PDA

View Full Version : How would you stock a 29 Gallon Reef Tank?

MyHouseIsAZoo
05/11/2018, 06:50 AM
I'm too observant for my own good and know that I'm getting sand and rock for Mother's Day (80lbs of sand and 40lbs of rock...can you tell who does the research and who just buys things?) so I can convert our former freshwater tank to a saltwater tank YAY! It will likely be 4-6 weeks before we add anything to the tank in terms of fish, but I like to have a game plan.

How would you stock the tank?

sde1500
05/11/2018, 07:24 AM
That is a lot of sand for a tank of that size. Do you plan on it all going in??

As for stock,that is pretty open, do you want reef? FOWLR? Do you already have a saltwater tank and this is a second?

MyHouseIsAZoo
05/11/2018, 07:55 AM
That is a lot of sand for a tank of that size. Do you plan on it all going in??

As for stock,that is pretty open, do you want reef? FOWLR? Do you already have a saltwater tank and this is a second?

Oh no, it won't all go in! I'm thinking 2 bags should be more than enough. I can save the other two for the 75 gallon we will be setting up next.

We plan to do reef in the 29. I'm saving FOWLR for our hopeful eventual big build when we finish our basement. Then we can do a puffer and other fish that are not reef friendly.

We have a 14 gallon biocube currently. Have 2 baby clowns, a high fin goby and a royal gamma and clean up crew. Have pretty much maxed out on coral in there.

sde1500
05/11/2018, 07:57 AM
Hmm, lets see. If I were to have a nano reef already, plus plans for a fowler, 29 is a decent size for a seahorse pair.

mcgyvr
05/11/2018, 08:05 AM
Well.. its your tank...;)
29G reef tank... lets see..
I'd put maybe 1 small fish in it if that.. probably not have any fish in a tank that small..

20lbs of sand, 30lbs of rock, a decent CUC and fill it with soft/lps corals..

nereefpat
05/11/2018, 08:09 AM
I would move the two clowns, gramma, and goby from the 14 into this 29.

Then, in the biocube, do something like pipefish.

MarkW64
05/11/2018, 08:18 AM
We plan to do reef in the 29. I'm saving FOWLR for our hopeful eventual big build when we finish our basement. Then we can do a puffer and other fish that are not reef friendly.

We have a 14 gallon biocube currently. Have 2 baby clowns, a high fin goby and a royal gamma and clean up crew. Have pretty much maxed out on coral in there.

I just set up a 32g for my pair of mantis shrimps -- but that was to remove them from my reef -- so not much help to you!:hmm5:

That sounds like quite the "zoo" you have going/planning -- without even knowing what other animals you have. Sounds like it would be fun to visit when I'm in GR about twice a year to see family!

MyHouseIsAZoo
05/11/2018, 08:34 AM
Hmm, lets see. If I were to have a nano reef already, plus plans for a fowler, 29 is a decent size for a seahorse pair.

The FOWLER is likely years down the road. I do love seahorses, but I'm not sure that I'm ready for something so delicate. I hear they are very sensitive to any changes in perimeters.

Well.. its your tank...;)
29G reef tank... lets see..
I'd put maybe 1 small fish in it if that.. probably not have any fish in a tank that small..

20lbs of sand, 30lbs of rock, a decent CUC and fill it with soft/lps corals..
It is my tank :P But I like to get ideas/advice from more seasoned reefers.

I would move the two clowns, gramma, and goby from the 14 into this 29.

Then, in the biocube, do something like pipefish.

I have considered moving the clowns to the 29 and making it an anemone tank.

I just set up a 32g for my pair of mantis shrimps -- but that was to remove them from my reef -- so not much help to you!:hmm5:

That sounds like quite the "zoo" you have going/planning -- without even knowing what other animals you have. Sounds like it would be fun to visit when I'm in GR about twice a year to see family!

We have 2 guinea pigs, 3 dogs (a 2 year old Rottie, a 1 year old Malamute and a 4 month old Rottie), 2 kids and an 18 year old sister in the house. LOL! If land wasn't so expensive around here we would have a full on farm if we could. My kids know they can have almost any mammal they want (I won't do rats or ferrets because they creep me out...oh and no cats because they are *******s) and fish are always a yes just might take a little time to get a tank ready. No reptiles, amphibians, birds or arachnids (all but the birds creep me out and birds are loud and annoying). I grew up on a farm, so animals just make home feel like home! We try to have fun!

