PDA

View Full Version : Anemone confined to small rock/island? It work?

Reefpuck
05/13/2018, 09:19 PM
Really wanting to add one or two anemones (RBTA) to my 90g as I'm starting to feel it's reaching that "established" stage.

But I have quite a few frags in the tank already...and the thought of an anemone cruising around stinging everything looking for it's spot freaks me out.

I have a large rock on the bottom front corner of the tank that I could keep about 6" from the rest of the rock. Is it realistic? Anyone have a pic of a similar setup?

homer1475
05/14/2018, 04:05 AM
Anemones no matter where you put them, will typically "walk" to where ever they want to be, and they typically do not stay put. They may for a while, but then all of a sudden one day they decide to take a "walk". If that happens to over the top of your prized zoas or acans, or any coral, they simply will.

If you cherish your corals, don't get the BTA. Not only will they kill a coral if walked on, they also split to reproduce. 1 quickly becomes 2, which quickly becomes 4, etc, etc.

Uncle99
05/14/2018, 10:32 AM
Anemones no matter where you put them, will typically "walk" to where ever they want to be, and they typically do not stay put. They may for a while, but then all of a sudden one day they decide to take a "walk". If that happens to over the top of your prized zoas or acans, or any coral, they simply will.

If you cherish your corals, don't get the BTA. Not only will they kill a coral if walked on, they also split to reproduce. 1 quickly becomes 2, which quickly becomes 4, etc, etc.

^^^^^above^^^^^^
Absolutely solid advice.
I put the RBTA in first, once he stopped moving, then came the corals. He has not moved in 26 months now, must be happy.

If you can move the corals temporarily for say 30 days, that would likely be safe, but always some risk in this hobby...