PDA

View Full Version : Just lost my shrimp

Bella reef
05/10/2018, 11:16 PM
Alright people I need help to figure out what just happened I my fire shrimp and my cleaner shrimp and one emerald crab died right after the water change I donít know why maybe I took to long to add the water back it was only like 10-15 mins I donít know I was told to test the water I am putting in to look at the levels bc I am using redsea coral pro.

So here are my readings
Alk11.5
Cal 425
Mag-1450
Phos-.07
Ph-8.0
Nitrates -0
Ammonia-10ppm
Salinity 1.025
What killed them I got snails and hermits and they are up and scavenging since lights just went out please help

And I just saw about 5 -10 tiny tiny fury things swimming around what could those be ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daddi0
05/10/2018, 11:25 PM
Ammonia poisoning?

Bella reef
05/10/2018, 11:28 PM
Ammonia poisoning?

I saw it was high but I donít even get how it brand new water

Daddi0
05/10/2018, 11:36 PM
As I understand, .1ppm ammonia is bad and you have 100 times that???

Bella reef
05/10/2018, 11:40 PM
As I understand, .1ppm ammonia is bad and you have 100 times that???

Well it was between 5-10 I have a color nitros test and it didnít have my color so I guessed high I believe it was probably lower then ten but I am guessing that why they diied

Daddi0
05/10/2018, 11:41 PM
If you still have livestock, I would dose Prime immed.

manilaboy1vic
05/10/2018, 11:42 PM
took too long? you doing a 100% water change or something??

is the tank cycled.. why is there ammonia?

slief
05/10/2018, 11:42 PM
I saw it was high but I donít even get how it brand new water

Are you using RODI water? Chlormamines could very well be your issue as ammonia is a component of chloramine which is very common in tap water. I run a high end RODI setup and have a pair of chloramine Chlorplus cartridges ahead of my 5 stage RODI just to insure I donít have chloramines in my water. How old is this tank that you have them in? Did your water change water match the tank water in both salinity and temp? A sudden change in either when doing a water change can and will kill shrimp. They are very sensitive to rapid changes in chemistry, temp, salinity etc.

Bella reef
05/10/2018, 11:45 PM
Yea the tank is a year old , my salinity in the tank and the water was at 1.025 and I had a heater in the bucket but the heater in the tank was exposed so I turned it off

Daddi0
05/10/2018, 11:48 PM
Did you add Prime to your tank yet?

Bella reef
05/10/2018, 11:53 PM
No I canít find it just going to do a water change right now

Bella reef
05/10/2018, 11:55 PM
took too long? you doing a 100% water change or something??

is the tank cycled.. why is there ammonia?

Yea I itís a small tank so i have the heater inside and so I turn everything but the light off when I do the water change and I took about to 10-15 min to add water back in after I took it off and the tank is a year old

Daddi0
05/10/2018, 11:57 PM
No I canít find it just going to do a water change right now

If the ammonia is coming from your water source as Chloramine - Your water change is useless!!!

Bella reef
05/10/2018, 11:58 PM
There is no way I have a rodi system that is brand no my tds reading is 0

Bella reef
05/10/2018, 11:59 PM

Brand New**

laverda
05/11/2018, 02:14 AM

You could still have chlorimines. In verts are very sensitive to ammonia. I am 99% sure that is what killed them. Your ammonia should be undetectable with a hobby test kit. Test your new water for ammoniaor better yet get a chlorine test kit to test your RO/DI. Changing water could just make things worse.

Bella reef
05/11/2018, 06:13 AM
You could still have chlorimines. In verts are very sensitive to ammonia. I am 99% sure that is what killed them. Your ammonia should be undetectable with a hobby test kit. Test your new water for ammoniaor better yet get a chlorine test kit to test your RO/DI. Changing water could just make things worse.

Okay so I mix d up my test when I wrote them down I tested today my nitrates are at 10 ppm and I do have diatom on my sand and my Ammonia is at 0 could that have still killed them ??

alton
05/11/2018, 06:25 AM
Check with your water supplier to see if they use Chlorine or Chloramines?
Go buy a free and total chlorine test from a pool place and check your levels before and after your RO system. My water has 3 to 4 PPM of free and total and my water district uses Chloramines. A standard system will not remove all the chloramines and you end up with ammonia.
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/public/chloramine-disinfection.html

Bella reef
05/11/2018, 06:26 AM
Check with your water supplier to see if they use Chlorine or Chloramines?
Go buy a free and total chlorine test from a pool place and check your levels before and after your RO system. My water has 3 to 4 PPM of free and total and my water district uses Chloramines. A standard system will not remove all the chloramines and you end up with ammonia.
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/public/chloramine-disinfection.html

Okay Iíll check that out
so does chloramine affect my nitrates ??

alton
05/11/2018, 06:42 AM
If you are adding ammonia it has to cycle through your tank. NH3 - No2 - No3 and yes Nitrates

Bella reef
05/11/2018, 06:45 AM
If you are adding ammonia it has to cycle through your tank. NH3 - No2 - No3 and yes Nitrates

No I am not adding anything my ammonia is at 0
My Nitrates are at around 5-10ppm the rest isnít so accurate it is a color test

laverda
05/11/2018, 11:16 AM
Nitrates at 10 is not an issue at all for inverts or corals in my opinion.