The kids have named the fish and most of the coral and help pick out a lot of the stuff that goes in our tank.

Easy E
05/11/2018, 10:48 PM
How would you stock the tank?

If I was starting a new 29, I would add a small CUC first, as suggested by others, and see how that works. If the CUC was doing well, I would then add a yellowhead jawfish, because they are one of my personal favorites and they seem to acclimate much better when they are the first fish. I like the fact that they build their own burrow, and if they are alone in the tank it gives them a chance to find their preferred spot without intrusion. In fact, they may build several burrows before they decide on the one they like best. Once their home is established, I find their behavior fascinating. They seem to sense when it's feeding time and hover above the burrow almost begging for food. They are lightning quick and keenly aware of their surroundings, darting out to snag bits of food and darting in when they sense the slightest danger. This skittishness can be a drawback though, unless the tank is fully covered. It seems like even if there's only one small hole, a jawfish will eventually find it and wind up on the floor. At least that's been my experience.

These are just my thoughts on what I would do if it was starting a new 29. It's your tank, so you can do whatever you want. You've made a wise decision to plan carefully ahead of time. Make a stocking list and add the new inhabitants slowly in the proper order. As a general rule, you'll want to add the more peaceful fish first and the more aggressive fish last. Don't add any fish or corals that will get too big or too aggressive for a small tank, and by all means, don't overstock. The most important thing you can do is research. Some fish are small and cute as juveniles, but get big and mean as adults. Some corals will poison their neighbors, overpopulate, and take over the entire tank.

Other than that, the possibilities are wide open at this point. Just remember to proceed patiently and cautiously. Most people that run into trouble in this hobby don't follow that one simple rule, myself included. If you notice that a recent addition is causing problems or not doing well, stop, assess the situation, and make the necessary corrections before moving on. Good luck, and enjoy your first reef tank!

Anemone
05/11/2018, 11:46 PM
Hmm, two ocellaris or percula clowns, a yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair, a yellow-tailed blue damsel and a pygmy angel (either a coral beauty or a flame). With the right lighting, a rose BTA anemone would make a neat and active tank to watch for hours.

Kevin

Easy E
05/12/2018, 12:04 AM
a pygmy angel (either a coral beauty or a flame).

Wouldn't a 29gal tank be way too small for either of these angels?

Anemone
05/12/2018, 10:00 AM
Wouldn't a 29gal tank be way too small for either of these angels?

A coral beauty could, over time, get too large, but IME, there is some pretty good size variation, so it might not happen. If there are concerns, another, smaller pygmy (like a cherub or flameback) could be substituted. I just happen to like the coloration of the CB or Flame.

Kevin

Joe0813
05/12/2018, 10:29 AM
my wife has a little 24 gallon that she put a pair of blackstorm clowns in, a tiny firefish and a clown goby

MyHouseIsAZoo
05/15/2018, 11:37 AM
Hmm, two ocellaris or percula clowns, a yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair, a yellow-tailed blue damsel and a pygmy angel (either a coral beauty or a flame). With the right lighting, a rose BTA anemone would make a neat and active tank to watch for hours.

Kevin

This is close to what I am thinking. Clowns, a nem or two, a yellow watchman and shrimpy friend, and maybe a firefish or another small, brightly colored fish.

MyHouseIsAZoo
05/15/2018, 11:48 AM
The tank is set up, lighting and heater are on their way. We did a deep sand bed because I am thinking of trying an LTA (will not add any nems until tank has been stable for a few months...I'm thinking a New Year nem sounds great) and they need a deep bed. We aren't super in love with the deep bed, so we are debating removing some of the sand. It will likely be FOWLR until after nems are added and settled. I'm thinking CUC, clowns, nems, then other fish and coral. This way the nems don't destroy anything if they don't like where they are originally placed.

hkgar
05/15/2018, 12:59 PM
I would stock slowly!

MyHouseIsAZoo
05/16/2018, 06:31 AM
I would stock slowly!

That's my plan!

hkgar
05/16/2018, 02:18 PM
That's my plan!

:dance:

Toga2
05/23/2018, 01:03 AM
Pair of clowns, anemone and small gobies :)