PDA

View Full Version : Ending fallow period

icliao
05/11/2018, 04:38 AM
My new tank has been fishless since End December last year and March 5th is the time I added the last piece of coral. It will be 70 days soon. I am planning to do a black molly test just to confirm everything is fine. Should I hold off further say 12 weeks? Or should I proceed right now? I went fishless mainly to avoid introducing fish diseases from all the new corals I added the last 3 months for total re-aquascaping.

homer1475
05/11/2018, 04:49 AM
Black molly test?

That is a fresh water fish, what are you going to do with it in a salt water tank? Other then kill it when you put it into SW.

Umm, you held off on fish because of corals? You do realize your talking FISH diseases, that typically do not infect corals. You can carry over something from the coral base, but that is highly unlikely and does not typically happen if you are inspecting and dipping your corals.

icliao
05/11/2018, 04:52 AM
I do mean to acclimate it properly to seawater. You can search black molly test for marine fish disease in the web. Call me paranoid but I did lost all but one fish last year and the only thing I did not quarantine were invertebrates.

Crooked Reef
05/11/2018, 06:53 AM
Mollies can be successfully acclimated to saltwater and live in a reef tank. They readily breed and their fry make good food for the other fish in the tank. I’m assuming this test is because the black fish shows the white spots from ich. From what I remember you should get full freshwater mollies and acclimate them though because any freshwater disease will die in the conversion where if they are already saltwater mollies the disease will survive the move and you can reinfect your tank.

homer1475
05/11/2018, 06:57 AM
Yes I know FW mollies can be acclimated to SW. Just seems archaic to me to sacrifice a FW for the sake of a SW tank. Why not just put in a regular SW fish as opposed to going through the trouble of acclimating to only have it die of things aren't right?

icliao
05/11/2018, 08:33 AM
Yes I know FW mollies can be acclimated to SW. Just seems archaic to me to sacrifice a FW for the sake of a SW tank. Why not just put in a regular SW fish as opposed to going through the trouble of acclimating to only have it die of things aren't right?

I plan to covert them back to freshwater and give back to the store afterwards. They do not need to be sacrificed.

sde1500
05/11/2018, 08:52 AM

Because if there is a disease in the tank still, the Molly likely will show signs, and they are by a large factor cheaper than any saltwater fish.

nereefpat
05/11/2018, 09:05 AM
...and ich shows up really obviously on the molly because of its black color.

Since you have been fallow for so long, I wouldn't worry about ich. If you want to be 100% sure, I would wait 76 days from adding the coral.

heuerfan
05/11/2018, 09:16 AM
Ich can come from coral as well, just an fyi. If you want to be sure then you would qt everything for a month at least before it goes in your display.

I once got ich from introducing cheato to my tank.....

good luck.

BaleKlocoon
05/11/2018, 08:51 PM
Molly was my first fish. I planned to keep it but believe it or not it was the most aggressive fish in my tank and was constantly nipping at my clown fish and blue chromis, so I let it free in the lake by my house. It probably became turtle or duck food.

icliao
05/12/2018, 11:59 AM
Doing the molly test next Wednesday at Day 74. Leaving me some time to add the fishes before leaving for 3 weeks holiday on june 9th. Not much room for an error.