PDA

View Full Version : good type of starfish

Shad_023
05/19/2018, 08:49 PM
I am trying to figure out what kind of starfish I can have with corals, hermits, snails, emerald crabs, and fish. Anyone have a suggestion?

LeJeune981
05/19/2018, 09:11 PM
I have hitchiked Astrina stars and I have a banded serpant star

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Sk8r
05/19/2018, 09:32 PM
Ordinary brittle stars are good. Most every other starfish either eats things you wish they wouldn't or won't eat anything you've got and slowly dies.

Timfish
05/20/2018, 07:22 AM
Do not make the mistake of getting Fromia starfish. Odds of surviving past 6 months are very, very poor.

Uncle99
05/20/2018, 07:53 AM
IMO starfish, in many cases, do not last long in captivity.

billdogg
05/20/2018, 08:04 AM
I'm with Sk8r on this. Any of the brittle stars except the green brittle star are a fine addition, as are any of the serpent stars. I have a Harlequin Serpent star that I've had for at least 15 years. I see it only at feeding time when it is out scouring the sand for uneaten morsels.

Silly clownfish
05/22/2018, 08:43 AM
I agree with serpent and brittle stars being good choices and others not so much. I have had my serpent star for 18 years and brittle for 12years. I have never lost one of either species. I have not had success with fromia, but it has been over a decade since I tried one.

My serpent star even lost a leg at one point. It continued to wander the tank for a couple of weeks (kind pa weird- my own Cousin It). The arm regret within 6 months or so. I had always read that starfish do not regenerate arms in captivity, but mine did.

Visitors are impressed when I feed the tank and the serpent star comes out to make a fool of itself waving its arms around. I often don’t see the brittle star for weeks at a time because it stays under the rocks.

The only thing they have ever been a threat to is the serpent has eaten a couple os snails. The stsr’s central disk was stretched so far over the shell that I think it actually punctured once. It ground the shell down before regurgitating something that looked like a button.