PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Icecap K1 130 Protein skimmer

lpsouth1978
05/23/2018, 11:46 AM
I am in the process of setting up my new 40B (approx. 50g total volume) system and I am busy researching skimmers. I am not wanting to spend a fortune on this skimmer, but want something quality. I came across the Icecap K1 130 and was intrigued. It is one of the VERY few skimmers that will fit in the 1st chamber of my sump (this would allow me to also have a fuge).

Does anyone have any experience with this skimmer? It looks like it is pretty new, so I may have to be a guinea pig here. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks

reeftivo
05/23/2018, 03:48 PM
not sure about those pumps. the K2 series are a little pricier but use sicces (proven pumps) i believe. An aquamaxx ConeS CO1 skimmer would rock that size system. i have one and ran it on a similar size system.

lpsouth1978
05/23/2018, 04:27 PM
not sure about those pumps. the K2 series are a little pricier but use sicces (proven pumps) i believe. An aquamaxx ConeS CO1 skimmer would rock that size system. i have one and ran it on a similar size system.

Thanks for the response. There are 2 reason that I am interested in this skimmer.

1) It will fit in my sumps first chamber. I only have 6" and this just fits.

2) I like the price. I am trying to keep the skimmer under $200.

The others that I am looking at are the Reef Octopus Classic 110INT or the Simplicity 120 DC Skimmer. These skimmers are all the same price, however either of these two would require me to put them in the middle chamber of my sump. This means that there would be no fuge.

According to Icecap, they switched to this pump because the Sicce has a 1yr warranty, while the new one has a 2yr warranty. If you know of any other skimmers that are less than 6" wide, I would love the recommendations.

reeftivo
05/23/2018, 05:43 PM
I hear ya!

if they are offering a 2 year warranty on that pump then go for it.

i dont know of any skimmer that would work for those dimensions other than Tunze (9005) and they are finicky & pricy. bubble magus makes that crazy Z6 skimmer that has a DC pump on it. that would fit but no reviews.

i would say go for the ICE CAP based on the design. that Z6 skimmer looks interesting though and i do like DC skimmer pumps after using my ATB nano one skimmer-Hmm?

decisions decisions

good luck and maybe another reefer will chime in with some small suggestions.

you could always go bigger and dump the fuge area for a chaeto reactor instead and run that with the skimmer.