Drewbe147
05/11/2018, 02:39 PM
My question is why the 100% WC with the livestock in the tank? You could drastically change things..if your wanting close to a 100% why not 4 25% WCs spread out over a couple days to ensure better stability? Sure the 4 25% changes wont fully equal 100% prolly closer to 80% or something but it is definitely safer imo unless your removing livestock to another tank or something then re acclimating to ur new water from the 100% change. Just my opinion but thats alot of parameters that can all be changed and my understanding of this hobby so far is stability is more of a key that spot on numbers along with slow adjustments being made..just my thoughts

slief
05/11/2018, 03:33 PM

Just because you have an RODI system and the output is 0 TDS doesnít mean chloramines arenít passing through the system. I have a very high end RODI system that always reads 0. When it reads 1 on any of the DI cartridges, I swap the DI. That said, I still added two Pentek ChlorPlus cartridges ahead of the RODI system to insure that chloramines donít pass through. Chloramines can and will pass through the RODI without showing TDS and the only way to prevent it is with proper cartridges designed for chloramines. A standard carbon block found in most RODIís wonít remove all the chloramines. Since adding my ChlorPlus cartridges ahead of my RODI, no only did I insure that chloramines wonít get into my water but my RODIís RO membrane and DI cartridges last much longer. If you are detecting ammonia in your RODI water or newly mixed salt water, you have to address that issue. Also, if you are doing 100% water changes which I donít think you confirmed nor denied when somebody inquired above, that is a huge mistake. You will totally stress the inhabitants of your tank whether itís fish, corals or inverts and there is a great likelihood of stressing things to the point of death due to the drastic change in chemistry. I personally feel very strongly that smaller daily water changes are easier on the systems inhabitants than larger weekly ones. Iíve seen first hand shrimp go into shock as a result of very large water changes.

Back to the chloramines since they are a very real issue for us reef keepers whose municipalities use chloramines like mine does. This is my RODI setup. The main RODI is a SpectraPure 100 GPH UHE 1:1 system. Below it is my prefilter which consists of a 5 micron sediment and the two Pentek ChlorPlus filters. That prefilter then goes into my Spectrapure.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/Shed/IMG_5885_zpsx6nks22z.jpg

RioReefr
05/11/2018, 03:45 PM
I have read through this thread and still have no idea how big your tank is and how much water you changed out. Nor does the person states whether he tested the water that was put back.
I CAN tell you my experience with Red Sea Coral Pro salt hasn't been overly positive. I've test this water after mixing for 2 hours and the pH had always been on the high-end (like 8.5 or even higher at 9). I had found I would have to let it sit for a few more hours with no powerhead and it would come down to 8.4. Also the Alk of this salt is on the high-end, such as 12. I've stopped using this salt because I don't keep my tank anywhere near those numbers for my LPS-only.

Anyway, if the tank was at pH of 8.0 and a large volume was put back at 9.0 then remember that is 10-fold change in pH by going from 8 to 9. That could have been the reason. But, I don't know how resilient shrimp are in such a swing in pH.

Uncle99
05/11/2018, 06:21 PM
Just because you have an RODI system and the output is 0 TDS doesnít mean chloramines arenít passing through the system. I have a very high end RODI system that always reads 0. When it reads 1 on any of the DI cartridges, I swap the DI. That said, I still added two Pentek ChlorPlus cartridges ahead of the RODI system to insure that chloramines donít pass through. Chloramines can and will pass through the RODI without showing TDS and the only way to prevent it is with proper cartridges designed for chloramines. A standard carbon block found in most RODIís wonít remove all the chloramines. Since adding my ChlorPlus cartridges ahead of my RODI, no only did I insure that chloramines wonít get into my water but my RODIís RO membrane and DI cartridges last much longer. If you are detecting ammonia in your RODI water or newly mixed salt water, you have to address that issue. Also, if you are doing 100% water changes which I donít think you confirmed nor denied when somebody inquired above, that is a huge mistake. You will totally stress the inhabitants of your tank whether itís fish, corals or inverts and there is a great likelihood of stressing things to the point of death due to the drastic change in chemistry. I personally feel very strongly that smaller daily water changes are easier on the systems inhabitants than larger weekly ones. Iíve seen first hand shrimp go into shock as a result of very large water changes.

Back to the chloramines since they are a very real issue for us reef keepers whose municipalities use chloramines like mine does. This is my RODI setup. The main RODI is a SpectraPure 100 GPH UHE 1:1 system. Below it is my prefilter which consists of a 5 micron sediment and the two Pentek ChlorPlus filters. That prefilter then goes into my Spectrapure.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/Shed/IMG_5885_zpsx6nks22z.jpg

Now that is serious water making stuff!
Wow!