and a modem and router sitting in the middle of the floor. Now I need to try and find a good range extender to use.

Anyway, here are a couple of pics of the lights, with diffusers, and the tank. Let me know what you think.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1891/42403030280_b6c7f76792_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/27B1BAY)20180822_214610 (https://flic.kr/p/27B1BAY) by Lyle Southard (https://www.flickr.com/photos/166227805@N05/), on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1832/44210772131_2c0d7f1777_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2amKLgV)20180822_214459 (https://flic.kr/p/2amKLgV) by Lyle Southard (https://www.flickr.com/photos/166227805@N05/), on Flickr

lpsouth1978
09/01/2018, 03:40 PM
Things are going very well with the system. I have moved a few things around, mostly for tier protection, but also in preparation of receiving a number of new additions that I ordered from AquaSD during the Labor day sale. I picked up an Aussie Blasto, Acan Lord, Zoas, Favia, Galaxea, and an Aussie Macromussa. I also git a John Deere Leptastrea in their Ebay auctions this week. I got all 7 corals for less than $130 shipped.

In addition to these, I stopped into the LFS yesterday and found a beautiful Aussie Elegance and couldn't pass it up. I have been wanting and looking for an elegance for a while, but everything I found was just outrageously priced, I got it home, drip acclimated it, and put it in the tank. Within about an hour, it had opened up pretty well. By this morning it was double the size it was in the store and looks amazing. Next to my Indo gold tip torch, this is my favorite coral in the tank right now.

Here is a FTS from this morning

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1891/43503619195_923d7ed3f5_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/29hgqkV)20180901_092443 (https://flic.kr/p/29hgqkV) by Lyle Southard (https://www.flickr.com/photos/166227805@N05/), on Flickr

And the Elegance coral (under my normal lighting)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1845/43503618485_bcb91b3a13_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/29hgq8F)20180901_081746 (https://flic.kr/p/29hgq8F) by Lyle Southard (https://www.flickr.com/photos/166227805@N05/), on Flickr

Elegance coral (under UV, Violet, and RB)

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1886/43503619115_c84e7b7ad7_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/29hgqjx)20180901_081619 (https://flic.kr/p/29hgqjx) by Lyle Southard (https://www.flickr.com/photos/166227805@N05/), on Flickr

A short video of the tank this morning (sorry about the music, I was cleaning the house and has it playing in the background).

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1852/42598592910_28598157bc_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/27UhVys)Tank video Sept 1 2018 (https://flic.kr/p/27UhVys) by Lyle Southard (https://www.flickr.com/photos/166227805@N05/), on Flickr