PDA

View Full Version : When to replace sand bed in reef

Foolkiller
05/18/2018, 04:03 PM
Hi all, Sorry for some reason I'm a member and can't search (seems disabled):fun4: So I apologize if this is covered somewhere.

I've had a very stable running 140Gal Reef tank that's been running over two years. At what point would I start to consider swapping out some of the live sand? I run with about 1.5-2" in depth. Are there signs I need to start looking out for or just give it a good cleaning/stir every now and then.

Thanks in advance.

Subsea
05/18/2018, 04:24 PM
Hi all, Sorry for some reason I'm a member and can't search (seems disabled):fun4: So I apologize if this is covered somewhere.

I've had a very stable running 140Gal Reef tank that's been running over two years. At what point would I start to consider swapping out some of the live sand? I run with about 1.5-2" in depth. Are there signs I need to start looking out for or just give it a good cleaning/stir every now and then.

Thanks in advance.

My sandbed is 25 years old. Sand bed maintenance coupled with janitors prevents issues.

A functioning sandbed uses nutrient recycling to feed tank inhabitants live food. While bacteria are a part of that live food, sandbed detrivores multiply to food supply and spawn larvae for filter feeders in the tank. These detrivores include Cerith Snails, micro starfish, bristle worms, pods, and the list goes on