PDA

View Full Version : whats your "canary in a coal mine"?

RioReefr
05/16/2018, 04:50 PM
Do you have a coral, fish, or some other critter that just doesn't look right and you know your parameters are "off" just by looking at this?

I know most people will just says "water tests tell me everything", but to be fair I cannot do 2 consecutive water tests in succession and get the same result.
My Hanna dKH might be the exception but for the most part my tests are just a general range that seem to vary.

Anyway, I have this tiny little one-head Duncan frag. When the color looks good and polyps are fulling extending, pretty much everything else in the tank looks great. If this is not the case, then something else might look bad. I will check the water parameters and sure enough something will not be quite right.

Just wondering if there are some other critters out there that are super sensitive to water parameter changes and one can tell when something just isn't right?

AlSimmons
05/16/2018, 05:13 PM
Gosh, I don't know. In most cases everything is cool, but sometimes there are certain corals that just aren't as "full" as they should be. If 8 out 10 looks good though there's really no need to panic or do anything drastic, just chalk it up as a bad day. The parameters might not be precise that day, but they sure as hell weren't off. I hope that made since... ;)

Daddi0
05/16/2018, 05:20 PM
Gotta be the Red Dragon

AlSimmons
05/16/2018, 05:27 PM
I have one of those... This thing grows by the day for some reason. Bulletproof almost. :D

billdogg
05/16/2018, 07:40 PM
My elegance coral tells me when it’s water change time.

top shelf
05/16/2018, 08:21 PM
My torch let's me know when it's time for a water change. I do one weekly but usually a day or 2 before it isn't as full as it usually is. Used to have a blasto that would let me know when ALK was low but has started to recede so not much help anymore.

Rover88
05/17/2018, 06:27 AM
Same as you RioReefr, I have a Duncans Head colony that usually tells me when things aren't right.

ryeguyy84
05/17/2018, 02:24 PM
Same as you RioReefr, I have a Duncans Head colony that usually tells me when things aren't right.

I second the Duncans, if somethings going on they look sad.

mcgyvr
05/17/2018, 03:15 PM
For me lately everything is doing fantastic except devils hand leathers... ??
IDK whats up.. They just look like poop and seem to just shrink over the course of a few months almost never showing an PE or anything..
It was doing great then one day just stopped and nothing I do results in an improvements.. Been like that for a good 6 months or so..
I had about 6 of them and all are doing the same thing..

Silly clownfish
05/18/2018, 09:31 AM
That spot in the tank that is the first to develop nuisance algaE.

jisc
05/19/2018, 07:15 AM
For me lately everything is doing fantastic except devils hand leathers... ??
IDK whats up.. They just look like poop and seem to just shrink over the course of a few months almost never showing an PE or anything..
It was doing great then one day just stopped and nothing I do results in an improvements.. Been like that for a good 6 months or so..
I had about 6 of them and all are doing the same thing..

My devils hand has been closed for 4 months after doing great. Moved to better flow. Didnít help. Moved back to original location yesterday. Could yellow clown goby sitting on it be the culprit? Really frustrating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WVfishguy
05/19/2018, 06:12 PM
When my Xenia begin to shrivel, I check parameters. While they grow & spread rapidly they are not extremely hardy.

Another "canary" is the Powder Brown tang, Acanthurus japonicus. Very sensitive fish.

64Ivy
05/20/2018, 10:29 AM
For me, it’s always milliporas. Mine’ll start to fade if it’s raining outside.

boxfishpooalot
05/20/2018, 02:58 PM
My green star polyps close up with too much ozone. If i turn it down or off, they open up.