PDA

View Full Version : Food Won't Sink!

teddscau
05/13/2018, 01:08 PM
Okay, so I just got my first saltwater tank on Wednesday. It's a used tank with SPS corals, photosynthetic gorgonians, mushrooms, zoas, sun coral, etc. Anyways, the corals have been extremely easy to feed. What I'm having problems with is the hermit crabs. I know, I know, most people don't go out of their way to feed their janitors. Anyways, I'm trying to give them a veggie round pellet, but the stupid thing keeps flying all over the tank! They sink no problem in my freshwater and brackish tanks, but these suckers refuse to sink in my saltwater tank!

How the heck do you guys feed "sinking" pellets to your bottom dwellers? Do you guys have some sort of DIY contraptions for holding the food? Thanks!

Drewbe147
05/13/2018, 01:10 PM
You can soak them first as well as turn off your flow for a few minutes

homer1475
05/13/2018, 01:12 PM
NLS sink with no problem, and they make an algae pellet too.

Try pushing them under water first. I pick up a couple in my finger tips, and swish under water. They sink with no issue.

rvareef
05/13/2018, 02:42 PM
Okay, so I just got my first saltwater tank on Wednesday. It's a used tank with SPS corals, photosynthetic gorgonians, mushrooms, zoas, sun coral, etc. Anyways, the corals have been extremely easy to feed. What I'm having problems with is the hermit crabs. I know, I know, most people don't go out of their way to feed their janitors. Anyways, I'm trying to give them a veggie round pellet, but the stupid thing keeps flying all over the tank! They sink no problem in my freshwater and brackish tanks, but these suckers refuse to sink in my saltwater tank!

How the heck do you guys feed "sinking" pellets to your bottom dwellers? Do you guys have some sort of DIY contraptions for holding the food? Thanks!

let them soak in a shot glass with some tank water, when they fall to the bottom, add to the tank

teddscau
05/13/2018, 07:48 PM
I tried soaking them for 3 minutes, but no luck. Guess I'll have to either wait longer or use different pellets. Anyways, thanks guys ;). Oh, I also put a bunch of new shells in for them earlier today, and the Halloween hermit crab immediately put on a new one :). He hasn't walked around in his new shell yet, though.

NO3
05/13/2018, 08:42 PM
You have to make the food heavier than the water its displacing.

Soaking in garlic extract liquid is an AWESOME choice with the benefits of garlic to the fish

I use SeaChems GarlicGuard

Uncle99
05/14/2018, 10:35 AM
Sinking pellets maybe?
Really, you feed the cleaners, so who cleans up the garbage?

BaleKlocoon
05/16/2018, 12:29 PM
Some people use feeding stations like these: http://www.aquariumplants.com/Eheim-Feeding-Station-p/ehm40203.htm?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=Cj0KCQjwre_XBRDVARIsAPf7zZiRccx6MjXoh90pC2kyJ1INs1q5WUofivxx7XQaklfNokiRZjmvj-4aAh5FEALw_wcB

If it doesn't sink after sitting in the water for 30 minutes, it probably isn't going to sink. These definitely sink in saltwater: https://www.chewy.com/new-life-spectrum-marine-1mm-sinking/dp/158752?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=New%20Life%20Spectrum&utm_term=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwre_XBRDVARIsAPf7zZgedtcEjqkGWXYiEWro0MBRKNI9DuxUk1m13exxz8C4rHFBj4bK35saAqmOEALw_wcB